U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 2,655,147 times

Advertisements

From the Population Estimates Program of the U.S. Bureau of the Census (and ECanned.com), The demographic profile for Durham County, North Carolina is as follows:

"In the year 2005, the population division of U.S. Census Bureau estimates the median age in Durham County, North Carolina to be 33.3 years of age. The median age in Durham is less than the median age for the State of North Carolina of 36.2. Since the year 2000, the area has witnessed an increase in the median, when the median age was 32.2 years old. With a total of 24.3 percent of the 2005 population being comprised of individuals under the age of 18, Durham can be understood as having a medium-high proportion of youths. The 18 to 64 years old population group has a relatively high representation within the population, making up 66.2 percent of the population makes up this age category. The retirement (65 and over) age group comprises 9.5 percent of the total population base. Compared to other counties throughout the nation, this represents a relatively low proportion of the population.

"Durham County, North Carolina had an estimated population of 242,582 in 2005. The estimated population has increased sharply, since the 2000 total population of 224,531. This growth shows an increase of 8 percent. Durham ranks 8 of 100 counties in terms of population growth in North Carolina and the county ranks 196 of 3,141 counties when analyzing total county population change across the nation.

"Since the year 2000, a very high amount of people have migrated to Durham internationally. The migration from outside the US into Durham makes up 7 percent of the total migration into the State of North Carolina. This percent of international migration is very high when analyzed against the base population in the year 2005 and compared to other counties across the US.

"Durham County, North Carolina has a population that is made up of 46.1 percent White, 37.5 percent African American, 4 percent Asian, and 11 percent Hispanic. This area can be considered to have a very high level of diversity, with 52.5 percent of the population being minorities. This is greater than the State of North Carolina percent of 29.6. Since 2000, Durham has increased the level of diversity when 50.5 percent of the population was made up of minorities."

Durham is No. 3 behind Wake County in terms of highest total industry employment growth in North Carolina with 5,783 jobs gained (though Wake had 17,714 jobs gained, but Wake, I believe is a much bigger county. Not certain.).

"In Durham County, Manufacturing, Health care and social assistance, and the Professional and technical services industries are the largest employment industries. The Manufacturing provides the most jobs and contributes 21.2 percent of all jobs throughout the county, totaling 32,189 people employed. The Health care and social assistance and Professional and technical services industries make up 18.8 and 10.4 percent of total employment, respectively.

In Durham County (2005), Educational services, Manufacturing and Professional and technical services industries have the highest United States location quotient (LQ). (Though manufacturing lost 17.6 percent of the employment in the industry since 2000). The Educational services sector in the county has a location quotient of 3.41. This means the percent of total employment in the Educational services industry is 3.41 times the percent of the national average, This signifies that Durham County produces more than its local requirement of products and/or services of Educational services."
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 AM

1,666 posts, read 3,461,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
BullCityRising,
Thanks for posting these stats. These are exactly what I've been trying to find! Can you either posting or pming me where you found these stats? Thanks!
PDXmom -- glad this was helpful! The Durham Convention & Visitor's Bureau put the stats together in this way. The original PDF is posted at http://www.durham-nc.com/pdf/2005_School_Scores.pdf (broken link).

Quote:
And as far as why more people choose Raleigh over Durham, I think part of it is how much time a person has to research. If you are relocated and have two weeks to find a new neighborhood, a school for your kids, and buy a home (not to mention all the stuff that goes on with selling your old home in your old city) then it's probably tempting to take the easiest route. Magazines rate Cary as the #1 place to live. Wake Co Schools are rated #2 in the South (so I hear). These are all very tempting and easy and safe. And who can blame a person for taking that route when they are about to put themselves and their families through the stress of relocating.

I'm just thankful that I've had more time to do research and I appreciate your insight, BullCityRising.
Oh, they are very tempting. And I just want to be clear, I don't think that Durham is intrinsically "better" than Wake... or vice versa. There are lots of great reasons to live in Wake County, too, and it's the right place for a lot of people. Either one may or may not be the right one for a particular individual.

Some areas of Wake aren't "for me," but if we were in a hypothetical world down the road where (say) both my wife and I worked in downtown Raleigh, would we consider moving there to have short commutes? We certainly would... though we'd really miss Durham. But there are great neighborhoods (including some that would appeal to us, downtown Raleigh or the ITB neighborhoods) there as well.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,279,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
... And I just want to be clear, I don't think that Durham is intrinsically "better" than Wake... or vice versa. There are lots of great reasons to live in Wake County, too, and it's the right place for a lot of people. Either one may or may not be the right one for a particular individual.

Some areas of Wake aren't "for me," but if we were in a hypothetical world down the road where (say) both my wife and I worked in downtown Raleigh, would we consider moving there to have short commutes? We certainly would... though we'd really miss Durham. But there are great neighborhoods (including some that would appeal to us, downtown Raleigh or the ITB neighborhoods) there as well.
Yeah...it's kinda funny that around here some folks (and sometimes the media) portray a "Wake vs Durham" mentality. When in truth, most of the folks in ITB (inside-the-beltline) Raleigh probably have as much in common (if not more) with the Durhamites than they do with North Raleigh, Cary and other Wake people.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 7,054,382 times
Quote:
PDXmom -- glad this was helpful! The Durham Convention & Visitor's Bureau put the stats together in this way. The original PDF is posted at http://www.durham-nc.com/pdf/2005_School_Scores.pdf (broken link).
THANK YOU!!!!

Quote:
And I just want to be clear, I don't think that Durham is intrinsically "better" than Wake... or vice versa.
IMHO, I've never felt that you or any other board members have been trying to prove one city better than another or one county better than another. We all carry around our lense that we view life with and our lenses aren't the same. But since it seems most of the local posters are from Wake Co, it's good to get a Durham Co lense too!

RaleighRob makes an excellent point about ITB and Durham being similar. So I guess that means we all should buy real estate in the urban parts of Durham and watch it soar over the next few years like ITB has done.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
RaleighRob makes an excellent point about ITB and Durham being similar. So I guess that means we all should buy real estate in the urban parts of Durham and watch it soar over the next few years like ITB has done.
It's already beginning to happen. If you ever hear about anything that Greenfire Development is doing, check it out. They have turned the historical building renovation industry upside down with some majorly successful and amazing work over there.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 7,054,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
It's already beginning to happen. If you ever hear about anything that Greenfire Development is doing, check it out. They have turned the historical building renovation industry upside down with some majorly successful and amazing work over there.
Thanks for a tip!! I'll keep my eye out for them.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

156 posts, read 380,976 times
Ok,
I can attest and give you an honest an answer as I just moved to Durham Jan 2nd from Southern NH. I am a young male and love urban living...My original plans was to move to Raleigh when first considering moving out here...After looking at all the different areas, when visiting I thought Chapel Hill was the place for me as I loved it's charm and thought my commute to RTP would be better than from Raleigh...After my realtor showed some places in Chapel Hill, she thought I should consider Duham...I ended up moving to the first place I seen in Durham as it was a great buy, great location (10 minutes tops to work), & great neighborhood. I see people running late at night & many people walking comfortably. My habitat is very quiet and earth friendly. I can say that downtown does have it's good areas and it has it's bad ones...But, which is a great but, the city is heading in great direction as it's in the process of rebuilding it's streets, restructuring it's old tobacco warehouses, recruting new businesses/stores/venues based on a survey taken from the comminity, and building a pedestrian friendly community. Durham's school system has realized it's issues and demands and has been made a priority to improve..I am very close to the American Tobacco trail which is about a 6 mile ride straight to the ballpark in downtown...Durham is a great value that if you are patient and wait a bit, you will benefit greatly. Traffic in the area is minimal, which will probably get worse as more and more people will move to the area after the downtown project is done...One of my favorite things about being in Durham is being central to al the Triangle has to offer...Downtown in 10 minutes, Chapel Hill in 10-15, Raleigh in 15-20, Wake Forest in 30-40, beach in 2-2.5 hours, mountains in 2 hours, Charlotte in 2-2.5 hours...If your children's education is a primary concern, then I would do more research. It was never a concern for me as I have no kids so I never payed attention to school systems out here...

Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM

48 posts, read 114,947 times
I have been following the different posts and was really impressed with the un biased review of durham. I'm from ny(the bronx,if you can live there you can live anywhere )and was looking for some input about durham because I plan on moving there. It sounds like a place where I can get Cheap chinese food and mexican take out ; a melting pot and that's exactly what I want. To each their own you know! We are all created different and so gravitate to different surroundings. I look forward to visiting next month. Can anyone recomend a cheap motel in that area?
Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
It sounds like a place where I can get Cheap chinese food and mexican take out ; a melting pot and that's exactly what I want.
Pretty much...although usually it's the kind of city you can find a cheap mexican or chinese joint right next door to a four-star high class famous fine dining place. Seems pretty odd at first, but later you see it quite often there, it's natural.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM

1,666 posts, read 3,461,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
I have been following the different posts and was really impressed with the un biased review of durham. I'm from ny(the bronx,if you can live there you can live anywhere )and was looking for some input about durham because I plan on moving there. It sounds like a place where I can get Cheap chinese food and mexican take out ; a melting pot and that's exactly what I want. To each their own you know! We are all created different and so gravitate to different surroundings. I look forward to visiting next month. Can anyone recomend a cheap motel in that area?
Thanks
For an inexpensive hotel, take a look at the Red Roof Inn on North Pointe Drive, just off I-85 at Guess Road. Also worth checking sites like Orbitz and Priceline -- many hotels might be inexpensive depending on sports events schedules, conferences, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary