U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM

560 posts, read 1,925,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Are We There Yet? View Post
Nearly everything I've seen mentioned is southern Italian cusine. My family is northern Italian. We don't eat much of the traditional Italian-American dishes like chicken parmesian. They seem heavy to us. Any northern Italian cusine in the area?
Try La Foresta in Wake Forest.

La Foresta Italian Cafe & Pizzeria, Wake Forest, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 78,613 times
Default Italian Deli

I too miss a good italian butcher shop. I lived in little italy in Massachusetts. But I have found some good italian sandwich meats at Costco and Harris Teeter. A Southern Season has some but its $$ but its there in a pinch. I miss good italian sandwiches and I did find a wonderful place - Larussa's in Meadowmont Village and a bakery in Burlington called DiStefano's. I also miss good seafood - maine lobsta! but I found a great place in Sutton Station in Durham called the Nantucket Grill - yum-o!!!!!

I am always looking for new Deli's and great italian food so keep the suggestions flowing as I am fairly new to the area!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,809,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsfootballfan View Post
I too miss a good italian butcher shop. I lived in little italy in Massachusetts. But I have found some good italian sandwich meats at Costco and Harris Teeter. A Southern Season has some but its $$ but its there in a pinch. I miss good italian sandwiches and I did find a wonderful place - Larussa's in Meadowmont Village and a bakery in Burlington called DiStefano's. I also miss good seafood - maine lobsta! but I found a great place in Sutton Station in Durham called the Nantucket Grill - yum-o!!!!!

I am always looking for new Deli's and great italian food so keep the suggestions flowing as I am fairly new to the area!
You can find good seafood in NC...of course the Maine lobster tends to be found in Maine.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM

820 posts, read 1,847,386 times
Anyone know where to get bread?? I'm a Raleigh native who's been turned on to the fresh breads of Rochester by a few Italian friends. I'm tired of waiting for their holiday trips back home to bring me bread, red/white hots, fresh pecorino, and most of all where can I get some freakin' arancini!??

Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 AM

145 posts, read 213,609 times
Amen to that!!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 AM

145 posts, read 213,609 times
I grew up in Brooklyn and everyone I meet that grew up in the boroughs of NY or Manhattan that leaves to live somewhere else has the same feeling. We all get teary eyed over the smells , sounds , and tastes of the culture we left behind. I think that would be true of any culture that Americanizes. Culture connects you to who you are...food , family. places...all do that. Funny...most people I know are trying to get out of New York ..I would love to get back in.There really was something very special about it. Why did it have to get sooo outrageously expensive? I grew up very close to the Pastosa someone mentioned and I know what you mean about the lost art of mom and pop shops. There is no connection anymore...Like someone else mentioned ..when you do find a store that is trying to do something on a smaller more personal scale..we should make every effort to support them with our business.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,219,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Anyone know where to get bread?? I'm a Raleigh native who's been turned on to the fresh breads of Rochester by a few Italian friends. I'm tired of waiting for their holiday trips back home to bring me bread, red/white hots, fresh pecorino, and most of all where can I get some freakin' arancini!??

Yeah... DaVinci's!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,612,096 times
Conti's Italian Market in Raleigh is the closest we found to that NYC Italian Deli. The atmosphese is great and Frank the owner is great! Real italian food and lunch meats and cheeses to die for. Check out Conti's for ral italian foods!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM

820 posts, read 1,847,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Yeah... DaVinci's!
Really, the bread, the Arancini, or both???

Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM

85 posts, read 178,940 times
Raygab,

Your point is well taken, how ever keep this in mind. Little Italy has shrunk as China Town has grown, today it is easier to get an eggroll on Mulberry St. than a Canolli.

Count your self as lucky for having memories, I wish I could have shared mine with my kids. Today, I don't care where you are be it Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Little Italy etc.. things are not what they used to be even in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary