Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I always wonder why people in Apex and Cary are always on here saying how great their town is. The last thing I want is more people moving near me!

THIS! I don't get it either. Maybe people in Fuquay are doing it right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
When we were house hunting, there were a lot of draws to Fuquay. Good housing prices/amount of land, some really unique little shops and eateries, the splash pad that was coming, etc. But we just couldn't get into the 30 extra min for hubby to get to work and I wanted to be closer to some more of the big box stores. We ended up choosing Garner which has less of the unique/funky kind of stuff but has plenty of family friendly things, still decent home prices but a little less yard, and is really close to downtown and most other places.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 AM

789 posts, read 368,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
traffic is now a joke--took me 15 minutes to go 3.8 miles the other day. Basically from one side of town to the other. If I did not work in Fuquay I would not choose to live here. They put in 55 bypass about 2004. That road is a joke--not a bypass anymore. Sunset Lake road gets backed up from 401 all the way up to Ballentine subdivision. They keep approving houses and there are no more roads that can be built to alleviate traffic. The town boards magic plan is to upgrade the Sunset Lake road/401 intersection and to finish Judd parkway. Too little too late....all I can tell you is before you buy a house here, drive your commute and drive around town at 5:00pm.
Definitely do this!

I live just north of downtown Holly Springs and I avoid Sunset Lake Rd and 55 (toward FV) after ~4:30pm. It is terrible.

The "superroad" is anything but...and Sunset Lake is one-lane either way. The signal at Sunset Lake and 401 is timed badly with the one before it (at the Smithfield's BBQ) and is one of the causes the giant backup mentioned above. There are times that only 3 or 4 vehicles get through the light because of the short distance between the two. I spent 45 minutes one time (no bad weather) within sight of the light before getting across the intersection - luckily we left extra early for our appointment.

My wife and I were thinking about moving and I removed FV from the list of possible locations due to the traffic situation.

If the Aviator wasn't there, we'd probably avoid FV altogether

Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Traffic is horrible in F-V, Holly Springs and Apex. Ironically, Cary does the best job of handling traffic on this side of Wake.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM

61 posts, read 50,237 times
We are coming down next weekend to look around at areas on my list. I'm so anxious to see what "bad traffic" in NC is. We live in the suburbs of Washington DC now, I'm hoping that NC's bad traffic is not comparable to ours! We decided that we want to be in Wake County due to schools for the kids. I work from home so commuting is not even part of our decision which makes it a lot easier. I'm always reading things about Cary, Holly Springs, Apex and I was just wondering what was up with Fuquay because a lot of the houses that we like are located there! It sounds like the only "bad" thing about it is the traffic, thanks for the input!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I always wonder why people in Apex and Cary are always on here saying how great their town is. The last thing I want is more people moving near me!
Most people are just trying to be helpful.

Besides, as long as others think the location is desirable, the prices will continue to climb!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
We are coming down next weekend to look around at areas on my list. I'm so anxious to see what "bad traffic" in NC is. We live in the suburbs of Washington DC now, I'm hoping that NC's bad traffic is not comparable to ours! We decided that we want to be in Wake County due to schools for the kids. I work from home so commuting is not even part of our decision which makes it a lot easier. I'm always reading things about Cary, Holly Springs, Apex and I was just wondering what was up with Fuquay because a lot of the houses that we like are located there! It sounds like the only "bad" thing about it is the traffic, thanks for the input!

The traffic here is nothing compared to the beltway lol

I live in Fuquay and at times there is heavy traffic for the area. If you are from a small town you will be overwhelmed with the traffic here. Coming from the DC area you will hardly notice it!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM

61 posts, read 50,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The traffic here is nothing compared to the beltway lol

I live in Fuquay and at times there is heavy traffic for the area. If you are from a small town you will be overwhelmed with the traffic here. Coming from the DC area you will hardly notice it!
Lol! That's what I figured!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
Nothing here compares to the traffic in DC. Rush hour lasts an hour here on either end. If you don't want to be in their rush hour, leave a bit earlier or a bit later. The traffic here is bad compared to how it used to be, but it is nowhere near as bad as DC where rush hour is 3 hours every morning and 3-4 hours in the evening with mid-day traffic and I-95 N-S traffic thrown into the mix. After 22 years in the DC metro, I have been here almost 4 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have sat in bad traffic. You will be very pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 26,195 times
Nothing wrong with Fuquay. Like others mentioned it is just further from Raleigh. The growth there has been incredible as well. Population has surged over the past few decades and the place looks nothing like it once was.

The schools are not as good and the planning seems a little odd. Highway 401 has more "driveways/entrances" to businesses than any road I have seen. It adds to the congestion along that stretch to the main thorughfares of Judd Pkwy, Sunset Lake Rd, etc. I think it makes Fuquay lack character when driving through by mistake and makes it appear kind of junky with just a bunch of chain restaurants and stores.

However, Fuquay has invested in their two downtown areas and local businesses have popped up in the two "downtown" areas of Fuquay because of this. They have some nice shops, bars, restaurants and I think it will only get better. This does provide a nice cultural experience and provides an identity to Fuquay. I think they just have to figure out how to tie it all together is all.

There are some older homes near Fuquay Middle School that I'd take a look at. If I had to bet, some of those are going to be heavily desired in the coming years. They have a lot of character and are close to what is an up and coming part of downtown. Right now is a good time to obtain one of those properties if they become available. Values should only increase as the downtown portions are becoming vibrant they are close to.

There are a few spots that have some crime but I think those are concentrated locations with some section 8 housing. Nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary