Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,390 times

Advertisements

Has the time come for West Cary to establish itself as a separate City? It seems to be the Town of Cary 'stepchild' as infrastructure development in West Cary falls behind Housing developments, and ToC seems far more focused on its grandiose Downtown Development. It would be interesting to see how Tax dollars raised per capita are spent in the different Districts as I am sure many other West Cary residents consider this is an issue. For example, failure to start upgrading Carpenter Firestation Road between NC55 and Cameron Pond; the unnecessary delay in the construction of the 'missing 800 yards of Morrisville Parkway' crossing the 540 Toll Road; the Planning Approval delays on commercial developments; the years of delay in building Mills Park despite the Cary Park developer providing the land free of charge 12 years ago, etc

Another example is the lack of day to day supervision by ToC over Utility companies who seem to leave works unattended for weeks on end for no apparent reason. The best example of this is how AT&T have left work at the pedestrian crosswalk on Green Level / Cary Glen abandoned for over 6 weeks making it virtually impossible for pedestrians to access the crosswalk signal with AT&T's fencing around it; that is one of the busiest crossings in Cary Park for residents wanting to access Cary Park Town Center on foot. Why doesn't the Town of Cary demand AT&T to complete whatever work they are doing and make the crosswalk safe for pedestrians? Does a child crossing the road to McDonalds have to get killed before action is taken?

Maybe it makes more sense for West Cary to join up with Morrisville as they have more in common than 'old' Cary and West Cary. Morrisville has demonstrated great leadership in how it has developed Grace Village (and the other developments at Davis Drive & Morrisville Carpenter), Park West Village and the Shiloh Glenn Walmart. In the meantime Cary has struggled to provide similar commercial development in West Cary despite the population there being substantially greater than Morrisville.
Attached Thumbnails
Should West Cary break away from Town of Cary?-green-level-cary-glen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:11 PM

43,018 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Town of Cary is not a commercial developer.
But, West Cary has its share of NIMBYs who will help stifle development.

Maybe West Cary Secessionists should hire the Bundy's to take the lead?

Long time owners in Downtown Cary have paid FAR more in property taxes to Cary than most anyone in West Cary.
It is about time they got a return.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM

133 posts, read 330,542 times
Beermat...maybe just move to Morrisville. Problem solved.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Town of Cary is not a commercial developer.
But, West Cary has its share of NIMBYs who will help stifle development.

Maybe West Cary Secessionists should hire the Bundy's to take the lead?

Long time owners in Downtown Cary have paid FAR more in property taxes to Cary than most anyone in West Cary.
It is about time they got a return.
LOL.

I'm cool with not seceding.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,228,231 times
I live in West Cary and I agree that the TOC is not particularly interested in infrastructure developments in the area. Let's be honest, that area of Cary is adding a lot to the town coffers, so they could throw us a bone or two with traffic and pedestrian safety. Green Hope School Rd is a particular issue of concern for me.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,027,273 times
could always move to an area you prefer better, maybe like Morrisville?
I've lived in central/old Cary for a long time and watched it decay and be neglected for decades while all efforts seemed to be placed on development in West Cary. They are finally doing something about this area and of course people gotta start complaining they aren't getting theirs...there is x amount of money to be spent and it has to be spread across projects that were decided on years ago...those of us in "old Cary" have stuck it out waiting a long time for these projects to come fruition while areas of west Cary are quite new in comparison.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I live in West Cary and I agree that the TOC is not particularly interested in infrastructure developments in the area. Let's be honest, that area of Cary is adding a lot to the town coffers, so they could throw us a bone or two with traffic and pedestrian safety. Green Hope School Rd is a particular issue of concern for me.
Residential development is not great tax base, but is high overhead.
That is why the commercial and business development are coveted.

Look at Publix trying to get into the opposite corner from HT out there, and the NIMBY Revolt.
That shopping center will pay nearly as much property tax as the entire club of cranks in the subdivision it backs to.
Publix Super Markets bypasses developer, pays top dollar for land in Cary

Who wants to invite more commercial/industrial into West Cary, so the area ponies up the big bucks to the town coffers?

Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,385 times
I feel like the town Council has very little sway in the things you've cited as issues, especially the road projects which are under NCDOT.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I feel like the town Council has very little sway in the things you've cited as issues, especially the road projects which are under NCDOT.
Exactly.
http://carync.maps.arcgis.com/apps/E...e_scroll=false

Old 01-05-2016, 03:59 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Didn't one of the recent town council winners run partially on a platform of keeping "old Cary" in mind? It was Cervania, I think.

The town is probably getting a bit big overall, but the alternative is Town of Cary becomes an umbrella over a bunch of small hamlets and villages, and I do not want to see that happen - just adds another layer of government and the mullarkey that brings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary