Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Did you check how they are made? They actually have a flange thats the size of the regular filter and then they narrow down to the size of the typical return grill back box.
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC filters-image.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Did you check how they are made? They actually have a flange thatsnthensize of the regular filter and then they narrow down to the size of the typical return grill back box.
Oh.... I see that now. Hmmm.
I mostly see the 3M filters that are just 4" all the way.
Might have to look into it.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
My house (built in 1984) has five returns, each with a filter. Three of these use a 10"x10" filter and I'm having difficulty finding that size. I prefer to buy the "cheapies" and change them frequently. Please recommend a source for ten-by-tens.

A second choice is to buy 10"x24" filters and cut them down, making each into two ten-by-tens. That is a satisfactory work-around, but that size is also difficult to find.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Does it really matter whether you use the cheap ones that they sell in Harris Teeter or the more "premium" ones in Home Depot?
Never ever use the premium ones. They restrict the air flow too much and strain the the system way too much. Settle on somewhere in the Merv 5-7 range and you will be fine. Stay away from name brands found in big box stores. Search online and you will find great reviews on quality brands at excellent prices. As always, I buy mine on Amazon.

There is no set amount of time to change them, as some months you do not run the system at all. But when running 100% of the time, check them for a change every 30 days.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 AM

183 posts, read 197,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
My house (built in 1984) has five returns, each with a filter. Three of these use a 10"x10" filter and I'm having difficulty finding that size. I prefer to buy the "cheapies" and change them frequently. Please recommend a source for ten-by-tens.

A second choice is to buy 10"x24" filters and cut them down, making each into two ten-by-tens. That is a satisfactory work-around, but that size is also difficult to find.

Are you only interested in the high end filters? (Waste of money according to my HVAC company, as many have said they recommend using the cheapo filters and changing every month "when you pay the mortgage" lol)

I have a 10x20 in one room and I was able to pick up a years worth at lowes. They're like .68 per filter when you buy more than 10 of my memory serves. They're cardboard and some kind of synthetic material. Not the hepa type filters.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Honestly, why most look into changing those out to a larger, more common size return grill? A bigger filter grille won't hurt a thing and will cause less audible intake noise.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Are you only interested in the high end filters?
I am interested only in the "cheapies."

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
... A bigger filter grille ...
A last resort, but not beyond consideration.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
We installed a whole house filter in crawl, just before the furnace and then removed all other filters from the house. System is running great now and we only have to change the whole house filter once a year.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
We installed a whole house filter in crawl ...
That's another option for consideration. I favor individual filters at the return grilles because the single filter arrangement allows dust to collect inside the return ducts. As things stand my returns are clean.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary