Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times

Advertisements

We just sold our house in Cary and it looks like we are going to be moving to Pittsboro, and I was curious to see if anyone knew if there are any stores in the Pittsboro area that sells premium dog/cat foods like Canidae/Felidae, Innova, California Natural, etc.??

It's been hard enough to find a source in Cary, but I imagine it will be even tougher out in Pittsboro. Worst case scenario I will just have to have it shipped to me, but was hoping someone might carry it up there. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM

85 posts, read 311,505 times
Don't despair.....there's an absolute GREAT pet store in Carrboro called Phydeaux (pronounced Fido). It's on Weaver Street. They sell all of the "good" dog/cat food.....Wellness, Canidae, Inova, etc......plus they have an amazing selection of toys, collars, treats, dog beds, etc....and their prices are very reasonable. We actually live in Cary, too, and usually make a monthly trek there because it's SOOOO worth the trip. (I don't think Carrboro is too far from Pittsboro, is it?) You'll have to Google them to get their address, etc......I don't want to get my wrist slapped by the City-Data Police for solicitation.

Note that when I'm really desperate and running low, I'll go to Discount Pet Supply on Tryon Road in Cary. But if you haven't figured it out yet.....that place is nasty....and pales in comparison to Phydeaux. (It drives me crazy that they don't price their dog food. They keep it in the BACK of the store, so if you want to know how much things cost, you have to walk up to FRONT and ask the cashier the price. Moderator cut: removed I need to keep reminding myself that desperation is no excuse for continuing to give them my business, however infrequently.

But enough about that silly store........just do yourself a favor and check out Phydeaux!!!

Last edited by autumngal; 02-06-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: unsubstantiated allegations

Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times
Thank you so much! I just looked up their website and address, and it looks like they would only be about 13 minutes from us! Their website looks awesome and I cannot wait to check them out!

I have been to Discount Pet Supply as well, and was as equally impressed as you! Almost every time I went they didn't even have any bags of Felidae or Canidae in stock, and wanted to know if I wanted to wait a week for them to order it. Well that doesn't really help when you need it right then! I dislike the lack of prices as well, and felt it was a lack of effort on their part to do something so simple.

I have currently been trecking over to Holly Springs to Pet Mania to get my guy's food, because I was so annoyed with Discount Pet Supply, but I am excited to hear about how wonderful Phydeaux is! Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM

85 posts, read 311,505 times
No problem. Enjoy!

p.s. If you haven't been paying attention to your bags of Canidae, they're running another t-shirt deal (different design than last year's), if you send in UPCs. I almost have enough UPCs saved to get the free shipping. Whoopee!!! One or two more trips to Phydeaux, and I'll be all set.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM

51 posts, read 230,346 times
Furry Paws and Feathers is in the Cole Park Plaza on 15- 501 in the Chatham County part of Chapel Hill. I haven't been in yet, but they seem to have all the premium food brands.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,591 times
Default Check out Natural Pet Food in Bear Creek

I just saw your post and if you are still looking for your pet food try the Natural Pet Food Store in Bear Creek (out route 902). She has a fantastic stock of Natural, Organic and Raw food diets for both cats and dogs. She also has a fenced in doggy play yard and hosts fun events for pets.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM

319 posts, read 1,478,472 times
FYI on Phydeaux. I was there two days ago picking up some food and the clerk told me they are moving. August 1st they will be at 400 S. Elliott Rd. over by the Burger King and Whole Foods in Chapel Hill.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 AM

41 posts, read 194,609 times
Just curious, what defines the brands you listed below as "premium dog/cat foods"?

How much research do you think these companies do on these "premium foods"? Do they meet AAFCO requirements? Have they gone through AAFCO feeding trials? What kind of QA do they have on their ingredients? How long have they been in business? How many Champion dogs are fed these diets?

I would classify those brands you mentioned as designer brands rather than premium foods.

Just my opinion as one who works in the industry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
We just sold our house in Cary and it looks like we are going to be moving to Pittsboro, and I was curious to see if anyone knew if there are any stores in the Pittsboro area that sells premium dog/cat foods like Canidae/Felidae, Innova, California Natural, etc.??

It's been hard enough to find a source in Cary, but I imagine it will be even tougher out in Pittsboro. Worst case scenario I will just have to have it shipped to me, but was hoping someone might carry it up there. Thank you in advance!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 AM

120 posts, read 758,363 times
Of course everyone is entitled to dote on their pets, and if designer foods are your method of choice, then by all means do so. For the folks who aren't near one of the boutique stores mentioned, Petco (yes, I know it's a big box store) sells Solid Gold cat and dog food that's actually quite good. Google the Solid Gold website for more information. I've switched my cats to their Katzen-Flocken and they're doing really well on it.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 AM

49 posts, read 152,085 times
For those who have shopped at both Discount Pet and Phydeaux--how do prices compare? I have frustrations with Discount Pet as well--namely that whenever the owner rings us up she will never honor the "buy 10 get 11th case free" program they advertise--I have to plan to go to the store when the owner is not there--other employees honor it and are much friendlier than the owner.

We buy Innova in cans and have noted that Discount Pet is cheaper than the usual boutique stores. We deal with the attitude for the discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary