Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I get the impression (from my plat) that it's not even an easement. Sometimes you don't actually own the property close to the road it's part of the right of way.
We already have a sidewalk out front. I enjoy sidewalks.

That said, the house we owned before this one only has a sidewalk across the street. I would've liked one out front of the house, really. Less grass that needs mowing. Easier to hop on the sidewalk without crossing the street.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm sure someone else can answer your last question, OP.

I hope the sidewalk move won't hurt more than it helps when people decide to sell their homes. I say this only because a sidewalk in front of a retention pond invites foot traffic to the retention pond. Some people won't buy near those in the first place. Especially with young children.

Just a possibility to keep in mind. Maybe yours is fenced and that makes it less of an issue.

I'm glad you got this sorted to your liking. You're the first person I've ever spoken to that had the town NOT put in a sidewalk where they planned to.
Yeah, I'm with you on this. I'd rather have a sidewalk in front of my house just for the convenience. You're also right about sidewalks bringing eyes to areas like retention ponds. I wouldn't limit it to just children though. I'm an adult male and went on a walk in a friends neighborhood the other day where they had one of those retention ponds. Stopped on my walk and went "off-roading" from the sidewalk to explore the area around the pond, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on this. I'd rather have a sidewalk in front of my house just for the convenience. You're also right about sidewalks bringing eyes to areas like retention ponds. I wouldn't limit it to just children though. I'm an adult male and went on a walk in a friends neighborhood the other day where they had one of those retention ponds. Stopped on my walk and went "off-roading" from the sidewalk to explore the area around the pond, lol.
The "water feature" can sometimes be fascinating. Especially for the frogs.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
We already have a sidewalk out front. I enjoy sidewalks.

That said, the house we owned before this one only has a sidewalk across the street. I would've liked one out front of the house, really. Less grass that needs mowing. Easier to hop on the sidewalk without crossing the street.
I would love a sidewalk. I grew up with them on both sides of the street. I did not realize until the kids started riding bikes and scooters, that I really do miss having one. We do not have it on either side of the road.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I would love a sidewalk. I grew up with them on both sides of the street. I did not realize until the kids started riding bikes and scooters, that I really do miss having one. We do not have it on either side of the road.
Awww... Bummer! We have purposely avoided subdivisions with no sidewalks. It was part of the reason my husband turned down Copperleaf. We loved the houses and lot sizes, but disliked the lack of sidewalks and it being so far out away from things we normally drive to.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford06905 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the code for putting a sidewalk ?

The builder is putting a sidewalk cutting a portion of my front lawn and I am pretty disappointed with it., we were never told during sales cycles nor during closure nor any documents were shown, and it was indicated the entire front lawn was part of the property and is mine.

can anyone provide some insight on this.

This is a closed small subdivision in cary, and mine is at culdesac.

the contractor who is digging indicated that town indicated that walkway access is required for physically handicapped and to access mailbox which is one property away from mine.

Is there an cary website where I can see approvals marked for sidewalk for an property?

Any help appreciated.
Great example of "Don't lie, but don't tell the truth either". Intellectual dishonesty. I sympathize. At that time, the sales person's motive is to sell and not tell anything that will impact the sale. Sorry, this is how the concept of "SELLING" is taught in business schools I think

Old 03-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Great example of "Don't lie, but don't tell the truth either". Intellectual dishonesty. I sympathize. At that time, the sales person's motive is to sell and not tell anything that will impact the sale. Sorry, this is how the concept of "SELLING" is taught in business schools I think
Or... perhaps the salesperson assumed that the buyer would see the sidewalks all over the neighborhood when they visited and not be surprised when a sidewalk was being put in?

I mean, I know that sometimes salespeople aren't always up front, but I cannot say as I'd want to automatically assume that failure to disclose that the house might have a sidewalk in front of it in a residential neighborhood was an attempt to hoodwink a buyer.

I am trying to think about it and wondering how many buyers would be all like "Sidewalk! Hell no! I'll not buy if you're stealing that tiny strip of land out front for a sidewalk!"

What would one do with that wee strip of land in the first place? Most people don't use their front yards for anything but growing grass and ornamental plants because the HOAs around here (and all new construction has them) won't allow anything else.

My point really was that to assume negative intent in this particular case is just not giving other humans the benefit of the doubt.

I don't assume the OP was deliberately negligent in not getting a survey any more than I assume the sales agent was negligent in not mentioning that there were sidewalks in the neighborhood.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I liked having a sidewalk in front of my home when my kids were little.

Now that kids are all out of the house, I'm happy we don't have a sidewalk!!! If only people would walk their dogs on the other side of the street!

Life changes your wants/needs!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 AM

79 posts, read 115,363 times
Quote:
Or... perhaps the salesperson assumed that the buyer would see the sidewalks all over the neighborhood when they visited and not be surprised when a sidewalk was being put in?

I mean, I know that sometimes salespeople aren't always up front, but I cannot say as I'd want to automatically assume that failure to disclose that the house might have a sidewalk in front of it in a residential neighborhood was an attempt to hoodwink a buyer.

I am trying to think about it and wondering how many buyers would be all like "Sidewalk! Hell no! I'll not buy if you're stealing that tiny strip of land out front for a sidewalk!"

What would one do with that wee strip of land in the first place? Most people don't use their front yards for anything but growing grass and ornamental plants because the HOAs around here (and all new construction has them) won't allow anything else.

My point really was that to assume negative intent in this particular case is just not giving other humans the benefit of the doubt.

I don't assume the OP was deliberately negligent in not getting a survey any more than I assume the sales agent was negligent in not mentioning that there were sidewalks in the neighborhood.

It is not what would we do, it is about the grading on the slope which make it steep slope and not good for kids who will playing around and because of the short and steep slope, kids might fall onto the sidewalk and get hurt. Adn moreover during lawn mowing it is a difficult talk to move that small portion of steep grade compared to an less slope with the grade adjusted all the way to the road.

For me it was an fully done inventory home with all lawn put in place, so when someone is showing an inventory home, it is what it is, what is shown is what you get and no changes to it, and one would not expect sudden changes indicating,, ohhh I forgot to put sidewalk and let me put it now.... !

And moreover if it is an culdesac, and with no traffic of whatsoever, what is the point of even having an sidewalk there ? Bad design ! I google maps searched in neighboring 1 mile radius and none of the culdesac's have sidewalks...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford06905 View Post

It is not what would we do, it is about the grading on the slope which make it steep slope and not good for kids who will playing around and because of the short and steep slope, kids might fall onto the sidewalk and get hurt. Adn moreover during lawn mowing it is a difficult talk to move that small portion of steep grade compared to an less slope with the grade adjusted all the way to the road.

For me it was an fully done inventory home with all lawn put in place, so when someone is showing an inventory home, it is what it is, what is shown is what you get and no changes to it, and one would not expect sudden changes indicating,, ohhh I forgot to put sidewalk and let me put it now.... !

And moreover if it is an culdesac, and with no traffic of whatsoever, what is the point of even having an sidewalk there ? Bad design ! I google maps searched in neighboring 1 mile radius and none of the culdesac's have sidewalks...
That's interesting. I live in a cul de sac neighborhood and we have sidewalks. My former neighborhood had cul de sacs with sidewalks.

I can absolutely see why you would look at an inventory home and think there would be no sidewalk. I wish you'd mentioned that earlier. Or did you and I missed it?

At any rate, it makes more sense now. I'm glad you got this settled to your satisfaction, OP.

It's definitely an argument heavily in favor of always ordering a survey with a home, new construction or not.

Our lender has never required one, but our realtors have always recommended them, and I think they're crucial for a variety of reasons. I think you should look into getting one for your records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary