Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:24 AM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
I don't want the Wake school district broken up but I would love for them to have snow days based on region (similar to the athletic divisions). I am in South Cary, drove all over Raleigh today (ITB) and the only roads I ran into any issue with were 2 of the smaller side roads over by Neomonde.
I agree with this. And the idea that they have to have "all or none" of the schools open is silly. If one school has a power outage, loses water or sustains storm damage, they have closed that school and no others. It happened after the tornado in 2011 I think Holly Springs was closed due to damage (luckily happened while traditional was on spring break or there may have been more). They have never (not should they) close the entire district for these events. That would be silly right? It's equally silly to make kids in Fuquay who saw only rain stay home just because Wake Forest had snow and ice (hypothetical example, please don't respond with your weather report).

This is another reason to limit transfers, too. You close school "X" and the three kids who transferred there and live 10 miles away are screaming because their roads are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

9,765 posts, read 15,715,713 times
Chapel Hill Schools closed today (Tuesday). Sigh

Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 AM

9,129 posts, read 14,690,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
You need to stage your vehicles in strategic positions before the storm starts. Park at the end of the driveway before the storm starts, that way you just roll out (and cover up valuable driveway space that wont get covered with ice).

My in-laws, who have a relatively long driveway and regular medical appointments this week, parked in their garage, instead of at the end of their driveway. Between the 3 inches of sleet that fell on the ground and the foot and a half which blew off the roof, right at the garage entrance, they needed to be chipped out, instead of just either rolling down the hill or parking at the edge of the driveway.
I kind of agree with what your saying regarding the driveway and if I had a steep one I would, but it sure is nice rolling a clean car out of the garage onto a flat driveway.

I will say that I had to double check if our trash was picked up this morning and there was a bit of ice on the edge of our street. Looks like it got just cold enough to be slick in spots.its probably fine to go with the delay though.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:34 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 7 days ago)

43,086 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I kind of agree with what your saying regarding the driveway and if I had a steep one I would, but it sure is nice rolling a clean car out of the garage onto a flat driveway.

I will say that I had to double check if our trash was picked up this morning and there was a bit of ice on the edge of our street. Looks like it got just cold enough to be slick in spots.its probably fine to go with the delay though.
There was some slick on Cary Parkway, and a couple of incidents.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,161,321 times
When my kids were younger and we had snow, I used to suggest that Wake County go ahead and open the schools and as a parent, I could decide if I wanted to drop my kids off or not!!!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 3,150,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When my kids were younger and we had snow, I used to suggest that Wake County go ahead and open the schools and as a parent, I could decide if I wanted to drop my kids off or not!!!
Agree with that 100%. It's like last year when they delayed school opening because it was "too cold". If you don't have winter clothes for your children, then as a parent you make the call if you want to bring them in late.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:05 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,241,417 times
That doesn't really work for kids that ride the bus, though, and parents who have to get to work and may ride the bus to work. I'm privileged enough to be able to take my kids to school but not everyone is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary