Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Unfortunately, your generosity is, in most cases, simply enabling a drug or alcohol addiction. I carry a few McDonald's gift certificates in my wallet, and sometimes offer those, so that if the person is truly hungry, they can get something to eat. You'd be surprised how often they are refused.
I did this during the month of December. No one refused but they didn't look all that thrilled either. Oh well, sometimes good deeds DO go un noticed and un appreciated!

The intersection of Creedmoor and 540 have 4 panhandlers that frequent those 4 corners. Not sure how they get there as there isn't any parking around the area. Maybe they park at the nearest shopping center and walk. It is about a mile or 2.

Like the OP, I don't like being approached, even when I'm in my car. Maybe it is the time we live in or maybe it is being female but I don't like anyone that I don't know getting that close to me!

I've seen people give money to these people and by doing so, they stop traffic. Others get annoyed that the light is green and no one is moving. I've seen cars try to get around the stopped car. I've also noticed these panhandlers crossing in front of cars to get to another car that is offering money.

Dangerous. Dangerous for the panhandler and the people in cars. But, as long as it is beneficial to the panhandlers, they will continue. It does tug on my heartstrings to see people down on their luck. And, even if they are just scamming to get money for drugs, alcohol, etc., how degrading it must be to have to beg for money.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

And, even if they are just scamming to get money for drugs, alcohol, etc., how degrading it must be to have to beg for money.
Same here. That's why I avoid eye contact with them. Too hard to look.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
But is it really the weather? If I'm gonna be homeless, I'm not going to NC. Its still freaking cold there if I'm living outside. Florida or Arizona, or even California where people have some money and social services are good. Raleigh is plenty cold and I don't really think of it as a snowbird destination. There aren't even that many retirement communities in Raleigh.

Also, by that logic I would expect to see a plethora of homeless in Upstate NY in the summer and I don't really see that.
Maybe they couldn't make it all the way down to Florida and are "stuck" in NC. Plus it is all relative, while NC is not as warm as say Florida during the winter, it is warmer than New England and Upstate New York, with less snow. When I say they are "snow birds", I'm thinking more that they are heading to the large cities of Chicago or Minneapolis/St. Paul for the summer and not Upstate New York, although there might be some that do that migration.

And like I mentioned in my example, from having lived in Arizona, my homeless "snow birds" were going between Arizona and mainly Chicago depending on the seasons. I never talked about the Triangle homeless being "snow birds" although some might very well be.

Last edited by cjseliga; 01-26-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
The intersection of Creedmoor and 540 have 4 panhandlers that frequent those 4 corners. Not sure how they get there as there isn't any parking around the area. Maybe they park at the nearest shopping center and walk. It is about a mile or 2.
What makes you think they own cars?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
The homeless are not to be afraid of, never even heard of the homeless pulling out guns when people say no, homeless people ask some more than others because after a while they notice the types that are most likely to help them out. I get that some don't want to enable people if they have some type of habit. But many are truly wanting help, if you either can't or don't want to give $$ and your answer is no, they may ask again, but they are not about to follow you and they are not about to do you harm. Their presence isn't a reason not to go back some where.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
The homeless are not to be afraid of, never even heard of the homeless pulling out guns when people say no, homeless people ask some more than others because after a while they notice the types that are most likely to help them out. I get that some don't want to enable people if they have some type of habit. But many are truly wanting help, if you either can't or don't want to give $$ and your answer is no, they may ask again, but they are not about to follow you and they are not about to do you harm. Their presence isn't a reason not to go back some where.
Beg to differ. Had a gun pulled on me and some friends on Hillsborough Street by a homeless guy who was shoplifting in a convenience store.

So, yeah... don't assume they've been homeless forever and don't have guns.

And, back up and read about the guy who chased me and tried to break my windshield on that very same street.

This was in 1989-90, btw.

So, not recently and it's gotten worse.

Sure, most homeless people aren't trying to hurt anyone, but to think it'll never happen is a mistake.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Steer clear of Tryon & Junction Blvd. if you don't like to see panhandlers. And the exit ramp on to Capital off 440.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its the weather. Seriously, its harder to do it when its 5 degrees with a foot and a half of snow n the ground.

But seriously, don't open your car door, don't look at them. I've only ever been approached in person in Downtown Raleigh.
Yes about the weather. One reason California has such huge homeless populations (in addition to more liberal politics). I think Santa Monica, CA is the "homeless capital of the US" or something, and of course if you are homeless and can choose where to be, would you rather be in upstate NY or Santa Monica with Southern California weather?

At any rate, isn't Triangle Town Center supposed to be closing soon? Perhaps this is one of the reasons. The only reason I ever went there the whole time it's been here is Dillard's.

Quote:
The intersection of Creedmoor and 540 have 4 panhandlers that frequent those 4 corners. Not sure how they get there as there isn't any parking around the area. Maybe they park at the nearest shopping center and walk.
Yup, I go by there every morning. I presume someone is dropping them off there. I keep thinking I'll offer them something to eat or water when it's hot, but not money.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:09 PM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Quote:

I have seen a man/woman pair (husband/wife?) walking north on Creedmoor Rd. in the median from the Strickland Road area to their spots on respective corners of the 540 interchange. I do not believe they're homeless at all, and they often are wearing t-shirts that have some kind of religious affiliation or message. They're not typically badly dressed or unkempt at all.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:25 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Panhandlers don't bother me, they are a part of every city. I just say no and go on about my business, no need to be afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary