Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
HT moved across Maynard to the old Galaxy Cinema property a year and a half ago. The old HT building at CTC is now a trampoline park.
I knew that. I was thinking that was part of the property associated with the mall, but I see it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Yep, it's part of the Village Square development across Cary Towne Blvd.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Wegmans will get what they want, but there is gonna be a lot of parties to be satisfied before the project goes through approvals.

I had one across the street growing up, they bought a block of single family homes and knocked them all down to build in my city. Then the lot sat for 4 years vacant before they broke ground. The move slow.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 PM

The developer is submitting a revised proposal more heavily focused on office, but Wegmans is still a part of it.

Developer proposes office-driven site with Wegmans across from Cary Towne Center | News & Observer

Old 04-19-2016, 08:13 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Goodwin said the project across the street could “serve as the catalyst for broader investment in the area and should spark additional investment in nearby properties along the eastern gateway.”
That assumes CBL actually gives a damn. John Kane was his own catalyst for reviving and turning North Hills into the mega center it is today. CBL should just knock most of Cary Towne down and build smart mixed use. Heck if they had the sense to do it sooner they could have probably retained Harris Teeter instead of them moving off property.

That or plow it all under and build homes. I don't know if we need another huge retail center or mall there anymore honestly. Especially considering how everything has shot off to either Crossroads or Park West.

I dunno.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The developer is submitting a revised proposal more heavily focused on office, but Wegmans is still a part of it.

Developer proposes office-driven site with Wegmans across from Cary Towne Center | News & Observer
Sounds like that will be an easier approval as well, based on a couple comments.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post

That or plow it all under and build homes. I don't know if we need another huge retail center or mall there anymore honestly. Especially considering how everything has shot off to either Crossroads or Park West.
I like you idea of homes there since everything new in Cary feels like (is) it's being built on the west side but doubt they would want to lose the business tax base of the mall area (even though it's declined so much in recent years). If it can't be rezoned residential I would like to see the mall be taken down and a North Hills style design replace it.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM

I don't see it going solely residential, but certainly rebuilt as a live-work-shop area would be an option. Cary would definitely want to keep it a retail center with the proximity to 40. Cary's long-term vision has looked at how the stretch of Walnut connecting Crossroads and CTC area may evolve as those areas grow together. The problem with densifying Walnut itself is the residential lots are rather shallow, so it's tough to rebuild as commercial. So it may be limited to smaller independent shops taking over former homes along that strip, which is better for the neighborhoods behind anyway.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:11 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
I just heard a rumor (from a pretty reliable source) that Wegman's is also looking at a spot in Chapel Hill, though I'm fuzzy on the precise location - maybe out 15-501 somewhere?

It seemed strange to me that they'd open 2 stores at once fairly close together, but a friend of mine pointed out that from a logistics perspective it's pretty logical because they'd be able to realize efficiencies in moving product and stuff which makes sense when I think about it.

So if anyone on the western side of the Triangle was feeling left out, I guess there's hope!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:50 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I just heard a rumor (from a pretty reliable source) that Wegman's is also looking at a spot in Chapel Hill, though I'm fuzzy on the precise location - maybe out 15-501 somewhere?

It seemed strange to me that they'd open 2 stores at once fairly close together, but a friend of mine pointed out that from a logistics perspective it's pretty logical because they'd be able to realize efficiencies in moving product and stuff which makes sense when I think about it.

So if anyone on the western side of the Triangle was feeling left out, I guess there's hope!
Though it's the logistics standpoint that has me so surprised that they're eyeing Cary. Their closest distribution center is in PA, and the closest stores are in the Richmond region, with very few communities between there and here that could support a Wegman's. I have a feeling that this is the first domino in a full court press to move into the south, which would include a new distribution center somewhere south of the Mason/Dixon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary