U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 PM

586 posts, read 982,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINUNZIO View Post
HELP!!!
Anyone in the Cary-Morrisville area or the Triangle area know of a good Italian deli,like on Arthur Av. in the Bronx,or any place in NYC?You know,with the salamis and the provolones hanging from the ceiling,the home made fresh pasta,etc.The kind of deli where just opening the door and breathing in makes you feel like you're in Grandma's kitchen?
Any info would be appreciated.Love our new place in Morrisville,but there's some things about NYC that never leave your memory or your taste buds.
Also looking for a wine store that actually carries a good Italian Marsala.Chain stores seem to carry only California or NC Marsala.No offense but the stuff is UGLY and of no use for cooking or drinking.
Thanks
Loved reading your request, moved here one week ago, from Ft Lauderdale, though Brooklyn born and raised Italian, hoping to find some places/people that would help me feel more at home, if that makes any sense? I am homesick already !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,852,391 times
Dear God you guys are making me hungry. I'm about ready to drive up to Belleville, NJ right now to go to the pork stores and the italian bakeries (must. have. pepperoni bread) and then on the way back head over to Brooklyn and go to DiFara's for pizza, which is the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life. It is a religious experience. There is nothing like Dominic snipping fresh basil leaves off a plant and onto my pizza slice. OH MY GOD. And THEN head over to Arthur Avenue and overstuff myself and then just roll on down 95...

Good thing I had great barbecue today (Danny's, RTP) or I'd be extra homesick for the NE AND Florida because we had an amazing Italian market there too.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,313,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Really, the bread, the Arancini, or both???
Both!!!!
The bread is baked fresh in Cary in some big French bakery & they get it in every morning, fresh.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM

168 posts, read 438,894 times
Wink Fresh mozzarella

Still can't find good mozzarella in the area. When I go back to NJ to visit one of the first stops is to Fiore's or Vito's in Hoboken for a nice Prociutto and Mozz sandwich on freshly baked italian bread (crispy outside and chewy - no Wonder Bread here) Then take a few braids to the family to eat during the rest of the trip.
Maybe we make a stop at Carlo's for some pastries and we are in heaven.
I can't tell you how many times I have thought about opening a deli here in Cary or Apex. Maybe one day I will do some research and make it happen. It is certainly something that I am passionate about. Would definitely be risky but it would be worth getting out of the corporate hell hole.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM

820 posts, read 2,502,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Both!!!!
The bread is baked fresh in Cary in some big French bakery & they get it in every morning, fresh.
WOW. Thanks for the tip. The funny thing is I am headed to NYC tomorrow for a wedding. I'll be heading to Wake Forest when I get back.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

892 posts, read 2,792,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have thought about opening a deli here in Cary or Apex. Maybe one day I will do some research and make it happen.
make it apex and i'm in!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM

168 posts, read 438,894 times
Default Downtown Apex

Downtown Apex would, at first glance, make a fantastic location for a traditional Italian Deli.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM

3,353 posts, read 3,852,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Still can't find good mozzarella in the area. When I go back to NJ to visit one of the first stops is to Fiore's or Vito's in Hoboken for a nice Prociutto and Mozz sandwich on freshly baked italian bread (crispy outside and chewy - no Wonder Bread here) Then take a few braids to the family to eat during the rest of the trip.
Maybe we make a stop at Carlo's for some pastries and we are in heaven.
I can't tell you how many times I have thought about opening a deli here in Cary or Apex. Maybe one day I will do some research and make it happen. It is certainly something that I am passionate about. Would definitely be risky but it would be worth getting out of the corporate hell hole.
Please do it! Make it Cary! Unless Apex is closer for Durhamites, then make it Apex!!!!

OH the bread in Hoboken...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 16,256 times
Born in Jersey City to a big Italian clan there, but my parents moved to SAN DIEGO when I was three! Raleigh reminds me VERY, VERY much of San Diego 30 years ago. My parents used to fly back east for weddings and funerals and my Mother would always bring one completely empty suitcase to fill up with deli meats and cheeses which would then hang in our garage and be used VERY SPARINGLY! I mean....someone either had to get married or DIE before we'd be able to re-stock! I still blame my overly generous use of Romano cheese on my "macaroni" with this scarcity from my childhood. Flying from California to NJ was a BIG deal back then and we got the tiniest amount possible. I went to college in LA and my husband is from San Francisco, where one can find everything imaginable now (especially in SF), and then we went and moved here. Why did I think it would be *easier* here?? I mean, you guys are a LOT closer to NYC than we were in CA! I'm headed to Conti's because Capri's said they don't really have deli meats. I've never been but am hoping for the best. It won't be the holiday's without my antipast. I remember the few trips to NJ as a child and the FOOD - it's all about the food. California was better than here, (especially San Francisco) but I know it can't touch NY.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 136,594 times
Default Need some good bread and mozzarella

Grew up in Jersey City. Any deli's have the good Italian Bread that one could get in Hoboken. Also, any place have fresh mozzarella, you know the kind that left a cup of milk behind when you sliced it. As one post mentioned Fiores in downtown Jersey City and Carlos bakery in Hoboken. Moving to Wake Forest in the near future, so here's to hoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary