Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_terp View Post
I saw a copperhead last night on a trail in Lochmere. My kids and 2 dogs walked right past it, I totally did not see it. My wife luckily spotted it before we almost stepped on it. I'm 99% percent sure it is a copperhead based on the shape of the head and coloring. It slithered off into the woods and did not seem to be overly aggressive.
Looks like one to me.

I just avoid them and they avoid me.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Thanks for the reminder. There aren't many lifelike snake toys on Amazon for me, but I'm getting one anyway to start training the dogs to avoid them. I have one that is fearless and would probably get within striking distance out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are so many look a like snakes and most are harmless. I can't honestly believe someone called the police over a snake in a park.
And the police were OK with it! I don't get it!! What are they going to do about it?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
I'm not going to get close enough to determine what type of snake it is! If I see one, I'm heading in the opposite direction!

Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post
Please allow a moment of panic from this relocated Yankee.

I had no idea about the prevalence of snakes - I should have had that on my evaluation list when looking at places to relocate - ha ha
Yup:

Here is the range of copperheads.

Spring is the worst time for them as they come out of hibernation (and are hungry). Learn NEVER to step over a log in the woods without seeing what's there. Avoid leaf piles, and try to keep your pets out of the woods. Stamp your feet so they know you're coming, and they will try to get away.

Even those of us who've lived our whole lives here aren't happy to hear they're "especially prevalent" this year

Also, supposedly the babies are MORE dangerous than adults, as they haven't learned to "conserve their venom" yet. We found a single baby snake that sure looked like a copperhead under a pile of dead trees, and it's unlikely that there was just one...

Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yup:

Here is the range of copperheads.

Spring is the worst time for them as they come out of hibernation (and are hungry). Learn NEVER to step over a log in the woods without seeing what's there. Avoid leaf piles, and try to keep your pets out of the woods. Stamp your feet so they know you're coming, and they will try to get away.

Even those of us who've lived our whole lives here aren't happy to hear they're "especially prevalent" this year
and wear real shoes when out in wooded and natural areas! I see the woman pictured in the article was in flip flops.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Looks like one to me.

I just avoid them and they avoid me.
Me too, I see them a lot on the Al Buehler trail near Duke and and they just kind of slither on by if you don't step on them.

Even the one under my recycling bin only tried to strike when I poked it (I ended up relocating it)

Old 04-28-2016, 12:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Ahhh, the annual snake thread!

rt_terp, that was indeed a copperhead. Nice picture. Don't get too close.

Yes, Northern Water Snakes are often mistaken for Copperheads, but Northern Water Snakes are not venomous. They're one of the good guys — please let them do their thing.

Dogs process the venom much quicker than people. Take the dog to the vet, but they'll usually just give it a little Benadryl, painkillers, and antibiotics. My dogs have usually been fine the next day or even the same afternoon when they've been bitten. I have a pointer mix with a high prey drive who has been bitten 3 times. The last time she got it on the face and it swelled up really big with edema, but she only seemed to be in pain from the bite for a few hours. She just looked funny and pretty sorry she messed with that snake after that. This dog is the only one I've ever had that likes to play with snakes. She's a nut. She's been bitten 3 times and our other dog (who lived to be 16.5) got bitten once when he went to look to see what she was doing when she was barking at a snake. Our other dog (lived to be 17.5) never had a snake encounter, although he was very proud that time he caught an already dead squirrel.

Baby copperheads have fluorescent yellow tails. There are many small snakes that like to live under logs that aren't copperheads. Brown snakes are one.

I wear flip flops all summer. Don't go out barefoot at night to take out the trash if you live in a wooded area, though. Friend of mine did that and ended up in the hospital for a week.

My fave NC snake id site: Amphibians and Reptiles of North Carolina - Davidson Herpetology Laboratory

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Good point about the dog's ability to process venom. I'd still take them to the vet, but in most cases it's not a life threatening situation.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Copperheads are actually quite distinct looking. In a panic, most people look and see blocks of pattern and assume.

Watched a snake swim across a cove in Falls Lake the other day. Got close as he was about to climb out onto the shore, and saw it was a garter snake. Never seen those swimming like that. Have seen a LOT of snakes in the water at Falls this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary