Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Tell my parents that they have to sleep on a sofa bed for a week - let me know how that goes

Especially for transplants (more out of town guests), it's really nice to have the extra bedroom.
If there is only 2 of you, what are you doing with the other 2 bedrooms?!! Why can't the parents sleep on the sofa bed in the bonus room? Are you willing to give up something else in your home that has the same value? Will you give up a 1 car garage so your parents can have a bedroom that they only use 1 week out of the year? If that is a yes, that is fine. As long as you make that decision based on that knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
there is only 2 of you, what are you doing with the other 2 bedrooms?!! Why can't the parents sleep on the sofa bed in the bonus room? Are you willing to give up something else in your home that has the same value? Will you give up a 1 car garage so your parents can have a bedroom that they only use 1 week out of the year? If that is a yes, that is fine. As long as you make that decision based on that knowledge.
Well you would assume that a young couple looking for four bedrooms is planning on having kids.

Spare bedroom also has closet space that can be used year round, and can also be used as an office if enough room.

I don't think anyone in the thread was looking to sacrifice something else for a fourth bedroom.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Well you would assume that a young couple looking for four bedrooms is planning on having kids.

Spare bedroom also has closet space that can be used year round, and can also be used as an office if enough room.

I don't think anyone in the thread was looking to sacrifice something else for a fourth bedroom.
Good point. Buyers don't WANT to sacrifice for a 4th bedroom but there is a cost associated. And sometimes when you have a budget, you can't have it all!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Most of the time the bonus room over the garage is poorly insulated (ceiling and floor and windows) and not built as well (size and number of floor joists - over garage) as the regular part of the house. Sometimes the knee walls are less than 4 feet. It is not plumbed (maybe because of the exposure of the floor to outside. So IMO, the large room is only for storage unless improvements are made.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Most of the time the bonus room over the garage is poorly insulated (ceiling and floor and windows) and not built as well (size and number of floor joists - over garage) as the regular part of the house. Sometimes the knee walls are less than 4 feet. It is not plumbed (maybe because of the exposure of the floor to outside. So IMO, the large room is only for storage unless improvements are made.
My bonus room was built with the rest of my house. Building codes were used to build the entire home. Not sure of the accuracy of your statement.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
One of my current neighbors used that spray-in foam product to insulate his upstairs. He claims that stuff is far superior to traditional fiberglass insulation. Anybody here have any long term experience with it?

Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I'm stunned that y'all think a northerner expects a basement to be for storage. Basements are for Rec Rooms!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Most of the time the bonus room over the garage is poorly insulated (ceiling and floor and windows) and not built as well (size and number of floor joists - over garage) as the regular part of the house.
I would be suprised if an architect purposely de-rated the live load of the floor in the bonus room over the garage verses the rest of the second floor. As far as building codes, the Energy Code doesn't stipulate a different roof insulation requirement based upon the purpose of the room to my knowledge, it should be consistent across the house. Obviously, some type of attic conversion, especially if completed by a DIY'er could be completed to any standard, or lack there-of.

I would concede that the HVAC system is often not designed, installed and balanced correctly for the space in a bonus room verses the other spaces on the second floor in the houses we have been in and owned.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm stunned that y'all think a northerner expects a basement to be for storage. Basements are for Rec Rooms!
Yup, that's where you find the bar and all the wood paneling. Weird 1/2 to 1/4 bathrooms are optional!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That was my understanding as well...but I am from SC, not further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary