Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 AM

31 posts, read 67,921 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Apex from Rhode Island. Yep, here comes another Northeasterner! I was curious as to the tobacco/smoking culture in NC since it is what I have hear being called "Land of Tobacco and BBQ". The BBQ I love, the smoking not a ton. Are there a lot of smokers? Will we be dodging clouds of cancer everywhere we go? I see the cost per pack in NC $5.45 is half the cost here in RI. I assume this would mean there are a lot more young adults lured into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,411,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpumasx View Post
Thinking of moving to Apex from Rhode Island. Yep, here comes another Northeasterner! I was curious as to the tobacco/smoking culture in NC since it is what I have hear being called "Land of Tobacco and BBQ". The BBQ I love, the smoking not a ton. Are there a lot of smokers? Will we be dodging clouds of cancer everywhere we go? I see the cost per pack in NC $5.45 is half the cost here in RI. I assume this would mean there are a lot more young adults lured into it.
No. You won't. Who calls NC the land of tobacco and BBQ? I was born here and never heard that.

Tobacco still grows in Eastern NC. If that offends your sensibilities, you might want to rethink.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 AM

13,654 posts, read 12,310,989 times
Quote:
No, you likely won't notice any difference. You can't smoke indoors anywhere. If you hang out late at night on the patios and porches of Glenwood South bars in the evening, you might notice ir a little, but I assume the same is true in RI, as it's been true in most places I've visited.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,154 posts, read 76,719,434 times
I can go days without seeing someone smoking.
Smoking is an exception, not the rule.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,885,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
No. You won't. Who calls NC the land of tobacco and BBQ? I was born here and never heard that.
I haven't either...and I don't recall the last time I smelled cigarette smoke

Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 14,699,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My experience as well. I'm quite sensitive to smells and it's rare I'm bothered by smoke. Vastly different than 10-15 years ago. It's so nice to be able to go to a bar or restaurant and not come out feeling nasty.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 AM

514 posts, read 600,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Very true. I am utterly amazed at how uncommon it is.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,247,940 times
Quote:
I am glad you phrased it the way you did. Others already responded, cigarettes are not a huge deal. Smoking is not allowed indoors in almost all places (few exceptions, like private clubs, and even then, not common).

But I was going to respond that the smoking culture depends on where in the state you live. Eastern NC, we mostly smoke whole pigs, where-as the western part smokes just the butts, and they add tomato to their sauce. Usually a combo of Hickory and Oak. And no, (thankfully) you can't escape it.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 AM

6,340 posts, read 5,429,984 times
The Triangle is a highly educated and fairly health-conscious metro area; smoking isn't very common here.

Head out to many rural areas of NC; especially down east, and it's a different story.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 3,158,852 times
Yes, everyone smokes here. In fact because this is the land of tobacco and BBQ, cigarettes are customarily given in the official "Welcome Kit" for Yankee transplants. Don't forget to email the state for your official welcome packet. Assimilate or move is the state's motto.

Seriously, though, as a Yankee transplant myself (from South Shore MA), smoking rates did not factor into my decision to move. When I moved here smoking had not been legislated out of public places and cigarettes were $3 +/- per pack. I thought it was funny my first week here I was in the gas station and someone walked in smoking a cigarette. Not sure if he was pumping gas or not, but I would assume a gas station is the last place someone would smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary