Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Mod Edit

Point is; I've lived in both towns, for significantly longer periods of time than you even lived in this state. To say "Chapel Hill doesn't have the wonderful things Cary does"....is a pretty presumptuous comment. As are most absolutism statements.

Ironically enough; that mindset seems to suggest more of a "status-seeking" vibe to Cary despite your previous argument to the contrary.
The OP was asking us for our "OPINION" on what "WE" would want. I made no absolute statement. I made a statement about what "WE" noticed in looking for what "WE" wanted for "OUR lives". I even made sure I stated "YMMV".

I am NOT saying this is you, but while reading this thread I find it amazing how people are getting all worked up about status and how people can think they know why OTHER people they do not even know bought a particular house in a particular location. It is just as likely that folks buying in "west Cary" are buying simply because they like the area, enjoy the extra sq footage and prefer to be the first ones to live in the house. We are new house people ouselves. We would always pick new over old, if given the choice in the area we are looking at and in the price range we set for ourselves. The house we live in now was 17 years old when we bought it and it took some adjusting to with repairs and changes, compared to a fresh new house that does not need anything replaced. But there was no new choice available for where we wanted to be. While we have never owned a 3000 sq ft house, others may have very functional needs for one. It may not have anything to do with status. How the heck is anyone supposed to know why strangers are buying what they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:30 PM

272 posts, read 303,147 times
What does itb stand for?

Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
What does itb stand for?
Inside The Beltline
Raleigh

Old 01-30-2016, 04:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
What does itb stand for?
I can see ITB from my house

Old 01-30-2016, 05:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
ITB is definitely the most "old money" area.

I have never heard of "West Cary" until the past couple of months on here. I've never even seen the term in print anywhere else and had no idea there was a West Cary Middle School. I do think Cary has more cachet in terms of "a nice home" than Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is more of a mixed bag. I think for folks around NC if you tell them you live in Chapel Hill they're not going to think, "oh I bet they have a nice house." They'll think, "do they work for UNC"? I think NC folks are much more likely to think that people in Cary (west, east, north or south) have a nice home in a low-crime, family-friendly area. That's Cary's reputation. Chapel Hill's is the university and being a college town.

Outside NC, I think Cary has a good rep, too. Folks are certainly moving there in droves. Again, Chapel Hill = UNC/college town in the mind of most people.

BTW, Mike, I'm not humble-bragging if you're talking about me. Just telling the truth.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
ITB is definitely the most "old money" area.

I have never heard of "West Cary" until the past couple of months on here. I've never even seen the term in print anywhere else and had no idea there was a West Cary Middle School. I do think Cary has more cachet in terms of "a nice home" than Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is more of a mixed bag. I think for folks around NC if you tell them you live in Chapel Hill they're not going to think, "oh I bet they have a nice house." They'll think, "do they work for UNC"? I think NC folks are much more likely to think that people in Cary (west, east, north or south) have a nice home in a low-crime, family-friendly area. That's Cary's reputation. Chapel Hill's is the university and being a college town.

Outside NC, I think Cary has a good rep, too. Folks are certainly moving there in droves. Again, Chapel Hill = UNC/college town in the mind of most people.

BTW, Mike, I'm not humble-bragging if you're talking about me. Just telling the truth.

West Cary Middle School is not in West Cary and probably been longer than West Cary too

Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
West Cary Middle School is not in West Cary and probably been longer than West Cary too
But it was in western Cary when it was built.

About he only thing west of it were pine trees and tiny Morrisville.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
I seen a shirt once that said

CARY- "We're better then you"

Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
I seen a shirt once that said

CARY- "We're better then you"
Apparently not at spelling, tho.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM

218 posts, read 287,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
We did not move to Cary because it had "status" or that we were trying to brag to friends about a new home. We bought a home that fits our needs within our budget. We also did not realize that it was such a big deal whether you lived in "West Cary" or just plain old Cary. When asked, I say Cary. Not once have I heard anyone aside from this board make such a big deal over "West Cary" - I am amazed at all the snobbery against a part of town. Maybe that is an east coast thing
Agree. I don't think it's an East coast thing or even a real world thing. It seems to be more of an anti-Cary and anti-transplant sort of thing I have noticed on this forum. "West Cary snobbery" is just another dig - especially against North East transplants.

I'm an "old money" North East person who's apparently living a "new money, status seeking, keeping up with the Joneses, ignorant" lifestyle here in West Cary in order to impress strangers.

I thought I bought my custom over-sized house on an undersized lot (complete with granite AND cherry) because I liked the quality of the house, the schools, the location, and a low maintenance landscape.

I've lived in this area on/off for 20 years. You think I would have known better. Thanks, City-Data for enlightening me.

FTR - My favorite area is Chapel Hill.

PS - Maybe we could start a petition to rename West Cary "New North East?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary