Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,313 times

Advertisements

We have decided to apply for year round school and the application asks me to rank the tracks in order of my preference. Two of my neighbors are also applying and we would all like to be on the same track. Our order of preference is 4, 1, 3, 2. We want the "best" track we can get while still getting the same track.

Does anyone know the algorithm WCPSS uses for assigning tracks? If we put track 1 as our first choice, do we have a reasonably good chance of all getting it? Or do we need to put track 3 first? Or track 2 (I hope not). If two of us get the same track and a third gets another, can we appeal? if so what are the chances of the appeal working? And by the way, we aren't even sure that we will get into year round school. Does our track choice influence our acceptance?

I can't seem to find any of these answers on the WCPSS web site or anywhere else, so if anyone has any advice for me at all, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
You all probably have a better shot at getting track 2 or 3 together. 4 and 1 are the most popular. My neighbor and I wanted track one and did 1,4,3,2. We both got track 1.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
slynn is correct -- tracks 4 and 1 are the most popular. I have a friend whose neighborhood all put in for Track 3 as their first choice. I believe most of them got it. They have boys in kindergarten and wanted them on the same track. I'm on Track 2 and it was my first choice, so I got it. My preference was 2,1,4,3.

I was told that appeals are really only for serious matters. Our principal described a "serious matter" as a track assignment interferring with court ordered child custody visitation, not the fact that you couldn't go on vacation to your Aunt Betsy's house with the rest of your family. So I'm guessing that appealing because you're not on the same track as your neighbor probably won't work. Sorry.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:32 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
It also depends on the school you are attending. At our school, there are two classes for track 4, but one class for each track 1, 2, 3. So, I tried to get on track one, and did not, and yes you can appeal (it has to be a strong reason that impacts your family as to why you need a different track) and see what they say. We appealed and they said no to track one (again) but offered us 4, which we accepted. I too was trying to get on the same track as my neighbor. They ended up on 1 and we are on 4. Now, for us it has actually worked out well! I realized if they had been in the same class, they would have possibly ended up in the same class all through elementary school, which may not have worked out the best for our kids, great for us, but not so great for them.

So, if your school has one track that has more than one class, that may be easier to get in..........but, tracks 2 and 3, regardless of the school, seem to be the easiest to get on.

Leigh

Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
Good God! What a nightmare. No wonder so many people are complaining. Wouldn't it be nice just to have year round magnet schools? Now I know why many from Wake County are moving to Orange! Sorry. Just had to chime in.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Good God! What a nightmare. No wonder so many people are complaining. Wouldn't it be nice just to have year round magnet schools? Now I know why many from Wake County are moving to Orange! Sorry. Just had to chime in.
I would have to say, from my limited experience, that wake county schools are working hard with what they have (tons of people moving to the area) and the schools are very good. Year round school has worked well for us, my daughter is happy at school during her 9 week in session and ready to go back after her 3 week break. We are able to go out and vacation at off times of the year, and there are many track out camps if one chooses that route for their child.

I think that wake county schools get a bad rap, and let's remember there are over 130k kids going through the school system. You then have just as many parents with their own opinions of how well people are doing, etc. The key to a success of a school is parental involvement at the school, volunteering, connecting with your children's teachers, talking with the administrators. I just think the wake county school system is such an easy target, when all the system is doing is trying to accommodate all of the needs in an area that has seen tremendous growth.

Okay, off of my soapbox!

Leigh

Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,313 times
Thank you so much slynn41072 and WorkingMomof2 for your replies. It is very helpful for me to hear examples of how track choices turned out for others. And wow, leighbhe, you made some great points that I had not considered before. Thank you so much. I'm going to have to think hard about all of that!

I would very respectfully ask that this thread not turn into a debate about the school system. Please start another thread if you wish to continue. Your answers to my question are very important to me and I would really like to stay on topic. Thanks for understanding!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdraben View Post
Does our track choice influence our acceptance?
I don't think so. If you list all the tracks on your application (in whatever order) and they have a spot, they should offer it to you...even if it's your last choice. We've applied for 2 years now, for any track at all. Last year I decided to list them in order of least popular first and we were STILL denied. I really feel like I filled out an application again this year just to make a point. I'm sure we'll be denied again. I don't know where ALL the people that just HAD to have traditional went, but I can't even sell a seat at our traditional school. Weird. It seems to be an argument that only occurs online.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
I don't think so. If you list all the tracks on your application (in whatever order) and they have a spot, they should offer it to you...even if it's your last choice. We've applied for 2 years now, for any track at all. Last year I decided to list them in order of least popular first and we were STILL denied. I really feel like I filled out an application again this year just to make a point. I'm sure we'll be denied again. I don't know where ALL the people that just HAD to have traditional went, but I can't even sell a seat at our traditional school. Weird. It seems to be an argument that only occurs online.
I think it's unfair that if you have a base year round you have the option of year round or traditional, but if your base is traditional you have to apply and in many areas your chance of getting year round are slim. I applied yesterday to Morrisville for my daughter who will be starting kindergarten and my first choice is track 2 because I'm hoping we can continue our Thanksgiving visits to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Florida. Morrisville has one of the higher acceptance rates, but I'm not getting my heart set on it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Can someone explain to me, how does it work if you move to Wake County and are assigned to a year-round school-and you arrive when the tracks already started?

For example, what if you move there in say, late Aug. Your kid finished their former grade in June and is poised to start the next one. Where do they jump in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary