Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
People have different reasons for choosing whoever agent they want. But wow, I thought this forum was to help people, not discourage people pursuing a possible new career. I'm sure we all started as a newbie in our careers at one point or another.
I think this has more to do with people being concerned that a person cannot do RE part-time and serve folks as well as they could if they were working full-time. That's all.

I would try not to take it personally. If you know you have a plan that will involve you being able to give your target market plenty of attention and good service, you are already good to go from that perspective, and you just need to take the ideas you've been given re: where to try to join a brokerage, and go forward.

I hope this goes well for you!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:45 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Jesus you guys really eat your young.
Seriously?
Newbies get a ton of help in this business. And, particularly full-time newbies.

I think I could locate a dozen Triangle paper hanger shops by lunchtime, but to mention any of them could be construed as an endorsement and I'm not in a position to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
People have different reasons for choosing whoever agent they want. But wow, I thought this forum was to help people, not discourage people pursuing a possible new career. I'm sure we all started as a newbie in our careers at one point or another.
I apologize if I sounded discouraging. But you didn't sound like someone who wanted to truly learn the business. In the case of Realtor, that would involve signing up with a brokerage that has in house training and mentoring. Maybe working as an assistant to an experienced Realtor. Joining the professional groups. You seemed pretty decided that you weren't interested in doing any of that (or maybe didn't feel like you needed to?)

I also didn't think that the 'help a newbie and get good karma' remark applies in this instance. I don't think it's wise for anybody to use a newbie Realtor to handle a transaction that probably involves their largest, single investment.

I use newbies for some things. I've had my hair cut by the students at Aveda school in Chapel Hill. I welcone medical students and residents participating in my care, including stitching me up AFTER the surgeon is done. When I was a manager, I often hired inexperienced staff and trained the heck out if them (including the one who took my job at a lower pay scale). But when it comes to Realtors, I want full time availability, full time commitment and extensive experience. And if the Realtor I choose has an inexperienced assistant, a newbie learning the business, that's great for everybody.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM

514 posts, read 602,628 times
Quote:
I would encourage you to consider it. I love new people coming in and there are benefits to newer and older agents from it. Don't be discouraged but take these comments as a chance to rehearse what you would say to someone else bringing it up.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
I understand the DD policy, I have many friends that are fulltime RE agents in big firms I could consult. I simply asked it there were "situational loopholes" with DD fee, as you mentioned such as "willfully misrepresented something" which could have been the case here.

RE agents (even seasoned ones) ask questions all the time b/c RE law and situations change. But "thanks" for your concern.
You should ask those many friends in big firms for a recommendation starting out as a part-time agent then. How would the genral public, non-Realtors of this forum know a firm that takes part-time agents?

And my concern is not for the quality of your R/E education or your current knowledge. It is that, as a part-time agent seeking the types of firms that don't provide mentoring and training ( = those that typically allow part-time), you'd not have an outlet for your questions.

I quickly mentioned that I didn't think we (agents) would be allowed to name names of brokerages, but you could message me. I also mentioned some avenues that part-time could work - which you've now noted some that apply to your situation.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's unprofessional to berate someone publically. In reality what you are trying to do is toot your own horn and make them look stupid.

I'm glad you can think of a dozen shops by lunchtime. Think of all the time you would've saved if you just wrote them out and PM'd the poster instead of writing post after post stating how little they know. I think back to how little I know when instated my career, but I was fortunate that most like to help newbies.

I thought it was a good idea posting on here, seeing as how they are so many RE agents.
Again: Seriously?
I did not berate the poster anywhere, and most certainly not in "post after post."
As mentioned, (Having never worked at one of them)I also don't have an endorsement to offer of any of these companies. So, I didn't name them.
Bo offered to forward names, so the OP has that available resource. Help is at hand on CD!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I have a cousin who works part time as a Realtor. She is bilingual and very savvy in the ways of negotiating and pricing things out. She's been successful enough to buy her own house recently because of the additional income earned from commissions.

I mean, it's probably not for everyone but some can pull it off.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 PM

547 posts, read 774,990 times
In the Raleigh area market where houses get offers the day the house is listed? No way I would go with a part time RE.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 AM

190 posts, read 200,175 times
Check online brokerage companies. They have less costs that brick and mortar ones. Their fees are really low if you are an active agent and not a provisional one.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:30 AM

514 posts, read 602,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
Check online brokerage companies. They have less costs that brick and mortar ones. Their fees are really low if you are an active agent and not a provisional one.
For the sake of clarification, active and inactive have nothing to do with being provisional or not. Provisional relates to completion of post-licensing courses within the first 3 years of licensing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary