Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times

Advertisements

Well, I posted a few weeks ago that I had some fertility/period concerns, not realizing that I was/would shortly be pregnant!

So I'm pregnant, and went to visit my normal OB-GYN to confirm shortly after we took a few home tests. All good yay! But I was surprised when, knowing I was a fitness director/avid runner/weightlifter, the ob coordinator told me not to get my HR over 140 and told me not to lift anything over 25 lbs when I've been regularly doing so for many years. I am low risk/healthy weight/healthy BP and everything. I also wasn't blown away by her and need to feel comfortable with who/where I'm delivering.

So my question is sort of twofold I suppose. I'm looking for some supportive prenatal care where I'm told to avoid doing anything for the next 8 months, and I think I'm looking for more of a birth center experience rather than a hospital experience. But I'm open to a hospital if I can be the driver if that makes sense? Can anyone recommend some care for me where I will feel more comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 03:07 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
No recommendations, but a big congratulations! Pregnancy and having a baby is such an exciting time! Best wishes!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Well, I posted a few weeks ago that I had some fertility/period concerns, not realizing that I was/would shortly be pregnant!

So I'm pregnant, and went to visit my normal OB-GYN to confirm shortly after we took a few home tests. All good yay! But I was surprised when, knowing I was a fitness director/avid runner/weightlifter, the ob coordinator told me not to get my HR over 140 and told me not to lift anything over 25 lbs when I've been regularly doing so for many years. I am low risk/healthy weight/healthy BP and everything. I also wasn't blown away by her and need to feel comfortable with who/where I'm delivering.

So my question is sort of twofold I suppose. I'm looking for some supportive prenatal care where I'm told to avoid doing anything for the next 8 months, and I think I'm looking for more of a birth center experience rather than a hospital experience. But I'm open to a hospital if I can be the driver if that makes sense? Can anyone recommend some care for me where I will feel more comfortable?
Did you ask specific questions as to the reason why the doctor told you this? Perhaps she is seeing an established health pattern or there is a possible issue since you previously had fertility issues.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you ask specific questions as to the reason why the doctor told you this? Perhaps she is seeing an established health pattern or there is a possible issue since you previously had fertility issues.
This.

Did you ask her why she made these recommendations?

It could be her playing it cautious until you are out of the woods some. Most miscarriages occur in the first 12 weeks.

She may loosen up a bit as your pregnancy progresses. Especially with the HR restriction.

You probably shouldn't lift over 25 lbs if you had fertility issues.

I dunno who you have been seeing, but I like Elizabeth Barrett.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Just to clarify, I had no fertility issues. I was reallllllly paranoid since I had heavy periods and some folks said that could mean fibroids/etc. Knock on wood we didn't try really and I ended up pregnant!

No reason given, when I asked she said that's the guidelines they gave all women!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:03 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Congrats! No advice on who to see, but I agree with the others. If you have questions - ask - be your own advocate. You'd be unpleasantly surprised how much "rote" stuff comes out of medical professional's mouths. I had a very ... interesting ... twin pregnancy and by the end I was making them do a lot of thinking about why things "had to be done" a certain way.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Just to clarify, I had no fertility issues. I was reallllllly paranoid since I had heavy periods and some folks said that could mean fibroids/etc. Knock on wood we didn't try really and I ended up pregnant!

No reason given, when I asked she said that's the guidelines they gave all women!
Yeah. Go question that. I would. Most docs fear legal action too much to openly suggest that women exert themselves too much while pregnant.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
The birth center in Chapel Hill is great. I don't know much about the one in Cary, but I've heard their ads on NPR.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah. Go question that. I would. Most docs fear legal action too much to openly suggest that women exert themselves too much while pregnant.
OB/GYN in particular have very high malpractice rates. In NY a lot of doctors were starting to practice GYN only to lower their premiums.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The birth center in Chapel Hill is great. I don't know much about the one in Cary, but I've heard their ads on NPR.
I visited Cary! I liked it and the midwife essentially told me as far as physical activity, I was fine to do things within reason provided I listened to my body. She said I could still teach all my classes, but that now was not the time to be picking up any new physical goals - I won't be running any marathons in this time. But I'm running (slowly) and lifting to the point of breaking a sweat, but I'm not killing myself. Physical activity is such an ingrained part of my daily life that I can't imagine dropping it.

There is one big but though. The birth center in Cary doesn't have admitting privileges so if something goes wrong, I would be transported but would no longer be hanging out with the midwife. Kinda scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary