Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing more confusion over which town/city certain places are actually located in, because many times the mailing address is different than the physical address. In many instances, a neighborhood in town X has a town Y mailing address, as it is serviced by a post office which is closer to their home. It may be getting to the point that this needs to be corrected. Even some realtors are confused over what town certain neighborhoods are actually in. In one instance, a development has changed its advertising to make it appear that it is in one town, when it is actually in another....because the mailing address is more advantageous for selling purposes.

I bet you that if all the mailing addresses were changed to match the physical location of the properties, a lot of home owners would say " Holy crap! I don't live in (insert town) after all". I wonder if they would think there house is worth more or less, once discovering this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
I would hope most home owners know who's picking up their trash and who they're paying their taxes to.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Post office delivery areas and city limits aren't the same. And I don't think the post office changes its addresses. I used to live in Winston-Salem, inside the city limits, but had a Kernersville mailing address. Confused the heck out of me at first. I called the town of K'ville to find out when trash collection was, only to be told they didn't serve my address. Apparently, that area had been assigned long ago to the K'ville post office, but was later annexed into W-S.

Here in Southport, where I live now, the Southport mailing address area includes many other incorporated towns such as Bald Head Island, Boiling Spring Lakes, St. James, etc. They all get their mail with a Southport address, even though they are in a different municipality.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 AM

425 posts, read 462,274 times
It is quite complicated and confusing in certain areas. It's definitely not as simple as who picks up your trash in all areas.

Technically, the house we just bought has an Apex address, but IMAPs list the township as Swift Creek. We pay county taxes only.

Oh, and Waste Management picks up the trash :-)

Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I had a client once that wanted to purchase a home in Heritage but wanted a Wake Forest address instead of a Rolesville address.

She told this to the onsite agent at Heritage when we visited. Agent gave us a few addresses of homes being built and we decided to visit the homes.

As we passed the "Rolesville City Limits" sign, I told her that I thought these homes would have a Rolesville address. We found the home she wanted and went back to the sales center. I asked onsite agent about the address and she really wasn't sure. I called the Town of Rolesville to verify and yes, the house my buyer wanted had a Rolesville address.

Rolesville Town Manager was super nice. Said he had this question come up all the time. He explained to my buyer that she would have a Rolesville address AND would be under the Rolesville Fire Dept., as well.

And although this buyer wanted a Wake Forest address, she decided to buy that home that had a Rolesville address. Even so, I'm glad we didn't take the onsite agent's word on this and we checked it out by going to the "source".

Sometimes it matters and sometimes it does not.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Plat maps, and tax maps and bills pretty well tell people what municipality jurisdiction a property is in, and they are very easily found, particularly in Wake County and for any resale property.

The US Postal Service is not a municipality, and routes mail as it suits them.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
I had the same issue when I rented a few years back. I had a Raleigh address, paid Raleigh for my water but think that Garner was responsible for our trash collection and we did technically live in the Garner limits. Really bizarre...

Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Even so, I'm glad we didn't take the onsite agent's word on this and we checked it out by going to the "source".

Sometimes it matters and sometimes it does not.
Excellent point, especially with the neighborhood sales agents.

I am curious how the section of Cary located in Chatham County works. What schools do they go to, who do the pay taxes to, what mailing address, etc etc. That really seems strange to live in Cary, but in another county.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I would hope most home owners know who's picking up their trash and who they're paying their taxes to.
Not always that simple, unfortunately. Especially if you are a renter of the home.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Excellent point, especially with the neighborhood sales agents.

I am curious how the section of Cary located in Chatham County works. What schools do they go to, who do the pay taxes to, what mailing address, etc etc. That really seems strange to live in Cary, but in another county.
They would be zoned to Chatham County schools, pay Chatham County and Cary taxes. There are several cities in NC that cross county lines...Rocky Mount and High Point come to mind. It is an odd situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary