Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM

256 posts, read 265,570 times

Advertisements

thank you north pinellas!

carolina- ugh, i didnt do the research yet, i am not thrilled!!! =(
i got so sick with lyme i figured escaping the area would be a nice thing, but RMSF can be worse!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:39 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,519,222 times
The RTP is a big area and if you have kids you have three choices, Wake County, Private or Chapel Hill city. If you do not have kids there is Durham - Look in the Hope Valley area.

A lot of the older subdivisions in both N. Raleigh and Cary have 1 acre of land. Not common in the new subdivisions. Living in the RTP is subdivision living.

Summers are long hot and humid and buggy. Winters are a joke (I lived in Upstate NY). I never got Lyme disease or anything else living in NC and I am an avid hiker. I did get Lyme disease in Boston when I lived there.

The culture here is different than NY, so maybe Cary since there are a lot of NY/NJ transplants who have settled there.

I prefer the RTP to Charlotte and Triad because of the RTP, universities and healthcare for starters. I don't recommend anything East of Raleigh or SC (except Charleston) for NY moving South.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,981,227 times
I suggest all New Yorkers move to Cary.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,847,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I thought that was mandatory, anyways. Is it not?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 AM

162 posts, read 210,654 times
I would focus on Raleigh (Inside the Beltline), North Raleigh and Cary over the weekend. I think that would give you a good feel for the area.

If your husband really wants land, however, you might want to expand the search further North to Wake Forest or further South/West to Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay possibly even Clayton in Johnston County. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 AM

256 posts, read 265,570 times
Mandatory to move to Cary eh? I'm taking notes.....

Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,267,210 times
Current Long Islander here looking to be a Raleigh-ite (Raleigh-er? lol) spring 2017. We don't have children and are in our 40's, also looking for the better pace and environment that Raleigh provides.

I started research on the internet, and quickly realized this forum is has a wealth of information for the taking. I have done numerous searches and read a lot about what matters to me, which will be different for you. So I recommend you do the same, and get a handle on what the Raleigh experience would be like before you visit.

I visited in October and posted about my adventures here

Now that we have that initial trip under our belts, we are coming back, in May, for at least a week. The first trip was mostly research with a little enjoyment thrown in, this time we are getting specific to an area we think we like and plan to do touristy things that we didn't get to do last time.

I know you said 600 replies is a lot but I think you should invest more time in research because you will have a much more successful visit if you formulate a plan ahead of time.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,342,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
Cary = Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Unfortunately, several seem to have escaped.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,115,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Hmm... I vote they move to your neighborhood. You do really like it out there.

Seriously, though, I welcome all New Yorkers. Come on down. We shall educate you on the ways of BBQ and when not to mention how much cheaper it is to buy a big house here.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,115,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
If you want to be able to walk into any grocery store (or your driveway) and throw a rock without missing a New Yorker, Cary is indeed your town.

Followed closely by Apex and North Raleigh, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary