Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 11,121 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have definitely considered Lerner, but wondered if there were public schools with at least a few Jewish kids in every grade. I am not sure we want to go the private school route but also want to make sure our kids aren't the only Jewish kids in their classes.

We are definitely looking to join a synagogue this year. We've already visited a few and have narrowed down the options.

Thanks again for the input! Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 11,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
My daughter goes to Holly Springs High and there are a fair amount of Jewish students there (we are Jewish). I know a lot of kids from my Temple are at Green Hope, Apex High and Enloe. The "least" amount of Jewish students in any Wake Co school that we've been in was at Rand Road in Garner. I think the Jewish population in Garner is fairly low. But around Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, N. Raleigh - you'll get a good few Jews!
@DJKB: Interesting—we live in Apex now and I would have thought there wouldn't be a Jewish presence in either Apex or Holly Springs! While I like Apex a lot, I had almost completely ruled it out as a place to buy a home for this reason.

Do you mind me asking which temple you attend? Do you like it?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
My kids attend Green Hope and they have several friends that are Jewish.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie5005 View Post
@TinkaMcKirk: Thanks for the info—do you mind me asking which middle school he attends?
She's currently at Martin Middle School. I'm guessing that the performing arts focus of the school (it's a magnet school) attracts a higher number of Jews than average.

There is a Triangle Jewish Moms group on Facebook -- I'd recommend you join it, as the ladies there are a good resource (lots of Passover talk right now).

Poppydog -- I'm not at all surprised that you would run into more Jewish people in Charlotte and Chapel Hill, but Fayetteville does surprise me.

As most of the other posters mentioned, the closer you are to a synagogue/temple, the higher the population will be. Probably explains the population in Apex/Holly Springs, since the reform temple is in South Cary.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
You are likely out of luck in Wake County, sorry. (Raleigh is part of the Wake County district)

The Jewish community here is quite small. You won't find any public schools with a significant, or frankly even noticeable Jewish population.

Pretty much the only way for your kids to make some Jewish friends is to join a congregation and have them participate in youth group.

Can't speak from experience with Durham county, but I don't think it's much different.
Actually, the Jewish community in the Triangle is somewhat thriving, not sure where you're getting your information from. I mean, it's not Brooklyn or Miami Beach, but it's not bad at all. The two industries feeding growth in the Triangle are healthcare and IT, two professions that tend to have a healthy representation of the Jewish faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie5005 View Post
@DJKB: Interesting—we live in Apex now and I would have thought there wouldn't be a Jewish presence in either Apex or Holly Springs! While I like Apex a lot, I had almost completely ruled it out as a place to buy a home for this reason.

Do you mind me asking which temple you attend? Do you like it?
Jewish people, at least those who are practicing, tend to live relatively near their synagogue and Apex doesn't have one.

North Raleigh has a somewhat prominent Jewish population. On my soccer team there were years we had four Jewish players and needed to reschedule games that fell on the High Holidays (teams are formed based on where the families live). When my oldest son rode the bus to West Millbrook Middle School he was one of six kids who were Jewish.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
There is a small Jewish presence in our schools in Chapel Hill. My kids haven't been the only Jewish students in their classes; but there aren't a plethora of them either. In my kids' grades of about 100 kids each in elementary school, I'd guess there are about 5 Jewish kids (or kids who are being raised Jewish) and maybe the same number who are from a mixed home where one parent is Jewish, but the kids aren't necessarily being raised Jewish or don't belong to a synagogue. We're in Southern Village.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
we're in Cary and have always known Jewish kids in my kids' classes. My DD's best friend is Jewish, she went to all Cary schools. People are spread out here, there aren't really defined pockets within communities.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
we're in Cary and have always known Jewish kids in my kids' classes. My DD's best friend is Jewish, she went to all Cary schools. People are spread out here, there aren't really defined pockets within communities.
Actually, within a Jewish community in an area where there isn't a large population, there usually are defined pockets. Most orthodox/modern orthodox jews will live within walking distance of their synagogue, while most conservative jews will live within a few miles of their synagogue and JCC. Reform/Reconstructionist jews (who still send their kids to Hebrew or Sunday School and go to temple on the High Holidays) will generally live within 10 miles or so of their synagogue. Cultural Jews (we're jewish, but probably haven't stepped foot in a temple since high school) are more dispersed.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
The folks I know vary a lot. I know folks who live in Chapel Hill and have sent their kids to Lerner and go to synagogue. I know some mixed marriages where the kids are very involved in Hebrew classes, etc, and others where they have latkes at Hannukah, but that's about it. They live all over, way out west of Chapel Hill and Carrboro, in Durham, right in Chapel Hill, south of Chapel Hill. They're all over with differing degrees of involvement. I think it's sort of like work. Some people don't mind a long commute.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Poppydog -- I'm not at all surprised that you would run into more Jewish people in Charlotte and Chapel Hill, but Fayetteville does surprise me.
I would think Charlotte and Raleigh would be about the same, but maybe not.

Certainly with the huge numbers of transplants we see now there's all kindsa religions and faiths all over the Triangle.

Here's an older thread that might be of interest: Predominantly Jewish areas?

And if you haven't come across it before here's a site about the history of Jews in NC: JHFNC | Jewish Heritage Foundation of North Carolina
And this is an interesting interview with the author of Down Home: Jewish Life in North Carolina: http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/browse/page/623 From a North Carolinian protestant perspective it jibes with my historical understanding of Jews in NC, mainly integrated into NC society and welcomed and many were hard-working philanthropists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary