Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times

Advertisements

I am also Phoenix, and can back up the PHX costs that CH123 speaks about!

Also, the state tax is lower NOW maybe in AZ, but I don't see how they won't be forced to raise it given the condition of the AZ budget. (Not an expert in that field, just throwing that out there!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Not true! I am talking facts here that are easily verifiable.

I said that NC state income tax was higher by about 3% than AZ.

NC sales tax is 7% and hence lower than 8%- 8.95 % they charge here in the Phoenix area.

Food was cheaper- I went to Harris Teeter and Oroweat Buttermilk bread was $3.19 while here it is $3.89 and Pasta was $1.19 vs $1.39.

Gas was within a few cents so overall it was a wash.

Oh- I was wrong about Vehicle plate yearly renewal- On a $50k new car you need to pay $840+ for the first year in AZ and it would be about $325 in Wake County if not living within a municipality otherwise it would be about $500. So they are definitely higher in AZ.

Utility Bills will always be higher here in Phoenix as for the extreme temperature for 8-9 months of the year when the A/C works non stop 24 hrs a day. You have to compare similar sized houses not comparable value houses, as you definitely get more for your money in the Raleigh area and you end up with a bigger house.

Personal factors and your personal experience and interaction with NC residents, I cant comment on as it will vary with each individual.

Well in Chandler where I live the sales tax is 7.80% . To register our car which was worth 37,000 was 500.00 in NC, but we are buying the Plates in AZ in NC you dont, you are forgetting the NC property tax on cars per year, ours for one car was 275.00. so a little over 500.00 a year for both. Our electric there for our house in July was 300.00 here in AZ in August it was $175-190 was our highest, we have had the heat on twice so our bill last month was 60.00. Food, I can get a loaf of bread at Walmart Supercenter for 1.75 and Pasta for 1.00. Milk 1.99, Harris teeter Milk over 3.00, Tillamook cheese there is 12.00 a 2 pound brick, here I got it for 6.00. My husband had the A/c on from end of May to Mid September. I guess things are different for everyone.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 15,801 times
When we moved here to NW Raleigh (Leesville schools) we loved that we could get a bit of land, trees, and still have a "neighborhood" feel. The cookie-cutter houses on land the size of a cracker (i.e. Bedford) might seem great b/c they're new, but I think it'd get old fast. BTW we bought new in NW Raleigh and love it! (North of 540 between Leesville and Norwood) Wake Forest seems to be a nice area as well, but for us schools were important - everyone I know in WF tries to get into the Academy, so I take it that the schools aren't the best. Good luck with your search!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:31 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well in Chandler where I live the sales tax is 7.80% . To register our car which was worth 37,000 was 500.00 in NC, but we are buying the Plates in AZ in NC you dont, you are forgetting the NC property tax on cars per year, ours for one car was 275.00. so a little over 500.00 a year for both.
Out of state car registration is a one time fee in NC that I agree is probably out of line and a anomaly. You pay that only once when you register your out of state car or buy a new/used car. But it can be easily avoided if you buy a car in NC as it is offset by the sales tax.

The yealy renewal for plates will cost you more in AZ (60% of the value of car X $2.80/new or $2.89/used) vs NC even after paying the yearly property taxes in NC ( value of car X .604 to 1.04). I did not forget the tax as I had included it in my calculation in my post above.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Out of state car registration is a one time fee in NC that I agree is probably out of line and a anomaly. You pay that only once when you register your out of state car or buy a new/used car. But it can be easily avoided if you buy a car in NC as it is offset by the sales tax.

The yealy renewal for plates will cost you more in AZ (60% of the value of car X $2.80/new or $2.89/used) vs NC even after paying the yearly property taxes in NC ( value of car X .604 to 1.04). I did not forget the tax as I had included it in my calculation in my post above.
you do have to renew your plates every year in NC and pay the property tax which on my husbands 06 dodge ram was almost 300.00 and on my murano was 250.00. And the assesed value drop in AZ every year, thats what they told us, that next year it will be less. Plus there are other benefits of living here we didnt have in NC after two years there enough was enough, atleast here we make enough to have a decent life.

Last edited by Nea1; 12-07-2006 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 06:14 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times
Quote:
Well in Chandler where I live the sales tax is 7.80% . To register our car which was worth 37,000 was 500.00 in NC, but we are buying the Plates in AZ in NC you dont, you are forgetting the NC property tax on cars per year, ours for one car was 275.00. so a little over 500.00 a year for both. Our electric there for our house in July was 300.00 here in AZ in August it was $175-190 was our highest, we have had the heat on twice so our bill last month was 60.00. Food, I can get a loaf of bread at Walmart Supercenter for 1.75 and Pasta for 1.00. Milk 1.99, Harris teeter Milk over 3.00, Tillamook cheese there is 12.00 a 2 pound brick, here I got it for 6.00. My husband had the A/c on from end of May to Mid September. I guess things are different for everyone.

Electric 175-190 for a house with a pool in August in AZ? When I lived in a 700 sqft apt in Az it was that. I never heard of such a thing in AZ. If I move to NC and my electric is 300 in August I'll be dancing the gig

You have to pay for plates every year in AZ. The older your car gets they get cheaper but it's still expensive compared to other states, except the states where you have to pay that stupid property tax but it would be a wash otherwise.

Why would you shop at Harris Teeter in NC when you had Super Walmart in NC or didn't you in that area?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
My first bill for A/C in the summer in NC was over 300.00 dollars and that was with a new unit!! then you need to heat from October on, I havent had to trun my heat on but once or twice in AZ so far, my bill in August for A/C here in Az was 175.00. Those bigger houses in NC cost more to heat and cool!

I don't mind 300 in the Summer that's perfectly fine. I never heard of a 175 dollar electric bill in August in Phx. You better stay put there, something is wrong with SRP's meter. Are you kidding?

Oh I've been running my heat for awhile now Winter bills are good though the rates are half the price. They hose you in the Summer.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
I don't mind 300 in the Summer that's perfectly fine. I never heard of a 175 dollar electric bill in August in Phx. You better stay put there, something is wrong with SRP's meter. Are you kidding?

Oh I've been running my heat for awhile now Winter bills are good though the rates are half the price. They hose you in the Summer.
My pool isnt heated, and yes we havent had to have the heat on here but maybe once or twice, so my bills so far are 50-60 and my house isnt huge here like it was in NC so it doesnt cost much to cool, and i didnt need it down to 65 I am good at 80. My neighbors are the same way, there bills arent high either. But 175- 300 a month for 8 months there in NC was a bit much, heat and cooling. it is better if you have gas there.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweattea View Post
Electric 175-190 for a house with a pool in August in AZ? When I lived in a 700 sqft apt in Az it was that. I never heard of such a thing in AZ. If I move to NC and my electric is 300 in August I'll be dancing the gig

You have to pay for plates every year in AZ. The older your car gets they get cheaper but it's still expensive compared to other states, except the states where you have to pay that stupid property tax but it would be a wash otherwise.

Why would you shop at Harris Teeter in NC when you had Super Walmart in NC or didn't you in that area?
Do you have to pay tax on it plus the plate fee here? Nc we did. for us it was 550.00 a year in property tax plus emissions test and plate fee every year. Harris teeter is the only place to get Tillamook Cheese in NC, so we had to go there for that.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have to pay tax on it plus the plate fee here? Nc we did. for us it was 550.00 a year in property tax plus emissions test and plate fee every year. Harris teeter is the only place to get Tillamook Cheese in NC, so we had to go there for that.

No AZ doesn't have that stupid property tax but the plates are expensive in AZ so it's a wash with NC you need emissions there too. My cars are 10 years old so my property tax shouldn't be too much for my cars in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary