Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM

62 posts, read 131,313 times

Advertisements

My house needs a new roof and I'm considering putting a light grey on one side that has direct sun and then on the other side a darker grey which is in the shade. You cannot see both sides of the house roof at the same time, the only way to notice would be looking at an aerial view. The roofing contractor told me it would be weird and would hurt resale to have two different colored roof sides as potential buyers would question it.... I don't plan on moving anytime soon but do hope to move before needing another 30yr roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM

115 posts, read 135,465 times
Just do the light gray everywhere.

Yes, it would be weird, and if you did ever want/need to sell it could definitely hurt your asking price.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
I'm curious...
Why the two tone?
I understand the light gray. Why the dark gray?
And, how would you deal with ridge vent and ridge capping colors? That can be seen from front or back.

And, I tend to agree that it would not receive a positive reception on the market.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Choose one or the other. There will always be a surprise situation where you will see or at least be aware of two colors. It will look like you had a big repair job on one side or the other but could not afford to re-roof the whole house. Probably not the concept you are looking for.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:34 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Yep, weird.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,082 times
Good luck in selling the house.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM

386 posts, read 436,474 times
do you have neighbors and/or an HOA?

Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM

56 posts, read 63,363 times
The roofer is right. It would hurt you on resale even if it went unnoticed until the inspection. I assume it's either a creative energy-saving plan (absorb more light on the dark side?) or perhaps to combat tree related stains on that, but it is best not to get too creative when it comes to things that are difficult to change.

I have friends who added an addition to their home some years back. I think it was handled as well as could be, they hired an architect, designed the space to meet their needs and add future value to the house. I thought the end result looked good and it served them well for some years but changed the look of the home to the extent that it was "too different", overbuilt for the neighborhood, etc. When it was time to move selling was a nightmare, they couldn't get anywhere near the price the extra square footage should have earned on paper. A two-tone roof isn't the same as an addition but has some shared traits (too unique and would hurt you at resale even if consistency with neighbors isn't a concern).

Old 01-19-2016, 07:33 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
To be light or to be dark, that is the question.
Tis nobler to ask then to do in this case.

Okay all Shakespeare aside.

1. Its your house. You pick the colors. You are paying for it,
2. If you will be living in the house a long long long time who cares about resale?
3. If your HOA Police are A-Okay with it.....then as Nike says....'just do It'.

I suppose you can always paint it to make the light to dark or the dark to light if you want to have a quick sale get away plan in case you are in it or the short term.

I don't think it weird.....its creative, bold, a statement..IMHO.

May the force be with you in your decision.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM

166 posts, read 163,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
2. If you will be living in the house a long long long time who cares about resale?
Cripes on a bike. No offense to you good sir but I think I just read some of the more careless advice I've seen since "go ahead and tattoo your college sweethearts name on your forehead, cuz you two will prolly never break up or anything".

While it's true some people stay in their homes a long time, perhaps even indefinitely, the number of people who can be absolutely positive whether their situation will or won't change (whether job related, family related, etc) and they may need a different home is probably the same number of people who win the power ball each year. In fact, I think they are the same actual individuals who win the power ball, because you'd need that kind of money to be able to buy a home without being well advised to think about the resale BEFORE you make the purchase.

The average homeowner stays in their home less than 10 years. Odds of not needing to be concerned with resale are slim for the vast majority of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: