Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,133 times

Advertisements

I was visiting a community that just finished building in Wake Forest, and they are now trying to sell their last 2-3 inventory homes. They are selling the home that they were using as the Sales center. Originally at $360k, it is now being sold for $320k. Basically an as-is - it is a corner plot, as soon as you enter the community. 2800 sq ft house on 0.40 acres - garden looks really good - very well done of course, being the sales center.

4 bedrooms + 1 bonus / game room (sunken floor), dining, study, family room (sunken floor), 1st floor Hardwood floors, 2 car garage + a lot more. They are giving away the bedsheets, etc along with the curtains that are there.

As this is my first home, would people recommend going for something like that? Do you think they would be willing to go down in price, as it is the sales center and has been walked through numerous times? Would appreciate some help on this, as I am thoroughly confused. Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Probably has a lot of upgrades included for you to enjoy, too.

Since the builder's done, the goal would be to sell off the model ASAP.

Unless abused or altered in a way you dislike, might be worth getting a buyer's agent and inspector to help you decide on an offer.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
My husband and I put an offer on a model home a couple of years ago, (and I don't know the name of the builder in the subdivision you are looking at) but we were working with a large national builder and we were told we would get all of the drapes, linens, comforters, etc They were going to take the televisions, etc. We asked for them to have the house professionally cleaned, a 6 week close and less than the asking price. They refused to have the house professionally cleaned, but said it would be cleaned by their companies cleaning crew, they wanted a quicker close, and not as much off of the asking price. Although we settled on price, we never could settle on the close date, so we walked away. A month later, they called us and asked if we were still interested in the house that they would meet all of our previous terms and close 7 weeks from the current date, we declined.

I tell you all of this because you should negotiate, you should get a buyer's agent and they can help you figure out the best way to go about this based on the comps, neighborhood, etc. You can negotiate for the items in the house, etc. Depending on how "decorated" the home is, you definitely get an good deal because of the upgrades you will receive in the home. It definitely needs to be professionally cleaned, paint touch ups, etc because people have been tromping in and out of that thing for well over a year. Most "big builders" tend to have more rules to follow when negotiating, they want to get out of the neighborhood, but they also want to make money!

Moderator cut: removed

Leigh

Last edited by autumngal; 02-09-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: to comply with the terms of service

Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadness77 View Post
Basically an as-is - it is a corner plot, as soon as you enter the community. 2800 sq ft house on 0.40 acres - garden looks really good - very well done of course, being the sales center.
Do you want to live that close to the community entrance? I know for some this is not a big deal. But I would not want all that traffic driving by my house. If it's a concern check it out at high traffic times and see what you think. Maybe consult an RE agent to see if this would be a concern for resale.

As far as cleaning it goes, I would just ask for the floors to be professionally cleaned.... really that's probably all that needs it anyway.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
One thing to consider when buying THE model home for that neighborhood is that the model is loaded with extras. Are you going to pay for all those extras? If the model had $60,000 in options added in and you pay for those options, when it comes time to sell, are those options that you'll get your money back on?

For example, I had clients that were going to purchase The model for the neighborhood. The model was about 4 years old. The "upgrades" included wallpaper, which was already outdated. However, the builder wanted the price to include ALL the upgrades.

You may want to have your agent get the options list for that model home and see what is included and how much they expect you to pay for options that may already be outdated.

Vicki

Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,133 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! I do appreciate it. After much thought, I have concluded that it is a bit out of reach, plus it was a little bit bigger than we could have managed anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary