U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,366 times
Default Yet another neighborhood advice question :=)

Hello everyone!
I've been enjoying reading this forum the last few weeks. My husband, 17-month-old daughter and I will be relocating from Los Angeles, CA to the Triangle in December. We are actually from the area, met at UNC-CH, and lived in Cary before we moved out here 6 1/2 years ago, so it's a bit of a homecoming for us! Here is my question: My husband will be working in RTP and I will be working teaching music part-time in the 9th St. area of Durham. In a few months, I will probably add another teaching location in N. Raleigh near 540, but if the 9th St. area can support enough classes, I may keep my primary concentration there.

We are hoping to buy a house (we rent out here where $600,000 will get you a run-down bungalow in a questionable neighborhood). We don't mind, we even prefer, an older house. We really, really want to live in a wooded area. We hope that neither of us will have a nasty commute. We would like a walkable, family-friendly neighborhood (but don't care much one way or the other about the perks of a newer planned community). Finally, we need good schools, especially a good elementary school (it's many years before we have to worry beyond that). We are interested in Durham but are worried about the schools and crime (two of many reasons we're leaving L.A.). However, we're attracted to the diversity, housing prices and general artsiness! We're also interested in North Raleigh, particularly the Leesville area. This is our first home purchase and we need to stay under $250,000.

Thanks so much for your help! (In my mind, I've gone to Caroliiiiiina......)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 03:53 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,886,689 times
Although some may not agree, I would suggest wake forest, the west side. My husband works in the park, and he has 30 minutes without getting on major highways. If you live on the west side of wake forest, then getting to durham is a straight shot down 98, 30 minutes, plus you would be close to north raleigh as well. You will get more house for the money and a tad more land than in the leesville area.

Wake forest has really changed in the past 9 years (my friends bought out here when wakefield was just started, and it is amazing how much it has grown). We have all of the "things" you may want, but also a little space and a quaint downtown with excellent schools.

Anyhow, pm me if you have specifics. I grew up in chapel hill, then moved all over the triangle (actually went to nc state for grad school but don't hold that against me at least it wasn't duke!)

Leigh

Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM

72 posts, read 143,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelabear View Post
Hello everyone..
We don't mind, we even prefer, an older house. We really, really want to live in a wooded area. We hope that neither of us will have a nasty commute. We would like a walkable, family-friendly neighborhood (but don't care much one way or the other about the perks of a newer planned community). Finally, we need good schools, especially a good elementary school (it's many years before we have to worry beyond that). We are interested in Durham but are worried about the schools and crime (two of many reasons we're leaving L.A.). However, we're attracted to the diversity, housing prices and general artsiness! We're also interested in North Raleigh, particularly the Leesville area. This is our first home purchase and we need to stay under $250,000.

Thanks so much for your help! (In my mind, I've gone to Caroliiiiiina......)
Caelabear... i am from southern California (Orange County) and i am moving out to Raleigh in January... i dont know about schools, i dont have children, but i just purchased my first home in the Leesville area for a little under 200K... it is newer... (about 9 years old), 3 bedrooms, 2 and a half bath, about 1400 sq feet with a 2 car garage which i found hard to find around that price.... the area i purchased in is "Village at Westgate" between Durham and Downtown Raleigh, near the major freeways and generally smack dab in the middle of the triangle... i am really happy with it, but it is a little more suburby than i like(smaller lots)... very close to Umsteadt Park. also just south of that area, Brittany woods seemed to have a few homes just under 200 that were very cute (a little older), but a little smaller and without garages. One last area i really liked was Dominion Park, slightly older houses, more expensive and larger, but once in a while there is a smaller one in that price range (more wooded). All Close to Brier Creek Shopping, 70 and 540 freeways. i hear the Leesville school district is one of the best in the area, but again im not sure about anything child related at this point!! a little more east of there, there are larger wooded lots, but i dont know what the commute is like. Just some information for you... if you have any questions, you can pm me. Good luck!!

Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM

229 posts, read 749,463 times
Hi there,

I think the Leesville area would be a great area for your family. The schools are good, the homes are established and affordable, and you'd still be pretty close to I-540 to commute back into Durham.

I personally have lived in Chapel Hill and Cary but I also did some graduate work over at Duke and I play tennis twice a week at the Raleigh Racket Club off of Falls of the Neuse so I've pretty well cover the Triangle.

PM me if you want specifics on some of the neighborhoods and SF Homes under $250k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary