Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 PM

250 posts, read 693,963 times

Advertisements

I live in a Raleigh condominium that was incorporated before the NC Condominium Act became effective (Oct 1, 1986) and my Association’s Declaration makes the Association responsible for repairing damages to a unit caused by a lack of maintenance in the common area (e.g., a deteriorated roof leaks and damages a unit ceiling).

The NC Condominium Act has a provision (which does not retroactively apply to my Association) that “Each unit owner is responsible for maintenance, repair and replacement of his unit.” It's my understanding this means a unit owner is responsible for ALL damages to his or her unit, including those caused by a lack of maintenance in the common area. Is this right?

If you live in a condo that was incorporated after Oct 1, 1986 and is governed by this provision (your condominium documents may repeat it - do they?), what does it mean for you and other condo owners in your condominium? For example, if a unit is damaged by a roof leak caused by inadequate maintenance, is the condo owner or the Association responsible for the repairs? If a neighbor’s water heater leaks and damages your floors, who is responsible?

You don't have to live in a condo to respond - any info that helps me better understand the meaning and effects of the 1986 provision will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:59 AM

514 posts, read 602,437 times
I know it sounds like a non-answer but I would start by asking a real estate attorney. It still may come down to interpretation of the legal documents but that would be my first call.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 AM

250 posts, read 693,963 times
Thanks, adamwmcknight. I agree it's a question for an attorney, but I'd also like to hear from people who live in a condominium incorporated after Oct 1, 1986. What are they and their fellow unit owners experiencing? If a roof leak damages a unit, who pays for the unit repairs, the Association of the unit owner?

I realize that many condos in the Triangle are so new that they are not likely to have leaking roofs or water heaters, but the law is getting old enough that some might be showing up.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
My understanding is for a condominium, when it talks about a unit, it is the inside of walls in. As you said, the roof is a common area and usually the siding, brick, whatever makes up the outer walls also.

Not being an attorney, it seems that generally, if someone causes damage to your property, they are responsible for making you whole and so the association should fix your damages from their roof leaking. Again, as a layman, I don't see anything in that sentence that says you have to accept damage from the association. But there may be something elsewhere that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: