U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 AM

18 posts, read 45,673 times
Question Italian Deli

HELP!!!
Anyone in the Cary-Morrisville area or the Triangle area know of a good Italian deli,like on Arthur Av. in the Bronx,or any place in NYC?You know,with the salamis and the provolones hanging from the ceiling,the home made fresh pasta,etc.The kind of deli where just opening the door and breathing in makes you feel like you're in Grandma's kitchen?
Any info would be appreciated.Love our new place in Morrisville,but there's some things about NYC that never leave your memory or your taste buds.
Also looking for a wine store that actually carries a good Italian Marsala.Chain stores seem to carry only California or NC Marsala.No offense but the stuff is UGLY and of no use for cooking or drinking.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 AM

480 posts, read 2,048,092 times
You will not find anything of that nature in NC, at least not of the same quality and selection that you would find on Arthur Avenue. Here's a link that may help you. Perhaps you can find a place that delivers all the way to NC. http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/ (broken link)

And before you ask... no, you won't find comparably good bakeries in NC either; macaroons, cannolis, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINUNZIO View Post
HELP!!!
Anyone in the Cary-Morrisville area or the Triangle area know of a good Italian deli,like on Arthur Av. in the Bronx,or any place in NYC?You know,with the salamis and the provolones hanging from the ceiling,the home made fresh pasta,etc.The kind of deli where just opening the door and breathing in makes you feel like you're in Grandma's kitchen?
Any info would be appreciated.Love our new place in Morrisville,but there's some things about NYC that never leave your memory or your taste buds.
Also looking for a wine store that actually carries a good Italian Marsala.Chain stores seem to carry only California or NC Marsala.No offense but the stuff is UGLY and of no use for cooking or drinking.
Thanks

Last edited by Check123; 11-20-2006 at 06:00 AM..

Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 AM

11 posts, read 34,542 times
Default Italian Deli

I am moving to Heritage Wake Forest soon. There is an Italian pork store opening near there soon. It is still under construction. Hoping it will be good.

There's nothing like a good Italian pork store for an Italian who grew up in Brooklyn. It's all about the food!!!!

Good luck
Tina

Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann View Post
I am moving to Heritage Wake Forest soon. There is an Italian pork store opening near there soon. It is still under construction. Hoping it will be good.

There's nothing like a good Italian pork store for an Italian who grew up in Brooklyn. It's all about the food!!!!

Good luck
Tina
We are all waiting with bated breath for their opening. Let's hope they open before Christmas.

Di Nunzio, Whole Foods is as close as you will get around here for the items you need (meats, breads, bakery) but it has that uper west side ambiance rather than the Arthur Avenue one.
A bit closer to home,
Lowes has fresh mozzerella, Haris Teeter has decent meats & good Italian canned & spices & all.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,273 posts, read 4,538,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
We are all waiting with bated breath for their opening. Let's hope they open before Christmas.

Di Nunzio, Whole Foods is as close as you will get around here for the items you need (meats, breads, bakery) but it has that uper west side ambiance rather than the Arthur Avenue one.
A bit closer to home,
Lowes has fresh mozzerella, Haris Teeter has decent meats & good Italian canned & spices & all.
LOL, I had an image of groups of people just waiting to exhale when this store opens

I'll say this, growing up in Miami in the 80s, there was this NY style deli on Miami Beach. My father worked all over the city and the beach, and he would stop by once a month and bring home a brisket sandwich. O-M-G!!. I thought I knew what a sandwich was, but then I tasted THAT sandwich. Every bite was unbelievable. As soon as I was able to drive, friends and I would make the trip from South Miami TO Miami Beach (no short trip) to dine at this deli once a month.

I can empathize somewhat as I don't think I've had a better brisket sandwich since then (that was like 20 years ago).

Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,171,310 times
Thumbs up Conti's Italian Market

Conti's Italian Market in downtown Raleigh is widely regarded as the main place around here to get a very wide variety of Italian food supplies (deli, wine, gelato, spices, and so forth). I highly suggest anyone who's into Italian cooking to try them out!
They're on North Person Street, in the Mordecai neighborhood, about a block or so north of the Krispy Kreme.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
LOL, I had an image of groups of people just waiting to exhale when this store opens
...).
Well, it is across the street from the middle school and when I pass there are almost always people standing out there peering in the windows!

The anticipated opening date is quite the hot topic of conversation at nirsery school pickup, too!!!!
You would think we were all starving!

Last edited by Steel Man; 11-29-2006 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: on request

Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 AM

3,269 posts, read 2,582,644 times
Try Capri Flavors in Cary for a good selection of Italian food. I am not sure if they have the deli cuts there as my wife is the one who always goes there. She is a born and bred Italian and loves that place. We did try Conti's last year and were disappointed with the selection as well as the meats. We get better deli meat at Harris Teeter. The service at Conti's was horrendous as well.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:19 PM

148 posts, read 448,434 times
if your willing to travel ther is one in the hunterville-cornelious are in nc. pm me if you want directions

Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 34,542 times
Default Thank you Raleigh Rob

I visited Conti's Italian Market today. It was worth the 20 min. drive. Great store. Many of the authentic Italian foods I remember from Brooklyn, NY. Got good stuff for the Christmas Holiday.

Thanks for the info.

Tina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary