Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresen View Post
I guess I should also point out that MY FENCE is about 18 -24 inches inside my property line. My husband is going to see if there is any damage on the outside of the fence where the dog is hanging out.

I think I am going to have to blatantly tell them to keep him off my property, including the fence. Besides that will keep the dog farther from the fence and make it more difficult to scale it.

The downside is that I will have to have the property surveyed and staked, but if it keeps the dog out of my yard, it will be worth it.
Yep, it's gotta be this. No, "gee, it would be nice if you could..." or "Please keep your dog from...". It's not that you can't be nice and polite, but being direct and letting them know of your concerns and the action you'll take if they do not control their dog are key.

A few years back the ex-hub and I had an issue with a neighbors dog barking all morning and all night. We asked them over and over and over again in the nicest way possible to do something about it and it didn't work. Called animal control but that didn't work because they couldn't catch the dog barking when they came out in the middle of the day. The neighbors really thought we were crazy, but at least they knew we were serious.

What did finally work was inviting the neighbors into our home and walking them into our bedroom (which was on the side closest to their house and fence, only 15ft or so away from our bed) and having the dog bark (which was easy). Once they knew we could hear it and how loud it was inside our house, they actually did something.

Sometimes you have to go to more "extremes" than you think, but there's a solution in there somewhere.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 7,452 times
I have thought about moving the fence back, but the it runs into being on top of the right away area for the community water lines. If something happens with those I would have to pay for the fence to be removed and replaced. Where it is, they can access the line without having to move anything.

As for animal control, they were called yesterday. Have no idea if anything happened as I was at work. The dog was not out when I got home, but I think he spends a lot of time kenneled inside.

I hate it for the dog, because it is not really his fault. He just has not been taught to behave better. And his owners don't seem inclined to do more than slap a bandage on the issue. But that said, I do not want this dog running loose where he can hurt myself or my child.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:30 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Ban all pit bulls until we can get a better understanding of the breed?
That's pretty cerebral!
You have my vote.

More seriously, it is pretty cool that the OP has set their fence inside the property line.
And, unfortunately, I think the low voltage wire might be the easiest and most affordable repellent.
Hardly seems fair to the animal, but the owner hardly seems fair to the animal at all.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Wish the fact that it's a pit bull would be left out of the conversation because it's not really relevant.

My neighbors have some kind of shaggy mix of something that has jumped the fence and attacked other dogs in their own yard.

OP, do call animal control every time. Also take pictures and video.

You mentioned a tether - that's illegal - but I guess the tether is gone with the fence - but it can absolutely jump the fence.

Don't let your child in the yard until it's resolved (unfortunately). Also get some pepper spray.

It is an absolute fact that this situation is a dangerous dog situation regardless of the breed. There's a boxer in my neighborhood who can jump the fence and german shephards who can as well.
I think it's relevant.

Not because pit bulls are more "violent" or anything. But, because they are know for (once they've attacked) doing more damage than a good many other dogs of their size. Powerful dogs. There's a reason that dog fighting utilizes pit bulls, though the practice is loathsome.

But, other than that? Not relevant.

I know that I'd be more cautious with my child around a neighbor's persistent pit bull than I would a poodle.

Know what I mean?

Not saying a poodle could not harm a kid, but the poodle-to-kid mutilation and death ratio is lower.

I think the owners are irresponsible, and that's the key issue here once you cover off safety in the yard.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM

Mod note: We don't have any pit bulls who are posting members of City-Data. Therefore, we can discuss concerns about pit bulls and not "bash" pit bulls.

I think we all know that some dogs receive better training and have better owners than others, period.

Let's just discuss how to help the OP, please.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I think the discuss of pit bulls as a breed is off topic.

I think the discussion of the aggressive dog jumping into the OP's yard is on topic.

We could substitute rottweiler for poodle - or if I knew the breed of the dog a few houses up I'd substitute that one because that one jumped the back fence and attacked my neighbor's elderly dog

(chow mix, I think)

See what I mean? The pertinent information here is "aggressive dog" and "jumps fence."

Last edited by RedZin; 03-01-2016 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: DM me if you want to know why I edited this.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I think the discuss of pit bulls as a breed is off topic.

I think the discussion of the aggressive dog jumping into the OP's yard is on topic.

We could substitute rottweiler for poodle - or if I knew the breed of the dog a few houses up I'd substitute that one because that one jumped the back fence and attacked my neighbor's elderly dog

(chow mix, I think)

See what I mean? The pertinent information here is "aggressive dog" and "jumps fence."
I get what you are saying. But, as I said, there are no pit bulls registered to post here.

If there were, I'd say that we should force this to say strictly on topic.

But, in reality, if the neighbor's Maltese was getting into the yard, I'd be less likely to be concerned that the OP's child might be seriously injured.

That's just the reality of the situation. You can substitute other breeds for "pit bull" and I'd be equally concerned about the danger of harm.

But, a pit bull is what is living next door to the OP, not a German Shepherd.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think it's an aggressive large dog and that's all that's relevant. If it was an aggressive standard poodle, lab, golden retriever, collie, etc, I'd feel the same way.

Even if it's an aggressive little tea cup chihuahua those little needle teeth can do some damage to a small kid, too.

OP, I know you said you aren't allowed to raise the height of your fence, but I think it's worth bringing up with the HOA some measures that could be taken on your part or preferably the neighbor's part to keep the dog in their yard. Is the neighbor in the HOA or are they in another neighborhood that backs up to yours?

It might be that you could put something along the outside of the fence that is angled away from your yard so that the dog can't climb or jump it. Might be some ideas here: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/dog-proof-fence/

Maybe share these ideas with the neighbor if you think they would be open to it:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals.../escaping.html

http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm

Last edited by poppydog; 03-01-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM

I can't even with this thread anymore.

Thread closed.

Good luck, OP.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: