Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times

Advertisements

Sell it. Market is good.

I had a co-worker rent her house using a management company.

Wound up evicting and getting $15K damage.

My FIL was an apt. super. Leave renting to the pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 16,266 times
Where are you in. Raleigh? We are currently looking for a rental;-)

Old 04-14-2016, 03:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,769 times
We are looking to rent. Where's your house? We have been in Raleigh for 2 years. My husband has his own business so we don't have a huge chunk to put in to buying a house at the moment. We used to own our own homes so we are great renters because we know to take care of homes and not bother our landlord for small things. Our landlord is elderly and appreciates all we have done to care for the house. We are currently on a month to month contract for the 2nd year. We thought we would know exactly where we wanted to be by now but we don't. Anyways, sorry to be off topic. It is hard because everyone has a negative option of renters. Some of us are good!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I believe if you are renting out your own home or even if you are a landlord of fewer than 4 properties, the fair housing laws do not apply.

ETA: You do need to look up and become familiar with the landlord/tenant laws of the state, however. Each state has different laws such as how much you can charge for late fees, security deposits, etc. The Renting section under Real Estate here on C-D is very helpful. I think they have a sticky to the state laws.
That's a valid point about the Fair Housing laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar3000 View Post
We are going to definitely rent in Seattle, because we are not sure if we will like it there (I have read that on average people tend to move out of Seattle within 5 years). Also we move too often to buy yet another house. The reason why we want to rent out our current home is because we may want to come back and also because I am very sentimentally attached to it, my husband and I fixed it really beautifully and just refinished the hardwood floors and now it feels such a loss to let it go. The zillow rental value is about 2700. I am not sure is going to be very easy to rent out the house at that price, because people could buy for that money. The house also has a pool, which means we would have to have a service taking care of it, since the renters most likely won't be able to do it.

After reading all the comments I am getting pretty worried of renting it out, since it seems to have almost all downsides to it. Renting out here+renting in seattle would be double headaches and I am not sure I can handle the stress!
The highlighted section in red is EXACTLY why you should NOT rent this house. Being a landlord is being in business. There's no other way to look at it. With this house, it cannot be a business. It's too emotional and sentimental to you.

Let it go. You'll find another house to love even more when/IF you return.

PS - from what I read and hear, the reason so many people leave Seattle is because of the cost of housing. It's ginormous! The rainy weather is another reason to depart.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 16,266 times
We have also rented directly through landlord in the past.... and to be honest, it was a great experience.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
We left NJ in 2005 and have been renting our house ever since and managing it by ourselves. It hasn't been too bad. It does help that we do have some friends in NJ that we can ask to swing over there but we've RARELY needed to do that. If something breaks, the tenants usually contact us and we "authorize" a professional to come in and we pay for the fix. We've had 3 different tenants in the time that we've been here and it was pretty easy to find new ones at the end of each lease.
So - all in all, good experience for us (so far). I think our tenants have enjoyed the fact too that they can always contact us - they're not calling a management company that won't answer their phones after hours or on a Sunday - or take too long to return a call.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:38 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
We rented our home outside of Greenville, NC last Fall. Because of my husbands job we had to relocate within 5 wks. We have a Management Co. supervising the renters and our home. They charge 7% per month. Our tenants will be moving out this coming August. So far we have not had any problems, except for minor repairs in the home. My husband knows a lot of the contractors from the ENC area & we have been able to get things done very quickly.

Now we will have to try and get decent renters once they move out again. It is hard trying to do this long distance, but it can be done with a good Mgt. Company.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:50 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar3000 View Post
We are going to definitely rent in Seattle, because we are not sure if we will like it there (I have read that on average people tend to move out of Seattle within 5 years). Also we move too often to buy yet another house. The reason why we want to rent out our current home is because we may want to come back and also because I am very sentimentally attached to it, my husband and I fixed it really beautifully and just refinished the hardwood floors and now it feels such a loss to let it go. The zillow rental value is about 2700. I am not sure is going to be very easy to rent out the house at that price, because people could buy for that money. The house also has a pool, which means we would have to have a service taking care of it, since the renters most likely won't be able to do it.

After reading all the comments I am getting pretty worried of renting it out, since it seems to have almost all downsides to it. Renting out here+renting in seattle would be double headaches and I am not sure I can handle the stress!
Seattle is wonderful. My daughter lived there for 6 years and I spent a year there. I especially like Magnolia which is in the city, on the water, a short ride to downtown, however most buy on Mercer Island or in Bellvue where everything is newer and there are big malls. Big secret. It does not rain from late May early June until mid October. The Summers are wonderful. No humidity, no bugs and seldom do you need AC.

As far as renting, I would again look for a retired professional couple to rent or if you do choose management, pay no more than 8% of the monthly rent and make a list of what you want them to do or be responsible for. You can also advertise for a property management person. My next door neighbor was a retired property management guy who did 8-10 house just for something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary