Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:43 PM

307 posts, read 672,733 times

Advertisements

The "Call Before You Dig" people have apparently been in my neighborhood as they have marked the right-of-way with white dashed lines. According to the color code, white is for "excavation." We recently inquired about getting natural gas, but we haven't been given a conclusive answer. The color code for gas is yellow. Is it possible that the white lines indicate excavation to install gas lines? If not, what would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM

86 posts, read 123,602 times
Those "Call Before You Dig" guys only mark existing utilities for surveyors to record or in areas where there might be construction. You are correct in assuming Yellow as the color code for Gas, but I don't know what White might be (maybe telephone?). As for future gas installation, you should see the Gas company or a surveyor doing the marking for that. I also imagine that you would be contacted about it before they even start to dig.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:06 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,769,745 times
Google fiber crews were in N Raleigh (27609) this past week marking with white spray paint. Notice left at house says digging may begin in next couple of weeks.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
Those "Call Before You Dig" guys only mark existing utilities for surveyors to record or in areas where there might be construction. You are correct in assuming Yellow as the color code for Gas, but I don't know what White might be (maybe telephone?). As for future gas installation, you should see the Gas company or a surveyor doing the marking for that. I also imagine that you would be contacted about it before they even start to dig.
White is communications - but in Australia :-)

White is excavation in the US. Often you'll see white outlines on existing pavement where road repairs will happen.

Frank

Old 01-15-2016, 03:05 PM

510 posts, read 900,665 times
white is proposed excavation . I believe these are standard colors throughout the U.S.

Color Codes

Old 01-16-2016, 03:50 PM

13 posts, read 16,872 times
I have seen directional boring crews (such as those working on Google fiber) using white for marking their boring.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Most likely it's for either AT&T or Google Fiber line work. They're both out in full force right now trying to beat each other for service.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:57 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
AT&T is our neighborhood and they put a white square/rectangle with arrows on the street in front of where they installed metal plates over big holes in our grass. They did not put any white markings where they dug holes and replaced the grass.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:54 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
AT&T is our neighborhood and they put a white square/rectangle with arrows on the street in front of where they installed metal plates over big holes in our grass. They did not put any white markings where they dug holes and replaced the grass.
Doesn't mean this still isn't a fiber install. They're using various contractors to get this work done.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:57 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
A water main contractor told me on Friday that ATT is using cable that the utility locators will not be able to find with their devices, because it is not properly shielded. Said they wouldn't wait for the proper cable which is in great demand, of course.
Sounded odd to me.
Anyone have a clue on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: