Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM

326 posts, read 384,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMomof3 View Post
With all the amenities that your communities seem to have, hopefully we can forgo that. We are not your typical "country club" person as the stereotype suggests. But needed to join one to get all the benefits that seems to be plentiful in the Raleigh communities (or at least some of them)
You can definitely find lots of neighborhoods here that have their own amenities (pool, playground, tennis courts, etc.) without having to join a country club. You'll just pay a little extra in HOA dues. For example, my neighborhood has HOA dues of $1,000/yr and we have a junior olympic size pool, small basketball ct, 2 tennis courts, and a soccer/multiuse field (our HOA dues also cover all the cost of the common area maintenance and landscaping).

I think North Raleigh, Cary and Apex would all be good places for you to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:10 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I think you should also take a look at Brier Creek Country Club. Though I can't comment on the schools, everything else you are looking for is here in a location that is closer to DT Raleigh than Cary.

ETA: Don't accept a house in the Regency neighborhood of BCCC. It's 95% seniors. No kids. And yes, we a have a few houses in that size range.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:14 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I could be wrong, Mike, (my wife tells me I often am) but I don't think there's a refundable option at Prestonwood anymore. Currently, full non-refundable membership is listed at $24,000 with 20% discount for full payment upfront, bringing it to $19,200. Vickie Gregory in the membership department can answer any questions the OP has (vgregory@prestonwoodcc.com).
You aren't all wrong, or all right. I empathize, as it is a way of life for me.

I made the call and just got off the phone with Vickie.

$24000 for Full Membership, @ $505/month.
Going to $25,000 this spring.

But... Refundable is still available. The catch: People who drop membership wait 12-14 years for their money to be refunded. So, they aren't getting any of them sold.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM

369 posts, read 460,083 times
North Ridge Country Club and it's neighborhood might be a good fit for your family.

I also agree with the previous poster who suggested the North Hills area. Would be a nice quick commute to DTR. There are quite a few country clubs in the area that you can join that have golf/tennis/swimming.

Check out CASL for the travel soccer team.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:52 PM

703 posts, read 780,103 times
PaMomof3, I sent you a direct message on this topic. Check your inbox.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
North Ridge Country Club and it's neighborhood might be a good fit for your family.

I also agree with the previous poster who suggested the North Hills area. Would be a nice quick commute to DTR. There are quite a few country clubs in the area that you can join that have golf/tennis/swimming.

Check out CASL for the travel soccer team.
I grew up belonging to North Ridge and it is a nice club (though this was decades ago, it's still true). HOWEVER, I would not by any means call it a "nice quick commute to downtown" unless someone is from Atlanta, DC, etc. Falls of (the) Neuse Road is the main corridor heading down and it gets pretty full during commute times. It might be under (probably right around, once you consider parking downtown and walking to the office) the desired 30 mins, but certainly never less than 20, and I wouldn't call it "nice quick". But, it would meet the needs of OP. I also went to North Ridge Elementary which is in that neighborhood, but again, decades ago so I can't comment on it now.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Travel soccer doesn't exist in the Triangle as you know it. What you want is for your son to try out for CASL Challenge, unless he's amazing, in which case you can try and skip Challenge and go to Classic. But I have to warn you, CASL is a machine, a very, very, very big machine and not very flexible. Also, I believe Challenge/Classic teams train at the WRAL complex which can be quite the haul. There may be something run closer to Cary at the WakeMed soccer park but I'm not familiar with it (and it's not CASL, a nationally recognized program known for spawning serious national team-like talent).

As for swim teams, welcome to the Triangle and the TSA (Tarheel Swim Association). Each area sub-division with a community pool and various organizations (e.g., YMCA's) compete over a six week period beginning in June. Training starts a bit earlier and it's quite a big deal 'round here. It's also an amazing way to meet your neighbors who have children near your own children's age. There are other, competitive swim organizations but that will be where you'll want to start.

Good luck with the scoping and planning.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:19 PM

369 posts, read 460,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I grew up belonging to North Ridge and it is a nice club (though this was decades ago, it's still true). HOWEVER, I would not by any means call it a "nice quick commute to downtown" unless someone is from Atlanta, DC, etc. Falls of (the) Neuse Road is the main corridor heading down and it gets pretty full during commute times. It might be under (probably right around, once you consider parking downtown and walking to the office) the desired 30 mins, but certainly never less than 20, and I wouldn't call it "nice quick". But, it would meet the needs of OP. I also went to North Ridge Elementary which is in that neighborhood, but again, decades ago so I can't comment on it now.

Read my post again. I said it would be a quick commute from North Hills.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:28 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
If you are serious about equestrian sports, go to google maps for Raleigh then type "equestrian near Raleigh NC" in the search box. It will show where all the horse places tend to be. Several will be obsolete entries, so you will need to confirm, but at least you will get an idea where those areas are concentrated.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 82,518 times
Summer swim leagues are largely dependent on the neighborhood you choose (though there are also a few club teams). The TSA has, as I recall, over 80 teams. There's a Durham Summer Swim League that appears to have 17 teams, and there's a Raleigh Area Country Club swim league with 5 teams.

There's a very robust set of year-round teams too. Please check out the Marlins of Raleigh, Raleigh Swimming Association, YMCA of the Triangle, TAC Titans, and North Carolina Aquatic Club. We are fortunate enough to have many of the USA Swimming meets held in Cary at TAC, or an hour away in Greensboro at GAC.

As another poster pointed out, summer swim is a lot of fun and a great way to meet neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary