Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:37 PM

24 posts, read 33,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Holly Springs is not diverse in the "showing great variety" manner.
Compared to other cities in North Carolina or just as a general statement to the amount of diversity in other american cities? Because if Holly Springs is on par to the national standards of american cities then it may not be diverse as 50/50 but it would still have a good mix of cultures and ethnicity. Am I correct in assuming that or is there a better place that would offer a broader range of cultures with a top rated school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:02 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I believe everything you are saying about having moved on from whatever you did when you were younger, but you're going up against probably hundreds of candidates who are well qualified AND 100% clean.

I'm going to be honest, you stand very little chance of getting a job in the financial sector. Companies aren't going to take a chance on someone to handle their or their client's money with felonies relating to money. They have to jump through enough hoops on background checking and (in many cases) drug testing without throwing another wrinkle in. I work in the insurance industry, we handle thousands of dollars every day - there is no way you'd get hired to handle insurance claims. We are writing checks all day long. Dealing with your certification is just another headache.

And I have to be honest, if I were an employer, I would wonder why, exactly, you were drawn to a job where you had access to money when you have these convictions. It is almost more of a red flag. It just doesn't look right.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but you are still young. You have to look at things from more of an employer's perspective.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 AM

24 posts, read 33,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I believe everything you are saying about having moved on from whatever you did when you were younger, but you're going up against probably hundreds of candidates who are well qualified AND 100% clean.

I'm going to be honest, you stand very little chance of getting a job in the financial sector. Companies aren't going to take a chance on someone to handle their or their client's money with felonies relating to money. They have to jump through enough hoops on background checking and (in many cases) drug testing without throwing another wrinkle in. I work in the insurance industry, we handle thousands of dollars every day - there is no way you'd get hired to handle insurance claims. We are writing checks all day long. Dealing with your certification is just another headache.

And I have to be honest, if I were an employer, I would wonder why, exactly, you were drawn to a job where you had access to money when you have these convictions. It is almost more of a red flag. It just doesn't look right.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but you are still young. You have to look at things from more of an employer's perspective.
It's not necessarily what I'm drawn to, it just so happens to be what I'm good at. The frustrating thing is I'd never dream of stealing from my employer and never have, but the ones who are thieves right down to their core have a better chance of finding a job, with many of them never getting caught. I suppose it is what it is, but I don't have to like it. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCookies View Post
Am I correct in assuming that or is there a better place that would offer a broader range of cultures with a top rated school district?
Some of the top-rated Cary schools are 33% Asian. Cary itself is 65% white, 14% Asian, 10% Hispanic and 7.4% African-American, so I call it very diverse. Some of the magnet schools in Raleigh have higher percentages of African-American and mixed-race kids.

I think you could find a comfortable place for your family. But, I think you first priority should be locating the job, if possible.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Some of the top-rated Cary schools are 33% Asian. Cary itself is 65% white, 14% Asian, 10% Hispanic and 7.4% African-American, so I call it very diverse. Some of the magnet schools in Raleigh have higher percentages of African-American and mixed-race kids.

I think you could find a comfortable place for your family. But, I think you first priority should be locating the job, if possible.

Cary's version of diversity: On one side my neighbor is Indian who is a project manager at IBM and is a Tarheels fan. My other neighbor is Chinese who is a project manager at SAS and is a Wolfpack fan.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Cary's version of diversity: On one side my neighbor is Indian who is a project manager at IBM and is a Tarheels fan. My other neighbor is Chinese who is a project manager at SAS and is a Wolfpack fan.
Do you live in my neighborhood?

OP, Cary and Morrisville are more diverse than Holly Springs. Not that Holly Springs is totally lacking in diversity... it's just more homogeneous than Cary and Morrisville.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCookies View Post
Compared to other cities in North Carolina or just as a general statement to the amount of diversity in other american cities? Because if Holly Springs is on par to the national standards of american cities then it may not be diverse as 50/50 but it would still have a good mix of cultures and ethnicity. Am I correct in assuming that or is there a better place that would offer a broader range of cultures with a top rated school district?
I have a friend who moved down here from the northeast a year ago. Her children are bi-racial, Jewish and Yankee, and they have not had any complaints. I think people get so worked up about race, religion, etc that they can't see the forest for the trees. I'd say anywhere in the Triangle area would be desirable - sure if you move to the back woods you may have a hard time fitting in, but any "outsider" would have a hard time fitting in.

I have no complaints about Holly Springs schools and others can chime in on their thoughts of schools. Just do your research - look for jobs first and then select an area to live after. "The Triangle" is a pretty large geographic area. I would hate to see you have your sights set on one town and find out your job is over an hour away. Come for a visit, check out the parks and see people interacting. Overall I would say everyone here is pretty welcoming.

As for your job situation, we can't change our past. Should you get an interview just be up front rather than let it linger. Nobody will know about your situation until you've made it to the point of a background check (i.e. you are their first choice), so that should not stop you from at least getting an interview. I work in finance (corporate tax specifically) and I think that many people associate banking with finance. Not only are there controls in place, I would say hardly anyone in corporate finance have access to the cash. And those who do usually it is a "double approval" situation. You will be fine.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 AM

379 posts, read 749,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think starting your own business is a good idea. ... Holly Springs is not cheap.
What I was going to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary