Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 11,974 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating next month to Raleigh. I work from home, so no issues with employment, but I am grappling w/ moving from an urban/suburban area like the DC metro area to Raleigh.

If you have already made this move, please provide me with some advice. This is a major undertaking. I don't want to pack up and move to Raleigh, only to feel like it was a mistake. I did visit Raleigh, and I liked the slower paced environment, but I do worry that I may grow tired of not living next to any major cities (with ample amenities/culture).

For those who have moved from the DC metro area, what do you miss or regret the most?

I'm not sure if I want to leave or stay!! If you're curious as to why I am even thinking about leaving, it's due to the high cost of living in the DC metro area. I've thought about relocating to a far out place like Frederick MD (which is more affordable) but still accessible, I'm just not sure if it will be as nice as living in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:51 PM

530 posts, read 637,569 times
I've never actually lived in DC, but I know it very well. But really the advice is the same for anyone moving from a big city.

Raleigh is not DC. If you move to Raleigh make sure you live "inside the beltway" right downtown or in Cameron Village or other nearby neighborhoods. It will give you the most urban experience Raleigh can offer.

However you have to accept you are moving from a very large, significant metro area to smaller metro area. I like this area, and really does offer a lot for it's size, but it can't compete with big boy cities, which of course it shouldn't be expected to.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
I've never actually lived in DC, but I know it very well. But really the advice is the same for anyone moving from a big city.

Raleigh is not DC. If you move to Raleigh make sure you live "inside the beltway" right downtown or in Cameron Village or other nearby neighborhoods. It will give you the most urban experience Raleigh can offer.

However you have to accept you are moving from a very large, significant metro area to smaller metro area. I like this area, and really does offer a lot for it's size, but it can't compete with big boy cities, which of course it shouldn't be expected to.
I am interested in relocating to Raleigh, I'm just a little worried that I'll get bored.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:07 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,946 times
i too enjoy grey pupon and races at the coliseum

Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM

hahaha but seriously

its less about culture but lack of density and not walkable

this isn't dc

adult typically go to work and go home

it's a family raising suburbs small urban cores and office parks

are you single?

what are you doing now that might not transfer

Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM

You couldn't pay me to live in DC especially NOVA

Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
hahaha but seriously

its less about culture but lack of density and not walkable

this isn't dc

adult typically go to work and go home

it's a family raising suburbs small urban cores and office parks

are you single?

what are you doing now that might not transfer
Yes, I am single. I was hoping that maybe I'd meet a nice Southern gentleman, but now I'm not so sure... I guess most people in the South come home from work, eat dinner and go to bed.

Maybe I should look into Charlotte or Atlanta???

Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM

221 posts, read 202,828 times
I spent 20 years in Annandale, then moved to Western NC (tooooo slow), and have been in the Triangle area for over 10 years. I don't miss DC one bit. I especially don't miss the 50 minute commute to drive 14 miles (on a good day).

Honestly, there aren't a ton of amenities up there that aren't available to some degree down here.

Can you identify specifically what sorts of things you think you'll miss by moving? What is it that you do up there that keeps you from being bored? We'll be able to better tell you if you'll have it down here.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOn2020 View Post
Yes, I am single. I was hopeful that maybe I'd meet a nice Southern gentleman, but now I'm not so sure... I guess most people in the South come home from work, eat dinner and then go to bed.

Maybe I should look into Charlotte or Atlanta???
hahah we're not that bad just crank up yer dating app and you'll stay plenty busy

IMO people aren't as dumb and social climbers as you typically encounter in DC

there's lots of stuff happening esp in the cities i think u could be pretty happy

Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM

221 posts, read 202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOn2020 View Post
I guess most people in the South come home from work, eat dinner and go to bed.
Well that's not necessarily true ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary