U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,496 times

Advertisements

I also came from Queens NY and both my wife and I miss the same thinmgs. We're looking for some people to get together with and talk about the city. Hope to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,496 times
Let me know when you open this place

Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 51,509 times
Default The Post from Heaven

My wife and I are hear in eastern Raleigh about 6 weeks now transplanted from Long Island (origonally from Brooklyn born and raised) and it didn't take long to start Jonesing for all our favorites that have been so far hard to find. I grew up near Landi's Pork Store and Pastosa so I need my fresh Pasta and bread. Finally found Boars Head at Lowes and some good cheeses at Costco but we both though our search for good bread would be a waste of time. We'll be checking out DaVinci's and a few others this week for sure. Thanks to everybody posting your info on this thread.........you're all lifesavers, and to all the southerners who can't figure out why we all need our bread and meat and cheese, I'm afraid you'll just never really understand and nobody will be able to explain it to you. I love Raleigh and all the people here are great.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM

3,353 posts, read 3,737,792 times
Yes and to nip it in the bud before ugly things get posted -- people are not saying they don't want to fit in here, and people know the food here is good too. They just like the food from their former residence as well - and a little nostalgia never hurt anyone.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,818,747 times
The Meet-UP site has groups for Italians and groups for former NY/NJ folks in the Triangle. Or you can start your own like I did. It's a great way to meet people with the same interests or backgrounds.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Default Gandolfs in Wake Field off Capitol Blvd.

Im from the South and I love NY deli's
All I have to say is this is absolutley the best food around and the greatest atmosphere and friendly wait staff. They actually throw the sandwitches like in Ny deli. LOVE IT!!!! The bread is to die for!! I told my husband I think there is something that is addictive in it. Eat there once and your hooked!!! I wish there was more Deli's like this one or at least one in RTP!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:42 AM

353 posts, read 1,223,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
Hey I have an idea - why doesn't someone from NY open up a real Italian Deli and Market. There are so many NY'ers in the Raleigh area. I am sure who ever does this will become a hero in the eyes of many and probably rolling in the money. too. ANyway - I think it's a good idea.

I was thinking the same thing. You would think in this day and age of Food Network etc., it won't be just Italians looking for Italian specialty foods! By the way, I can understand missing food, I am packing some dry italian sausages, scamorza, and italian tuna to take to parents in Florida when I go to visit!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 PM

33 posts, read 99,183 times
we have found the best place for italian deli is BJ's -- yes they carry hot and sweet capi, mortadella, salami and even olive loaf!!!! I find that you can't find italian bread but the breads at Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's and Southern Season are really good! Italian pastries -- that's another story -- I bake all the old favorites from my grandmother's recipes.

A good place for olive oils, wines and alot of imported vinegars, pastas and spices - try Mariakakis Market in Chapel Hill -- they carry olives and feta

Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM

5,609 posts, read 8,009,672 times
Yeah I think most of it can be found, just hard to find in one place. Capri Flavors in Morrisville has all of the Italian specialty foods (and great prices on DOP certified San Marzano tomatoes) but I don't know if they have deli meats or bread. I really like the HT bread too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary