Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times

Advertisements

Don't forget you're moving to the protestant bible belt Catholic schools at a high level aren't part of the history here and have a reputation as being a container for the elite but also heavily subsidizing the hispanic community

I'm neither a parent nor a NYr nor a catholic but I do have a friend who pulled her kids from Thomas Moore due to cost and elitist environment and seems to satisfied overall with public school but of course its some different struggles (that's life)

*shrug* you're gonna pay for public school regardless but hey its your money!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I don't know if this is relevant to you but it seems that the private schools here do not offer bus transportation. When I grew up in Ct and NY (many years ago) , I went to Catholic schools and the transportation was provided by the county. I don't know if that is still done but wanted to mention it to you.
I see that several Connecticut towns still use public money to bus kids to parochial schools. I doubt very much that Wake County would do that, as Catholics are only an 11% minority of the population. However, there are state scholarships for kids to attend faith-based schools, per the St Catherine of Siena website: "There are also School Opportunity Scholarships sponsored by the state of North Carolina that provide $4200/yr in tuition assistance for families who qualify."

Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I don't know if this is relevant to you but it seems that the private schools here do not offer bus transportation. When I grew up in Ct and NY (many years ago) , I went to Catholic schools and the transportation was provided by the county. I don't know if that is still done but wanted to mention it to you.
Good point.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:10 AM

65 posts, read 55,589 times
Around here, there are many more private protestant Christian schools than Catholic schools. That just comes with there not being as many Catholics here...

The public schools are great, but may not provide the "classic style" education that a Catholic or Christian school would. I grew up here and went to Cary High and knew some folks that went to Cary Christian and Wake Christian and their education and classroom styles seemed a little more classical and old fashioned. Many of them would actually say that was a good thing because of those I knew, all of them went to NC State, Duke, or UNC. Whether that was their family structure encouraging education or the school itself, who knows, but they all seemed to enjoy the small classes and everything about small christian private school.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
There are far fewer Catholics here, and there just isn't the network or Diocesan support that the schools have in places like Chicago or NYC or Buffalo. Growing up in Chicagoland there were something like 5 High School Athletic Conferences comprised of exclusively Catholic High Schools...Nothing like that here.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:00 AM

65 posts, read 55,589 times
This was mentioned in the other active thread concerning Catholic schools, there are only 3 Catholic high schools in all of North Carolina.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
I see. I guess what we will have to do is once we go down there, mark the pro's and con's of moving and staying. if there are far more pro's to moving to NC, then it will be a go, just will have to figure the tuition thing out - and see what the public schools have to offer. From what I understand (only from what I have heard) is that it is hard to beat some of the NY school districts.
Mod Edit There isn't nearly the Catholic population nor "infrastructure" in place here as in the NE, which may be why Cath schools are more expensive?

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Off topic comments removed.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:54 PM

256 posts, read 266,466 times
thank you all for your thoughts. Mod Edit

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Edited to remove reference to the off topic comments, which were removed from quoted post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary