Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,071,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I think the OP was looking for responses from other New Englanders.
But, this is the internet and therefore, any of us can respond, really. Hell, I've visited New England and I read about people's perceptions of this area compared to New England on a regular basis.

Besides, I didn't know if that "Hello New Englanders!" thing was an accident, what this this not being New England or any forum related to New England.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,071,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamarch5 View Post
Thanks for the input.
You're welcome. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM

714 posts, read 714,272 times
OK, here comes Mary Sunshine:

What were MY reasons for moving here?

1) Could sell my house in NJ (still pending), buy a house outright and walk away with cash
2) My sister lives here
3) Nicer vibe (in northern NJ people are angry and mean)
4) Less congestion (ever BEEN to Paramus, NJ on a Saturday at Christmastime?)
5) Lots of the kinds of things l like to do here
6) Strong progressive activist community
7) LOTS of meetups
8) I fell in love with my house
9) I could never afford to retire in NJ. Here I can work from home, sock away some money, and maybe get to retire
10) Property tax difference. From northern NJ, the difference is HUGE.
11) Friendly people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,831,247 times
We moved from MA to Durham, then Cary, then FV in NC. We left as Worcester County is the land lost in time. Nothing ever progessed forward and things just kept deteriorating. The weather was absolutely horrid. The politics and resulting operation of the state was extremely one sided for the most part.....and the effects of that were not good up there.

NC was our pick because the weather was a big improvement, the Triangle area offered us a great opportunity to find good jobs and progress in our careers, the political mix of people was much more blended which we prefer, housing prices less, taxes less and I always had a fondness for southerners as opposed to northerners.

We sold our house in MA, quit our jobs and moved to SW Durham, bought a home and then found jobs. It was the best career move we ever made and is paying dividends to this day, even though we left NC for warmer weather and beaches years back.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:14 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,609,633 times
I was born in MA but pretty much grew up in CT. I always knew that I wasn't going to stay there, as did many of my peers. Why am I here?

- Weather.
- Job opportunities.
- BBQ, sweet tea, Cheerwine/Sundrop, bananna puddin', cobbler, grits.
- affordability and myriad of options for housing.
- I think this area of the country is just absolutely gorgeous. The landscaping in the South is on such a different level.
- The cleanliness.
- The nice people.
- The culture and lots of things to do.
- Cities that you can actually live in, work in, and do things in.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 12,373 times
Better NFL team.

Yeah, I went there. Too soon?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,831,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18f4v View Post
Better NFL team.

Yeah, I went there. Too soon?
Not until they win five Superbowls.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 01-30-2016 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Wrong words

Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,132,315 times
As a MA transplant (south shore) here's my answer

Quote:

My question to you is" what were YOUR reasons for moving South" to NC?

Id' have to say:
-----------------------------
Weather Pick your poison. Sure we don't get snow like MA, but we get something worse - ice. Yes the area shuts down for a dusting of snow. Yes, if your kids are in year round schools they go to school on Saturdays to make it up. And it gets hot and muggy in the summer. Has anyone mentioned the flies here?
More job opportunities for my husband What does he do? Does he have something lined up before he gets here.
Southern Hospitality HAHAHA, myth!
Many communities Not sure what this means. There are many communities in Massachusetts too.
Great Colleges The colleges here are good. Do you realize what you have in your backyard?
Newer homes and location Sure there are newer homes in the suburbs, just as there are newer homes in the suburbs in MA.
House Taxes are cheaper This is true. Income tax and sales tax rates are higher.
Cost of Living I would say it is equal here. The only true savings, not mentioned above, would be on vehicle insurance.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by BoSox 15; 01-29-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
It sucks here and there's nothing to do. Cold in the winter. Hot in the summer.
Wow, that's a helpful response... if the OP is the Son of Saturnfan.

Quote:
Hey New England! I too was born in New England and North Carolina awaits me in the next few months.
I have lived in downtown Boston, MA, Hoboken, NJ and Trumbull, CT.
North Carolina will be my resting place as my kids will too. I have 3 little ones

My question to you is" what were YOUR reasons for moving South" to NC?

Id' have to say:
-----------------------------
Weather:
Way better if you hate abundant snow and extended cold weather seasons. If intense heat gets to you, maybe not the best place for you. People often lump in humidity as an issue but after spending my first 43 years in NYC, I laugh at that. Humidity isn't really an issue down here because everyplace is air conditioned.
More job opportunities for my husband:
Depends on his industry. I trust you have already investigated this.
Southern Hospitality:
Despite earlier claims to the contrary, this is a much kinder and nicer place to live than anyplace north of Delaware. I find that even the transplants tend to adjust and become better behaved people.
Many communities:
Not more than where you're coming from, but, yeah, sure.
Great Colleges:
Not better than Massachusetts but certainly not much worse. What you really should have targeted was the cost of great colleges. On that front we are way, way, way better than anything up thar.
Newer homes and location:
We have new construction in abundance. I'm not much of a fan of what they build or how they lay things out but there's no shortage to chose from.
House Taxes are cheaper:
Gross understatement, for certain. Some cost-of-living related expenses are a touch higher but in the aggregate life is cheaper here.
Cost of Living:
See previous post.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you!!!
For the record, while I myself am a New Yorker, I've been married to a girl from Southie for more than twenty years and am duly authorized to speak on her behalf.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:16 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,535,919 times
--Moved here from MA to be close to family. What I've discovered since buying a home in NC:
--Real estate is insanely cheaper here than in MA, as are property taxes (we pay 1/6 of the property taxes we pay in MA; of course, we live in a small town about 40 minutes from Raleigh).
--People in NC are friendlier, which requires some personal space adjustment, if you're not used to it. If you're in line at the grocery store, people will just start talking to you. But I think that folks in New England are friendly, too, just more reserved about it. I even think that folks in New York are friendly, if they're natives
--NC is a gorgeous state, but so is western MA and much of New England.
--a dusting of snow and everything shuts down, which is kind of weird and funny, since snow in New England is just business as usual and nothing shuts down unless it's a blizzard
--Definitely a strong southern vibe in NC--perhaps not like in the old days, but compared to New England, oh yeah--definitely; super-Christian: i've even seen Bibles in the hostess area of restaurants, which is kind of . . . bizarre, but when MA drove out the Puritans, this is where they settled, so. . . .
--Better drivers here than in Boston, for sure; of course, this is difficult for me, since I learned to drive in Boston, home of the worst drivers in the nation (take a left turn from a right lane? no problem)
--Summer in NC is awful: hot and humid, hot and humid, hot and humid; of course, most places are air-conditioned, so it's not a problem if you're a couch potato; if you like outdoor activities, however, a bit of a problem
--Didn't expect to find snakes in my back yard
--Lots of stray animals in NC, just everywhere--especially dogs; a family member, native to NC, told me it's because hunters just dump their dogs after hunting season; lots of "outside dogs" here, too--just basically abandoned in the back yard; really depressing
--But, again, nice folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary