Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM

544 posts, read 852,331 times

Advertisements

I am on the hunt for some new places to eat.... Non-chain restaurants that have some originality to them and offer something other than the dime-a-dozen sport bar menus.

A place that is trying to stand apart from the plague of mediocre food. Good food that isn't necessarily trying to be fine dining... an unpretentious place that isn't trying to dazzle you with unpronounceable ingredients and museum quality presentations.

What are your favorites and why do you like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
I don't know about you but it's been a lot time since I've eaten bar food and I'm not rich enough to eat at pretentious places (though I did spend $40 at Poole's a few weeks ago.....). There's no shortage of places in the area though. I'll get you a list in a little

Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Patrick Janes on Kildaire Farm in Cary. Very casual, great flatbread pizzas, fresh locally sourced toppings with some unique combinations. The Fig Jam pizza (fig jam, gorgonzola, mozz, prosciutto, rosemary, arugula) and the Bacon & Blueberry Jam (mascarpone, mozz, ricotta, blueberry jam & bacon) are my favorites. (More traditional pies are also available)

Bonus points for offering a gluten free crust that isn't premade by Udi's!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:33 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
My kind of eats. I live in Cary, work in RTP, so my responses may reflect that (Not sure what I'll type yet, so they may not...)

Bosphorus - Turkish food (Cary)
Mediteranean Deli and Market - Middle Eastern (Parkwood N'hood of Durham)
Neomonde or Sasool - Mediteranian (Many locations)
Oak City Meatball Shoppe (self explanitory), DT Raleigh
The Federal - bar food, but it meets the requirements Durham (really good, BTW)
Search these forums for "authentic Chinese"
Vietnamese (I several locations, and more popping up)
Sushi (again, not that expensive if you don't drink)
Brew and Que, Cary
Golden Pig (Korean) Cary
Guasaca (L. American) near Rex on Lake Boone
Gringo a Go-Go (Mexican) DT Raleigh
Person Street Station, semi-pretentious bar food, but affordable and good
Big Easy (Cary location). Best Muffaletta in town, really great French Dip, and other great food, but a bar setting.

In general, my GF and I are adventurous, and also cost-concious. We enjoy going to an area with many restaurants (DT Raleigh, Durham, etc.) and "appetizer hopping". We get and share an app in one place, then walk around until we find the next. Repeat until satisfied. Usually 2-4 stops in a night. Cheap, fun date, and a great way to "sample places".

Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
A few off the top:

Poole's
Nana's
Nanataco
Brew n Que
Joule
Little Hen
Academy Street Bistro (sometimes can come off like they are trying to be pretentious, but good food either way)
Oakleaf
Bida Manda
Garland
Buku (pho is great!)
Viva DF
Station
Guglhupf
Tallullah's
Neomonde/Sassool
Carrburritos

The reasons are nothing more than you stated - great food, authentic atmosphere (authentic meaning true to who they are, not trying to be like others or a chain), not like 90% of the bland boring food dished out in the area.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:38 PM

650 posts, read 929,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I am on the hunt for some new places to eat.... Non-chain restaurants that have some originality to them and offer something other than the dime-a-dozen sport bar menus.

A place that is trying to stand apart from the plague of mediocre food. Good food that isn't necessarily trying to be fine dining... an unpretentious place that isn't trying to dazzle you with unpronounceable ingredients and museum quality presentations.

What are your favorites and why do you like them?
Jay's Chicken Shack in Hillsboro. Country cooking with pressure cooker style fried chicken.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Carrboro: Acme Food & Beverage Co.

Cary: La Farm Bakery, Bosphorus, Brew N Que, Lucky 32, Cilantro Indian Cafe

Chapel Hill: Mediterranean Deli, Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen, Merritt's, Buns, Al's Burger Shack

Durham: Rise Biscuits & Donuts, Pizzeria Toro, Backyard BBQ Pit, Heavenly Buffaloes, Mateo, Parker & Otis, Rue Cler, Toast, Dame's Chicken & Waffles, Saltbox Seafood Joint, Guglhupf, KoKyu Na’Mean, Old Havana Sandwich Shop

Morrisville: C&T Wok, Blaze Fast-Fire'd Pizza

Raleigh: Bida Manda, Guasaca, The Cowfish, Mami Nora's/Alpaca, Neomonde, J Betski's, The Fiction Kitchen, Trophy Brewing Company, Bad Daddy's Burger Bar (chain but really really good), Hayes Barton Cafe, Gonza Tacos Y Tequila, Chuck's, Taqueria El Toro, Calavera, Beasley's, Jose and Sons, Salt & Lime, Sono, Garland, Glenwood Grill, Pho Far East, 18 Seaboard, Mitch's Tavern, Joule Coffee, Sitti, Soo Cafe, Taste Small Plates, The Remedy Diner, Sosta Cafe, Seoul Garden, Chubby's Tacos, Gravy, Capital Club 16

That should keep you busy for a while.....

Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM

369 posts, read 460,125 times
Great lists so far. Most of the ones I was planning on contributing have already been mentioned.

A few to add.... More. (same folks as Taste), Mandolin, Taverna Agora, Players Retreat, Clouds Brewing, Cave 1912 and Tazza.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM

650 posts, read 929,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Great lists so far. Most of the ones I was planning on contributing have already been mentioned.

A few to add.... More. (same folks as Taste), Mandolin, Taverna Agora, Players Retreat, Clouds Brewing, Cave 1912 and Tazza.
...and The Standard or Stanbury in Mordcia area of Raleigh. I have not been but have heard good things.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM

369 posts, read 460,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
...and The Standard or Stanbury in Mordcia area of Raleigh. I have not been but have heard good things.
Good call. Love Stanbury. I haven't been to Standard Foods yet but have been meaning to. Reservations fill up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary