Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:56 AM

514 posts, read 602,555 times

Advertisements

I was actually picturing the standard poodle as well.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:04 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
My brother was bit by a miniature Schnauzer (40+ years ago), and my daughter (3 at the time) used to paint the nails of her grandmother's 120# Rottweiller pink.

Yes, a Pit can do more damage, but as others have said, it's better to look at the facts, and not generilize, because not ALL pits are bad, and not ALL poodles are good.

What is a fact is that Pits are considered an advanced breed, which means it takes someone who knows what they are doing to raise them right. We've got three husky's at our house (also an advance breed), and they take a lot of work, but are sweet, and I totally trust them around young children, and we stop during walks to let kids pet them WHEN THE SITUATION IS RIGHT and WHEN THEIR PARENTS APPROVE.

I guess my point is what others are saying. The dog is violating OP's property, and is a risk. It's a risk because it's aggressive and in their yard. That's the facts. The fact that it's a Pit is, in and of itself, not an indictment of the dog, but sure, a bigger dog is a bigger POTENTIAL threat. Doesn't matter, I would treat any strange dog with caution, and I'd deal with any dog that violated my property concisely, aggressively, and within all boundries of the law. Fact is that the dog is in OP's yard because the OWNER has not contained it. As far as I'm concerned, it's like leaving a loaded gun around. Owner is responsible. Doesn't matter if it's a Dillenger or an AK47, someone can get hurt, and owner is responsible, and needs to step up. If they don't do it on their own, then (OP) do what you gotta do to protect your child.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:24 AM

54 posts, read 50,367 times
I respect any person's right to have the breed of dog they choose, but the facts seem to indicate that some breeds, including pitbulls, are more dangerous than others. Yes, it could be owners fault but the general public doesn't have knowledge or control of situations, so need to be aware. I just googled 'dog kills child' and there are no instances of a poodle or chihauhua mentioned in the first few pages. A recent incident involved a pitbull that had lived peacefully with a family for 8 years, but then attacked a child and killed him. The dog snapped and the child died. This is not a one time occurrence either, so I would always always err on the side of caution when considering my safety and that of my family.

Last edited by abgilliam; 03-01-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't want ANY aggressive dog near kids or hopping the fence into my yard - pit bull or not!

Conversely - my dog, not a pit bull, does not like toddlers grabbing at her.

My point is - we know the dog is aggressive, that's the bottom line regardless of breed - time for AC and cops.
We get it. You've posted repeatedly your views here.
But the OP's situation involves an aggressive pit. So we are discussing this pit. High jacking the thread does nothing to help the OP.

Last edited by JanND; 03-01-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 AM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresen View Post
My fence is already as high as they will allow based on the convanents. Therefore they will not approve anything that would increase the height in anyway.
I would politely tell the HOA to go f- themselves if the safety of my family was in danger.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:49 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
We get it. But the OP's situation involves an aggressive pit. So we are discussing this pit.
YOU may be discussing this pit, but the thread devolved into a pit-bashing thread, which interestingly is not even allowed on the dogs forum.

Sooooo, if the thread is going to be permitted to veer into breed bashing, the opposite opinion is going to be posted.

The actual point is that an aggressive dog is jumping into the OP's yard. Pit or no pit.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I would politely tell the HOA to go f- themselves if the safety of my family was in danger.
Yeah, me too. Though I think the neighbor should have to pay for the coyote rollers. But how to force that?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
YOU may be discussing this pit, but the thread devolved into a pit-bashing thread, which interestingly is not even allowed on the dogs forum.

Sooooo, if the thread is going to be permitted to veer into breed bashing, the opposite opinion is going to be posted.

The actual point is that an aggressive dog is jumping into the OP's yard. Pit or no pit.

Anyone can read your multiple posts here. I think the OP has a serious concern and deserves honest opinions. Have a good one.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Anyone can read your multiple posts here. I think the OP has a serious concern and deserves honest opinions. Have a good one.
And anyone can read yours.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:

Agreed. And that is what is being discussed. The fact that Pits are (or are not) an agressive breed is moot. The FACT is that this dog is aggressive, and OP needs a solution to this dog. How to deal with the problem (or non-problem) of Pits in general is a different discussion.

Quote:
Yeah, me too. Though I think the neighbor should have to pay for the coyote rollers. But how to force that?
Clearly Donald Trump could help in this matter. (unless the Neighbor happens to be Disente Fox)

Quote:
Honest opinions are being given. Understand that people are trying to respond to the topic at hand, and not to an overall debate of what breeds are dangerous. That really is off topic, or tangental at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: