Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

I did like Charlotte, but to me it felt a bit "fake", and it's really hard to describe why...

LOL ... I always tell my Charlotteans that Charlotte doesn't have a soul.

and this thread is about the devolve into another Charlotte/Raleigh argument. I feel it brewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
OP, please stop reading articles and get in your car.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:57 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Charlotte is larger with more entertainment and more to do. But the Triangle is decent as well and a day trip can be made to Charlotte if you need additional entertainment. I'm not a big fan of how spread out the population centers of the Triangle are and prefer the more condensed urbanity of Uptown Charlotte and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. If you prefer urban living then Charlotte would be the better choice. If you want a slower pace then the Triangle would be a better preference.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
OP, please stop reading articles and get in your car.
Best advice on this thread. It's an easy day trip.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
OP what's your budget?

Again, as @carolinadawg2 stated both are really just two big suburbs with Charlotte having a larger urban core.

If you don't have the money to live in or near downtown Charlotte, you'll be smack dab in the middle of sprawl or budding sprawl that has no identity whatsoever.

I would also not only think about the situational aspect (nights/weekends out), think about the day-to-day and what you can afford and what better suits your personality and your stage of life.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, having teens, I'd disagree. There's a lot more for my particular teens to do in the Triangle. They are so not into pro sports and don't care about shopping. Really, for my particular family, there's nothing Charlotte has except IKEA that I prefer over Raleigh's offerings, but a lot of people do like it so it's certainly worth checking out if folks are contemplating a move to NC. For the OP, I think there's a ton of stuff to do in the Triangle. Come visit!
Ha! I hope if either teen grows up to prefer cities like Charlotte that it doesn't require an intervention session to open up about such preference or a trip to Boone for a meetup.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Very unlikely. They have expressed their preferences to me many times. My youngest wants to live in Boone when she grows up. I think my oldest may want to stay in Chapel Hill. We know the city very well (my husband's family has been there since the 60s). Just not our kinda place, but that doesn't mean that it's not great for other folks.

OP, you said
Quote:
As of now I am conflicted though as to if we should move there. The reason for this is because when I ask people which is the better city to live, I usually hear Charlotte, because its a bigger city and has more entertainment value, so there is a lot more to do and makes it more fun than Raleigh (some people say Raleigh is boring).
Were these people who are telling you Charlotte has more to do/better entertainment living in Charlotte? If so that's understandable. I think if you mosey on over to the Triangle board and ask people there they would tell you all about the fun stuff to do in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Consider the source.

It really depends on what you like to do, though. What's your usual weekend look like now? If you love to go to NASCAR races, there's not a track near the Triangle. If you like good restaurants and good beer, though, the Triangle is a great place. Six of the nine North Carolina James Beard nominees for best chef in the Southeast were from the Triangle. The other three were from Asheville. None from Charlotte. Nine North Carolina chefs, bakers among James Beard semifinalists | News & Observer

I know you said "urban living" but elaborate please. What does that mean to you? For some people it means walkability, for some people shopping in exclusive boutiques.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:42 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Of course its cheaper to live in d'town Raleigh vs. d'town Charlotte.
I actually don't think this is true. Housing and rent are overall noticeably more expensive in Raleigh than Charlotte. Like most things, I also think the downtown apartments run a little more expensive in Raleigh. But regardless, it certainly isn't a reason to move to Raleigh because you think it will be cheaper.

To me the main difference between them is the culture and people in the area. Charlotte is a business city. The Triangle region is dominated by universities, medical centers, science and tech companies.

That makes the triangle much more appealing to me, I grew up in Charlotte but I like it better here. But it is a matter of individual preference.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM

That's the way I feel, too Atony, and my husband who also grew up in Charlotte feels the same way. Very corporate in the Queen City.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
I actually don't think this is true. Housing and rent are overall noticeably more expensive in Raleigh than Charlotte. Like most things, I also think the downtown apartments run a little more expensive in Raleigh. But regardless, it certainly isn't a reason to move to Raleigh because you think it will be cheaper.
Well, if you have some data, please provide. A quick check of Zillow shows studios in d'town Raleigh from $900 to $1,100, and the same for Charlotte shows $1,100 to $1,400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
To me the main difference between them is the culture and people in the area. Charlotte is a business city. The Triangle region is dominated by universities, medical centers, science and tech companies.
I don't understand that comment, nor even see how it can be a distinction. Hospitals are businesses, no? They have employees, provide a service, receive payments, etc. That's a business. And obviously, tech and science companies are businesses. And Charlotte has 2 large hospitals, a UNC campus, and multiple smaller colleges and hospitals. I get that there is a difference between the 2 cities, I just get that that's the difference.

Plus, Raleigh's largest employers are the state of NC and Wake County schools as number 1 and 2. And the top 10 includes IBM, Cisco, SAS and GlaxoSmithline. I believe those are businesses.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-31-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary