U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM

54 posts, read 178,766 times
Default Family Room, TV Room?

This might seem like a strange question but generally where do people set their tv's up? I've seen about 50 houses in the RTP area and in most cases the focal point in the family room is the fireplace. In some homes, I've noticed people putting their tv's up against the windows, wedged against corners, etc (looking ridiculous imho). The alternative is to place a lcd/plasma above the fireplace mantle - but I don't know if I would like to stare up watching tv.

Do people generally put their tv's in the bonus room or in the family room in some semi-awkward location?

Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 05:57 AM

961 posts, read 1,616,239 times
Our TV is in an awkward place in our house. Unfortunately the builder didn't plan ahead for where a person could a TV in a family room LOL. So my TV is wedged in a corner, by a window, on one side of our family room. Seriously, unless I got a plasma TV to hang over the fireplace, there would be no other place to put one.

In our new home, there are 2 potential places to put a TV. One is on a solid wall opposite the kitchen, and the other is in a TV "nook" over the fireplace.

In some homes, there just is no ideal place to put a TV!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,141,726 times
Silly guys! Don't you understand...women want the home to look like a model...a tv in a model? Ridiculous! Just kidding.

The "tv niche" seems to be fading. Its really too high for the tv and most tv's are now too large for the niche, anyway. Putting a plasma tv up there isn't much better.

Usually a flat wall can accomadate a wall unit where you can put the tv and close it off, if necessary. My kids DO have a tv in the bonus room, its more their playroom.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vicki

Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM

354 posts, read 752,730 times
The best place to put a TV is generally where the Fireplace is built. That generally is the focal point of the room and all the seating arrangement is centered around it.
That said, since I think one would want to use the Fireplace the next best place would be on either side of the fireplace. And the center of the TV should be roughly at same hieght as your eye level when u sit down to watch TV.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 5,128,189 times
We're kinda fortunate in that our place has a separate formal living room (where the fireplace is) and a den (where we've put the tv/stereo/home-theatre). The den has the comfy couch right in front of the tv/hometheatre (on a flat wall). And the living room has the "nicer" furniture with the pretty throw pillows, artsy lamps, built-in-bookcases, etc. It's an older home, back when it was typical to have a separate formal room for entertaining (either "living room" or "parlour" as they often called it).

It also has separate formal dining room, from the eat-in kitchen. Boy they really liked to entertain back in those days.....too bad they made the bathrooms so tiny though!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:49 PM

1,102 posts, read 2,387,742 times
We had 2 options. On either side of the fireplace on top of built in cabinetry or in our armoire on the only wall that could hold it. We opted for to the right of the fireplace and put the armoire in the living room.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 AM

41 posts, read 2,686 times
You make a vey good point about the fireplaces being in the exact spot a tv would be perfect in. I too have found it challenging to find a good place in my living room to place the tv. in the end I will place it along the wall to the left of the fireplace using a small tv stand and probably a 32" flat screen LCD tv as to not overcrowd the room. I am really amazed how almost every home in this area has a fireplace. It seems a little bit of an overkill. It is almost like the builders put them in becasue they aren't all that expensive and then it just adds to the list of ammenities a house has to offer whether you wanted it in the first place or not.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 PM

54 posts, read 178,766 times
Default Agreed...

I personally would love to remove it but I know it would affect the resale value (if my wife wouldn't kill me, I would put my tv right in front of it).

PLUS - how lame is flipping a switch to turn it on/off - it's like sitting around a lighter and admiring it.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 AM

653 posts, read 2,090,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
I personally would love to remove it but I know it would affect the resale value (if my wife wouldn't kill me, I would put my tv right in front of it).

PLUS - how lame is flipping a switch to turn it on/off - it's like sitting around a lighter and admiring it.
Being from Florida, I appreciate the warmth of the fireplace over that of a lighter! We had the option of putting our TV in the niche, a pain in the neck, or putting it along the side wall. We opted to put plants in the niche, and put an armoir along the wall, with the furniture angled to see the TV but still appreciate the warm glow from our lighter... I mean, fireplace.
Many newer homes now, as Vicki said, are doing away with the niche - I'm seeing some great built-ins around the fireplaces that will accomodate a TV so that it's not so awkward.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 24,864 times
I can't understand people that put their TV over their fireplaces requiring you to look up at a 45 degree angle to watch it. Simply amazing (and uncomfortable) to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary