Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 PM

184 posts, read 311,512 times

Advertisements

This is below normal temps for this time of the year lately as well. For a new resident, don't think this is what it is like in mid may. By now the dewpoints are on the rise as well as the temps and humidity is well known. Until the jet stream position we have now changes get used to the wet weather and cooler temps with some warming and then cooling and over and over. I dont see much long range that says we will change this pattern while El Nino and La Nina battle it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Local traffic in Morrisville is horrid these days during rush hour as there are many routes/people that need to drive through it and it's too many vehicles for mainly 2 lane roads. This should improve over time, but I avoid the area like the plague in the evenings until 6:30 or so.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post
This is below normal temps for this time of the year lately as well. For a new resident, don't think this is what it is like in mid may. By now the dewpoints are on the rise as well as the temps and humidity is well known. Until the jet stream position we have now changes get used to the wet weather and cooler temps with some warming and then cooling and over and over. I dont see much long range that says we will change this pattern while El Nino and La Nina battle it out
A side effect is my allergies have been absolutely terrible this year. I think some things are still flowering when normally they are done by end of April.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
A side effect is my allergies have been absolutely terrible this year. I think some things are still flowering when normally they are done by end of April.
For me, I think that last year's pollen was much worse here in Raleigh. I moved here at the beginning of April last year, and I can remember my eyes literally watering as I was going around looking at apartments due to all of the pine pollen. You could see the pollen all over cars in parking lots and blowing around on the pavement. This year didn't seem to be as bad, and my allergies haven't been as severe.

OP, if you suffer from allergies, you might want to find yourself a good allergist if/when you move here. With all of the pine trees in this area, combined with flowering trees, etc., there can be a lot of pollen in the air here.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have definitely been having temps below average for this time of year recently. On the news last night, one of the weather people said that normally May 10th is the average first 90 degree day here, yet we've been well under that lately. You know the heat and humidity will be here soon, so enjoy these below average temps while they last!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:41 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yes, we have definitely been having temps below average for this time of year recently. On the news last night, one of the weather people said that normally May 10th is the average first 90 degree day here, yet we've been well under that lately. You know the heat and humidity will be here soon, so enjoy these below average temps while they last!
Agree - the run up to the Memorial Day weekend looks definitely more like summer. Personally I'd prefer we never hit 90 but some do enjoy the heat.
Comfort here very much a dew point consideration. 90F, low humidity and shade much more comfortable to me than 80F, high humidity and sun.

Frank

Old 05-17-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Definitely the allergies have been awful this spring. Not only with shrubs and plants blooming at different times, but with all the rain, mold allergies are awful just as well nowadays

Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Historically speaking the average temp this time of the year should be in or around 80*. Historically speaking the first 90* day doesnt happen until late June but we know ma nature doesnt work on history, she will do what she wants to do.

Looking after the end of next week, it looks like early summer will be making an appearance with highs in the mid 80's and the humidity increasing, just in time for memorial day weekend The next week and a half though look warm but wet

Old 05-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Historically speaking the average temp this time of the year should be in or around 80*. Historically speaking the first 90* day doesnt happen until late June but we know ma nature doesnt work on history, she will do what she wants to do.
I just know what the TV weather people tell me about what is normal or average at what time around here. I know one of them said the average first 90 degree day was May 10th the other night on the news. Can't remember exactly who said it, but I most often watch WRAL or WNCN.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I just know what the TV weather people tell me about what is normal or average at what time around here. I know one of them said the average first 90 degree day was May 10th the other night on the news. Can't remember exactly who said it, but I most often watch WRAL or WNCN.
Not sure where they got that information from, Sure it can happen in early May or anytime in May to hit 90 here or there, but on the average the first 90* day start in late June and run through late August in Raleigh.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary