Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would think Charlotte and Raleigh would be about the same, but maybe not.

Certainly with the huge numbers of transplants we see now there's all kindsa religions and faiths all over the Triangle.
I think Charlotte and the Triangle may be about the same. But not Raleigh itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 11,101 times
Quote:
I would think Charlotte and Raleigh would be about the same, but maybe not.

Certainly with the huge numbers of transplants we see now there's all kindsa religions and faiths all over the Triangle.

Here's an older thread that might be of interest: Predominantly Jewish areas?

And if you haven't come across it before here's a site about the history of Jews in NC: JHFNC | Jewish Heritage Foundation of North Carolina
And this is an interesting interview with the author of Down Home: Jewish Life in North Carolina: UNC Press - Down Home: Jewish life in North Carolina From a North Carolinian protestant perspective it jibes with my historical understanding of Jews in NC, mainly integrated into NC society and welcomed and many were hard-working philanthropists.
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. It's so nice just to know there is an ongoing conversation about this topic.

Right now I'm in the midst of panic because I am hosting 8 people (my family is coming in from FL) for Passover and am scared I won't be able to find what I need at the grocery store...so it's nice to be reminded there are other Jews around!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:19 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,096,550 times
Steph- I'm sure you saw my response in your other thread. There are LOTS of Jews in Apex - probably a good 25% of our congregation - in fact our Rabbi and his wife live there
Their son is at Apex Middle and several kids from Beth Shalom go there. Apex is a great place for Jews

Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie5005 View Post
I have definitely considered Lerner, but wondered if there were public schools with at least a few Jewish kids in every grade. I am not sure we want to go the private school route but also want to make sure our kids aren't the only Jewish kids in their classes.
I have a hard time believing there aren't "some Jewish kids in every grade" in pretty much EVERY school; I went to grade school here in the 1970s when there was a much smaller transplant population than now, and we always had that--my best friend in 5th-8th grade was Jewish so I got to experience a Bar Mitzvah way back then and learn so many things about Judaism.

Yes, North Ridge was ONCE known as a neighborhood with lots of Jews; there is an Orthodox synagogue and school (I know there's another name for it) within walking distance of there, so that started the trend, I guess. Also a conservative synagogue on Newton Road not far away.

But, Chapel Hill or Durham might have even more per capita--I know there is a very nice Jewish Community Center in Durham, and I used to work in a bookstore in Chapel Hill and we had a 'heavy' (compared to other parts of the area) Jewish clientele. That would not be a fun commute to NCSU, however.

The City-Data pages for individual cities have Religion breakdowns about 2/3 of the way down [search on "Religious statistics"), but they don't even break out Jewish, for Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Cary, and Durham?? Just "Other"...which is highest in Chapel Hill at 4.5.

Raleigh (4.0% "Other")

Durham (3.1% "Other")

Chapel Hill (4.5% "Other")

Cary (4.0% "Other")

But, again, you or your kids should not feel "out of place" for being Jewish here, in any school.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:52 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie5005 View Post
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. It's so nice just to know there is an ongoing conversation about this topic.

Right now I'm in the midst of panic because I am hosting 8 people (my family is coming in from FL) for Passover and am scared I won't be able to find what I need at the grocery store...so it's nice to be reminded there are other Jews around!
Someone at my synagogue just posted that Kroger on 15-501 has a good selection. I haven't seen it for myself to verify.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM

129 posts, read 178,524 times
The Kroger on Falls and Stickland has a great selection. I've always assumed it was because of the temple across the street.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 PM

90 posts, read 89,506 times
We've run into a few Jewish families with kids just by going to the park in Chapel Hill. When I take walks I occasionally see a menorah in a window or some other indication of Jewishness. I once saw an Orthodox man with payot riding by on a bicycle and I thought I was trippin'.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,807,705 times
There are approximately 250,000 households in Raleigh and Cary. The following text was copied from Beth Meyer Synagogue's webpage-

What is the Jewish population in Raleigh?
Wake County currently has the second largest Jewish population in North Carolina (Charlotte has the largest.). The Jewish Federation of Raleigh-Cary currently has a mailing list for over 4000 Jewish households in Wake County. However, there is reason to believe that there are as many as 5000 Jewish households in our area and that they remain unidentified because they do not contact the synagogues or call the Federation office to be added to the mailing list.

The Jewish population in Wake County is very diverse. Some people were born and raised here or returned here after college to live. Many others have been relocated here from all over the country. Raleigh is also an attractive place to retire, so we have many transplanted retirees.

So if you use their high side estimate of 5,000 Jewish households and divide into 250,000 total, that translates to a Jewish population of about 2%.

Speaking as an ex-NYer whose work allows me to be very aware of local demographics-it may be easier to focus on areas that
A)You like and want to live in
and
B) Will offer some diversity
than it will be to find specific areas/subdivisions/zip codes with bigger numbers of Jewish kids in school.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I think Charlotte and the Triangle may be about the same. But not Raleigh itself.
Why do you think that? I don't live in Raleigh and have no idea, but I just figured Jews were fairly evenly spread out in the cities (probably not as much in the country).

Old 04-20-2016, 07:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,874 times
Quote:
Why do you think that? I don't live in Raleigh and have no idea, but I just figured Jews were fairly evenly spread out in the cities (probably not as much in the country).
I'd guess that it has to do with the establishment of the Jewish communities pre-1900s. Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, etc. were all manufacturing cities. Raleigh, as the capital, was a political city -- which tends to be a bit of the "old boys network". Jews couldn't even hold public office in NC until the late 1800s. Not to say that there hasn't been an influx of transplants in the mid-late 1900s. But I also think you have to include Chapel Hill and Durham in that equation, given the more liberal environments, along with the academic and medical communities.

Again - just my theory (as a cultural anthropology geek).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary