Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 PM

16 posts, read 19,858 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking for a rental home in Raleigh area. I am currently interviewing for a job there, and it's looking pretty promising!

We would like to find a 3-4 bedroom home, 2 bathrooms, prefer fenced or one that we can fence in, on a large lot, not in a neighborhood if at all possible. We would like something within a 30-45 min drive of downtown Raleigh. We prefer the suburbs, maybe on an acre or two of land.

We do have pets, 6 dogs that are well behaved, older, one large and the rest small. Willing to pay a pet deposit - that is not an issue.

We are looking to pay $900-$1300 in rent, willing to sign a years lease, can provide references of our current landlord (have lived in current home for almost three years), can show proof of income as well.

We are looking to move around the middle of March. If anyone knows what neighborhoods we can look at, or where we can find this type of rental, please let us know. We have been looking at Zillow and Craigs List and have found a few, but still looking for that "perfect" home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Rental units go quickly. There is way more demand than supply right now.

In addition to those places, you can ask a realtor to send you listings in MLS or go to other web sites. Craigslist is actually a very good place to check for things around here.

You can go 45 minutes from downtown in any direction. You can find suburbs in any direction. You will struggle to find that much land that close to downtown and you will struggle mightily to find it for that price. Our rental market is hot and not cheap.

To put it in perspective, on another thread here very recently, I believe a gentleman got a 1-bedroom apartment in Clayton (not the nicest complex in the town) for north of $800. I have people come to me for help locating rentals often. Many 3/2 rentals near me rent for $1450, on less than half an acre.

You may have to compromise on some of what you want.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Six dogs is going to be a tough sell, especially with the rental market so tight.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
I think it will be tough to find anything satisfactory on the rent side. Some may allow pets. Some may even allow a big dog. Most have breed restriction or size limits.

You may end up having to consider purchasing due to lack of options in the rental market.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:38 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I've found rentals on Hotpads and realtor to be pretty comprehensive. They have a map function so you can see where you are looking.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM

Thank you all for your input. I realize it will be difficult with the number of dogs, believe me. We may be able to get it down to 4, but they are our family!! We do not wish to part with them and are not in the position to really purchase right now.

I will have to check out Hotpads.

Any areas to stay away from?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayroll View Post
Thank you all for your input. I realize it will be difficult with the number of dogs, believe me. We may be able to get it down to 4, but they are our family!! We do not wish to part with them and are not in the position to really purchase right now.

I will have to check out Hotpads.

Any areas to stay away from?
No. You should not limit yourself. It's going to be hard enough to find what you want.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:12 AM

Well, hard or not I am not going to live in a rough area - it may be difficult, but not impossible.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I always recommend to folks in your situation to look for an acreage property. There are plenty of trailer homes on an acre or so scattered around the area. Six dogs in a subdivision would probably not be acceptable, but on a farm or in a rural area it would not be as big of a deal (assuming they were kept controlled).

Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayroll View Post
Well, hard or not I am not going to live in a rough area - it may be difficult, but not impossible.
What I mean is that if you have to move out onto acreage (and that is what you'll likely have to do), you won't have any specifically "rough" areas because you will not be in a neighborhood.

Most neighborhoods here have HOAs and 6 dogs would not fly under most HOA guidelines. Plus, of the few non-HOA areas closer in that are in your price range, the landlords can rent all those to people who don't have that many pets. See what I mean?

So, I wasn't dismissing your goal of not being in a crime-ridden area, but frankly, no rural areas that close to Raleigh are going to be particularly scary for day-to-day living. The crime rate here isn't very high overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary