Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

The med schools are Duke and UNC. NC State and Duke both have engineering schools. Are you confident you will be accepted? Duke is a top ten elite med school and UNC is very highly regarded also (#22 on the USNews list). NC State and Duke's engineering schools also rank well.

You might look at Hillsborough if you think you will be headed to UNC or Duke. Northern Durham county has many small crossroads that could work for going to Duke, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The med schools are Duke and UNC. NC State and Duke both have engineering schools. Are you confident you will be accepted? Duke is a top ten elite med school and UNC is very highly regarded also (#22 on the USNews list). NC State and Duke's engineering schools also rank well.

You might look at Hillsborough if you think you will be headed to UNC or Duke. Northern Durham county has many small crossroads that could work for going to Duke, too.
East Carolina also has a medical school which is easier to get into and would give OP more cost effective, rural options for residence.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Yes, not in the Triangle, though, where this thread is. Maybe they would like to look at that. If so the Coastal forum is where to post.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 AM

17 posts, read 13,587 times
I live outside of Bangor, and go to Maine Maritime Academy in Castine. I currently commute around 45 minutes to school, and then 45 minutes back, but have commuted over two hours a day for work. How much more would the commute time be if I lived rurally?
I have some family that lives outside of Charlotte, and have only been there a few times so I haven't spent a whole lot of time in NC. I've spent a lot of time in Florida however, but I didn't find that much different from Maine (lots of old, white people!)

Likes I said, $600 is just an example of what we pay now. That number will certainly go up ($1000) when I work full time.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, not in the Triangle, though, where this thread is. Maybe they would like to look at that. If so the Coastal forum is where to post.
I've posted there as well, but wanted to check out all my options. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on taking a few gap years before actually applying to get more real world experience, take a few extra classes, and save some money. I haven't looked much into Duke, but have been talking to UNC and getting information about their school. They've been very helpful.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
I grew up about 30 miles North of Bangor, and make the annual migration at least once a year to visits Parents and family. I went to Boys State at MMA more years ago than I'd like to admit. Pretty campus if I recall correctly.

Personally, I don't think the average Yankee will find the transition to the Raleigh area all that difficult, due to all of the transplants. At least in my circle of friends and co-workers, almost none of us are actually native to the area.

That would change dramatically if you get too far away from the metropolitan area. Rural NC is NOT going to resemble Bangor, ME in any way. Not saying one is better or worse, as that would be highly dependent upon the individual. I hardly left New England growing up, went to school in Mass, and then my first assignment was in rural Alabama. I was NOT prepared for that reality. However, I would not put NC in the deep south category like Alabama. Think of it, as southern-lite :-)

Old 01-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Both UNC and Duke have excellent medical schools and either would be a great place to study.

Lots of rural options in northern Durham and Orange counties. Also parts of Chatham county are still very rural (big development going in between Pittsboro and Apex, though). Southern Alamance Co might work, too.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I grew up about 30 miles North of Bangor, and make the annual migration at least once a year to visits Parents and family. I went to Boys State at MMA more years ago than I'd like to admit. Pretty campus if I recall correctly.

Personally, I don't think the average Yankee will find the transition to the Raleigh area all that difficult, due to all of the transplants. At least in my circle of friends and co-workers, almost none of us are actually native to the area.

That would change dramatically if you get too far away from the metropolitan area. Rural NC is NOT going to resemble Bangor, ME in any way. Not saying one is better or worse, as that would be highly dependent upon the individual. I hardly left New England growing up, went to school in Mass, and then my first assignment was in rural Alabama. I was NOT prepared for that reality. However, I would not put NC in the deep south category like Alabama. Think of it, as southern-lite :-)
Yeah, I'm about 15 miles from Bangor in a town of maybe 1,300? MMA is a beautiful campus, and has lovely programs. I'm very lucky to go there for free.
I honestly greatly prefer more rural areas, where there's a big yard and lots of privacy. How would you describe the differences between rural Maine and rural North Carolina?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Rural NC is very comparable to rural ME. My family has a place about 20 minutes outside of Augusta, very rural. When I moved to Holly Springs one of the first comments I made was that it reminded me of Maine. Then they started developing everything and that is no longer the case.

40 minutes outside of Raleigh will give you that rural feel. I imagine that it would also drop your rental prices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary