Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 11,113 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm soliciting advice from locals. I want to join a synagogue in the next year or so and am wondering the following:

Which synagogue do you belong to?
What do you like about it?
Is there anything you don't like about it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,406 times
Hi Stephanie
I'm at Beth Shalom in Cary. Been a member since 2007 so almost 10 years. I LOVE our Rabbi - I find that I agree with all of his views and he really "speaks" to me in his sermons.
I like that BS is small and I know most of the members. My kids are really comfortable there and have made great friends.
I guess the biggest drawback is that it is small and doesn't easily raise the funds that some of the bigger Temples do....so we don't have all the great amenities.
FYI there's a FB page for Raleigh Jewish Moms https://www.facebook.com/groups/908336535880794/ and you'll get a lot of Temple info there!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 11,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Hi Stephanie
I'm at Beth Shalom in Cary. Been a member since 2007 so almost 10 years. I LOVE our Rabbi - I find that I agree with all of his views and he really "speaks" to me in his sermons.
I like that BS is small and I know most of the members. My kids are really comfortable there and have made great friends.
I guess the biggest drawback is that it is small and doesn't easily raise the funds that some of the bigger Temples do....so we don't have all the great amenities.
FYI there's a FB page for Raleigh Jewish Moms https://www.facebook.com/groups/908336535880794/ and you'll get a lot of Temple info there!
That's great information—thank you so much! I visited Beth Shalom for Yom Kippur day services last year and liked it. I really liked the Rabbi's sermon.

I will definitely join the Facebook group!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
We were members at Beth Meyer for the first few years we lived here. We really like Rabbi Solomon, and the Conservative movement is the right balance of observance for my family. But there are odd social dynamics in play there and depending on who you become friends with early on, the experience can be either very fulfilling or very frustrating. I also really like Rabbi Herman at Sha'arei Israel (Chabad), but my wife likes sitting with me during services and so that sort of gets in the way.

I should also point out that a smaller congregation is often an asset (reduced cliquishness, increased visibility) , so Beth Shalom might be your best option.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 04-19-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
We belonged to Judea Reform in Durham for two years and now we belong to Kehillah (Reconstructionist) in Chapel Hill. There was a lot of turnover of staff when we were at Judea, and we were not thrilled with some of the administrators. They have a new rabbi now, who I heard is quite good and more progressive than the last one. We like the small congregation feel at Kehillah. Everyone has been very welcoming, and the people are down to earth. For us, the convenience trumps everything, as we now attend more events since it's so close by. I've met Rabbi Greyber at Beth El in Durham, too. He is super nice, and I've heard good things about the synagogue, too. It's Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary