Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 7,090 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to CH this coming summer for his 3 year residency program and then definitely moving to another state afterwards. We have been looking at houses that are for rent and haven't found anything that we LOVE so now we are starting to think about buying a property and leasing it out afterwards.

We found a new construction by David Weekley that we really like from the pictures. It's off of W Barbee Chapel Hill Road by Five Guys, Pure Barre and Harris Teeter. We are trying to figure out if it's 1) convenient to the dental school since that is where my husband will be going for his program 2) a good location to lease out.

I went on google maps and it doesn't seem like the free bus line goes by it, but the 800 does - which I believe is not free? I feel like that would make the location less desirable to students. My husband will probably bike to the school.

Looking for any and all suggestions and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,839,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtl4f View Post
so now we are starting to think about buying a property and leasing it out afterwards.
Have you been a landlord before? It can be very time consuming, and especially difficult if you will be living in another state. (The classic example is how are you going to handle a 2AM call for an overflowing toilet?) There are companies you can hire to manage your property, but after you subtract what they charge, you often are barely breaking even.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:05 AM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Are you talking about David Weekley's Montclair community?
It isn't in Meadowmont. It is on Barbee Chapel Rd., but at Farrington Mill Rd/Farrington Rd.

You are wise to be curious about the bike ride. If you are considering Montclair, it is about a 4.5 mile bike ride and it would not be one I would choose.
And, I agree with Don about landlording. However, you may be able to get a corporate lease, or lease to another professional in similar circumstances. You will not be in student rental territory, which is something I would avoid with a newer tract-built house anyway.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,801,137 times
And if you did want to be a landlord in a college town, new construction for $400K+ a ways out from campus is about the least sensible path to take.
If you could get in early you might catch some appreciation and then sell in three years. A much better plan that converting a home like that to a rental.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:39 PM

13,325 posts, read 26,808,864 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving to CH this coming summer for his 3 year residency program and then definitely moving to another state afterwards. We have been looking at houses that are for rent and haven't found anything that we LOVE so now we are starting to think about buying a property and leasing it out afterwards.
I think it would be more sensible to realize that you will not "LOVE" any rental house. I'd suggest moderating your expectations and find a place that is close to your husband's work. After all, won't he be working a lot of long hours in a residency?

A second reasonable choice would be to buy and then resell after 3 years.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:15 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,333,474 times
Quote:

We found a new construction by David Weekley that we really like from the pictures. It's off of W Barbee Chapel Hill Road by Five Guys, Pure Barre and Harris Teeter. We are trying to figure out if it's 1) convenient to the dental school since that is where my husband will be going for his program 2) a good location to lease out.

I went on google maps and it doesn't seem like the free bus line goes by it, but the 800 does - which I believe is not free? I feel like that would make the location less desirable to students. My husband will probably bike to the school.

Looking for any and all suggestions and opinions!
Not a good plan, imo. As goldenage suggested, moderate your expectations and rent.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 AM

13,325 posts, read 26,808,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you talking about David Weekley's Montclair community?
It isn't in Meadowmont. It is on Barbee Chapel Rd., but at Farrington Mill Rd/Farrington Rd.
.... You will not be in student rental territory, which is something I would avoid with a newer tract-built house anyway.
I only saw David Weekly building at Montclair and Briar Chapel. Montclair is closer to the UNC Dental School.

We have been out-of-state landlords twice. It was not by choice, and only because it was the best solution at the time. I don't recommend it. You are unlikely to make money if you are paying a normal mortgage, HOA fees and taxes. If you need tax write-offs, that is another story.

Howver, Montclair seems like a good location if you want to buy and resell in three years.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,093,938 times
My FIL was an apt. super. Helped him out at times.

You'd probably not believe the damage and trouble a bad tenant can cause. Not being in the area will make things worse.

Since you know your residence here will be limited, seriously consider an apt.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:34 PM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Howver, Montclair seems like a good location if you want to buy and resell in three years.

Agreed. But, buy it right, and not with all the "Dream" accouterments that won't bring value. Look at it like a cold business venture.
Average or smaller for the subdivision.
Smart choices in option $ investment.
Uncompromised lot/location in the neighborhood.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,341,265 times
Why do you have to absolutely love a rental home? It's just for 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary