U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,355,401 times

Advertisements

Who would I contact to get power and the inputs above my mantle to get a flat screen TV to work above a mantle? Is it just an electrician? Can anyone recommend someone in SW Durham or anyone in the triangle area?

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,958,625 times
Matt-

I assume the fireplace doesn't affect the mounting (i.e. it's not a full length fireplace, just standard sheetrock above the mantle)

You won't need an electrician unless you have a specific reason to want to put an outlet on the wall up there. All you need is a TV installation.

There are several options with wall-mounts...the cheapie plan gives you the wall mount and plugs the wires in to the nearest outlet - not what you want.

The "Premium" option allows you to "hide wires" through the wall. They will punch a hole in the wall behind the TV and then punch another hole by the nearest outlet (assuming there's one handy). They will then run the wires through the wall, pop them out next to the outlet, and then plug it in, sealing both holes.

They should be able to run the Coax and also the component/HDMI cables through the same passage, unless you want to get really crazy with something like RFI controls on your components.

Magnolia/Best Buy I think charges 500-600 bucks for the premium installation (I think that includes the bracket too) but most local guys will charge...at least from my experience in LA....300-400ish.

Sorry, don't have a referral, but you just need to look for a premium plasma wall mount with hiding wires, not an electrician.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM

8,591 posts, read 15,727,084 times
Be sure the heat from the fireplace won't cook the TV dramatically reducing its life.

Electronics hate heat.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM

492 posts, read 1,161,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Be sure the heat from the fireplace won't cook the TV dramatically reducing its life.

Electronics hate heat.
My understanding is a mantle deflects the heat out from the wall and the flat screen, but agree you should consult with an expert.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

140 posts, read 418,361 times
gas or wood also impacts the heat

I'm doing this right now on my own
I bought all my mounts/HDMi cables, Surround wall plates ect from here for 1/2 what local stores where charging
www.monoprice.com

I plan on cutting all the wholes and running the wires then paying a sheetrock pro to come out and patch up

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM

576 posts, read 2,162,070 times
Use grommets instead of cutting nasty raw holes.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,060,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
My understanding is a mantle deflects the heat out from the wall and the flat screen, but agree you should consult with an expert.
The way that the heat is vented can also effect. If the chimney is not properly insulated it will cook from behind.....usually if you go to BB or CC they will have an option to create a new outlet for you while mounting it. They have electricians as contractors so that would not be a problem.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,952,791 times
If I remember right, you have a direct vent fireplace right Matt? If you have the lines fished through the framing for the fireplace make certain they do not come in contact with the flue...it gets very hot Ideally I would cut a square out and run everything with total visibility (as mentioned) and then repair the sheetrock. I would secure the cables to the inside of the wall to make sure they never contact the flue. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM

140 posts, read 418,361 times
To help clarify my good freind is an installer for BB/magnolia. Some things he shared with me
1. Make sure you have at least 2 framing studs to mount the TV to. Some builders just use a hollow box and in this case you'll need to rip out all sheetrock over the Fp and install the 2x4's needed for support.
2. Measure the Tv placement and mount HDMI/RCA/Power recepticals as far to the left or right as you can (whichever is closest to your entrance point on the wall) while still making sure they are covered by the TV. The center of the wall on the fireplace tends to be the warmest area.
3. For the ultimate in saftey create "C" notches in the framing facing out of the wall. Run all sound/video wire through those. Run power/electrical BEHIND the studs but also stapled to the studs.
4. Plan ahead ,Since you got the wall open you might as well do it all now. Run COAX, HDMI, RCA, Componant and speaker wires...you might as well do it now and the flexibility helps with resale.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM

820 posts, read 1,868,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Who would I contact to get power and the inputs above my mantle to get a flat screen TV to work above a mantle? Is it just an electrician? Can anyone recommend someone in SW Durham or anyone in the triangle area?

Thanks in advance!
Matt
You'll should either:
Find an installer who is also a licensed electrician.

or

Hire an installer AND an electrician... Your installer may contract with someone to do the electrical wiring or at least provide a recommendation.

Talk with a few installers and get quotes which will probably include the wall mount. Don't under-estimate this cost because you can spend between $100 and $500 depending on the size of the TV, if the mount tilts/swivels/etc., and the quality. I am picky so I purchased the two mounts I have myself. One from the internet and one from Tiger Direct on Capital BLVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary