Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,109,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
We had that meeting - it probably went in one ear and out the other since it was right before the holidays. She was pretty thorough so I'm sure she mentioned it and I had forgotten.
You will want comps on every home you think you want to make an offer on.

If the comps support a higher price than list, go ahead and offer it if your budget will allow.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 AM

19,383 posts, read 27,635,389 times
Hey Mike and other local area agents: How common are pocket listings in The Triangle? (I'm not asking about coming soon properties.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,088 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hey Mike and other local area agents: How common are pocket listings in The Triangle? (I'm not asking about coming soon properties.)
I don't think they are as common as some folks think. Surely, not common enough to influence the market.
I do think some agents use the full 48 hours the MLS allows to run properties past their database before entering them.
But, generally, in a robust market like we have, there is little reason for pocketing listings.
It is more common for the seller to request no sign on the property, even for a vacant house. I had one last year. MLS advertising more than compensates for the lack of the sign.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM

514 posts, read 600,171 times
I agree with Mike. I can't say I have never seen them but most agents are concerned about the consequences.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,099 times
I don't know if these conditions qualify for a "pocket listing" (I looked at the definition and it's murky) but there were a 2 or 3 homes we scheduled viewings of before the listing hit the MLS because my realtor was friends, friends-of-friends or whatever with the sellers agent. We didn't actually view any pre-MLS but were scheduled to view within minutes of the MLS listing going live.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:12 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,109,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I don't know if these conditions qualify for a "pocket listing" (I looked at the definition and it's murky) but there were a 2 or 3 homes we scheduled viewings of before the listing hit the MLS because my realtor was friends, friends-of-friends or whatever with the sellers agent. We didn't actually view any pre-MLS but were scheduled to view within minutes of the MLS listing going live.
As long as you didn't view them until after the places were live on the MLS, I think that would not technically qualify as a pocket listing. To be sure, they should have been listed in the MLS as "Coming Soon" to give others an equal chance to make their desire to see it on the day it went live known, of course.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,845,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Don't want to hijack but I keep seeing this and am all for that strategy, but when you say slightly, do you mean 3k? 5k? 10k? I know it varies depending on the house price and what comps look like too, but if that overage is meant to get the leg up over other potential buyers, how much would you think is enough?
It depends on the price range, micro market conditions, home conditions, what the asking price is compared to actual sales prices (inclusive of all incentives/concessions, CB to buyer, prepaids, etc). Usually only the realtor can assess the proper amount, as they hold the key to the information lock box.

Just make sure you make the proper offer based on FACTS and NOT on emotion.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM

421 posts, read 458,262 times
My advice would be to the OP, that if you are asking these types of questions on an on-line forum, you have the wrong buyers agent. After having bought and sold many properties all over the East Coast in good markets, and bad markets, etc, my opinion is that a large percentage of people trying to sell real estate are at best B and C team players. Many of which, decided that being a realtor sounded like fun, and something they could do on the side and make some money. It looks easy on TV and would be a fun hobby.

Find a successful, aggressive full time realtor. Top 5-10% of their area. They are out there. Like most highly career successful people, they are "on" pretty much 24x7. I've had great realtors show me houses over major holidays, late at night, early in the morning, on extremely short notice, squeeze me between other clients, bring their kids because that was the only way the showing was going to happen on a Saturday morning, etc. They will find a way to make the showing happen.

Those same people are also very highly connected. Successful realtors seem to know successful realtors.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,088 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
As long as you didn't view them until after the places were live on the MLS, I think that would not technically qualify as a pocket listing. To be sure, they should have been listed in the MLS as "Coming Soon" to give others an equal chance to make their desire to see it on the day it went live known, of course.
This is somebody pushing the envelope, IMO.
Not a pocket listing, for which there really is no specific definition, but not really someone trying very hard to play fair with the market. It matters to MLS membership when other members play a little too hard with the rules.

When the public perceives that some MLS members are not treating them fairly, the value of the MLS is diminished.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,375,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I've had great realtors show me houses over major holidays, late at night, early in the morning, on extremely short notice, squeeze me between other clients, bring their kids because that was the only way the showing was going to happen on a Saturday morning, etc. They will find a way to make the showing happen.

Agreed. My agent was always willing to just make it work to get us in to see a home, available to discuss whatever I needed when I needed it and it was very appreciated. I tried not to be nagging, overbearing or make crazy requests, but it was nice to know they were there for us and working just as hard as we were to find a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary