Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

I just dislike gyms. They usually smell weird and I don't like to exercise with other people making noise and wandering around.

Just my preference. So, we have a small home gym.

It suits our family.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:19 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
OP: Depending on your field and where you will work down here, several of the larger companies have gyms at work. Ours has tons of free weights and associated racks/benches/cages/etc along with cardio equipment, weight machines, kettle balls, etc. So, you may not need a home gym if you get in with a health-conscious company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
OP: Depending on your field and where you will work down here, several of the larger companies have gyms at work. Ours has tons of free weights and associated racks/benches/cages/etc along with cardio equipment, weight machines, kettle balls, etc. So, you may not need a home gym if you get in with a health-conscious company.
Are you hiring?

That's pretty awesome. Long ago, I worked for Polar heart rate monitors and they had treadmills and ellipticals but nothing like that.

I asked my current employer about installing equipment in our basement which isn't being used and was turned down due to the liability risk.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
That sounds on par with my current gym and I pay $38

But I don't use the pool, sauna, courts, etc. I use two things in the free weights area and a bunch of machines. The reason why I go to such a big gym with all those amenities is because it's a mile and a half from my house. It's very popular though, and in January it's awful with all the New Years resolutioners.

I hoped maybe people were more respectful down there, and that I wouldn't have to deal with the same things. I know the equipment and your hands are going to be dirty, but I draw the line at blood! If you bleed on something, wipe it down and sanitize it, for $%^&*^& sake! So gross. I have to carry around paper towels to wipe down equipment and as a paper barrier BEFORE I use it. I'm not a germophobe but I'm not going to put my head down on your sweat spot because you can't be bothered to wipe it off. Ugh.

I'm getting a little bitter about this, can you tell?
Let's see, if only there was a place that was super clean where the employees and users wiped down the equipment religiously, had a few free weights and a bunch of machines. Man, if only that gym existed and wasn't called Planet Fitness, it would be an awesome fit for someone like yourself!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Let's see, if only there was a place that was super clean where the employees and users wiped down the equipment religiously, had a few free weights and a bunch of machines. Man, if only that gym existed and wasn't called Planet Fitness, it would be an awesome fit for someone like yourself!
If you knew even the first thing about strength training, that went beyond doing curls in front of a mirror, you wouldn't keep suggesting that.

The PF I visited didn't even have barbells.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I made some good points about my reasoning and you're just being sarcastic. It escapes me why you care so much about how I spend my money, unless being critical is the whole point?

I was trying to be kind before but now, I'll just be blunt. I don't like your sparkling clean amazing gym, so what. I think their rules, pizza parties, and lunk alarm are gimmicky and stupid. It's not for me. If you like it, congrats. I don't.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If you knew even the first thing about strength training, that went beyond doing curls in front of a mirror, you wouldn't keep suggesting that.

The PF I visited didn't even have barbells.
Bro

Do you even lift?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I made some good points about my reasoning and you're just being sarcastic. It escapes me why you care so much about how I spend my money, unless being critical is the whole point?

I was trying to be kind before but now, I'll just be blunt. I don't like your sparkling clean amazing gym, so what. I think their rules, pizza parties, and lunk alarm are gimmicky and stupid. It's not for me. If you like it, congrats. I don't.
I've had several different gym memberships over the years starting in high school and also travel quite a bit and use various gyms affiliated with hotels (no, not hotel gyms but gyms they've set up passes with) and I can't for the life of me understand where this hate of PF comes from, except maybe because they are affiliated with the Biggest Loser. It's a clean, well kept, no frills gym. I don't gain or lose anything by you attending one.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Threads about gym preferences deteriorate faster than political threads.

Quote:
I've had several different gym memberships over the years starting in high school and also travel quite a bit and use various gyms affiliated with hotels (no, not hotel gyms but gyms they've set up passes with) and I can't for the life of me understand where this hate of PF comes from, except maybe because they are affiliated with the Biggest Loser. It's a clean, well kept, no frills gym. I don't gain or lose anything by you attending one.
I think what they were trying to say was just that PF didn't contain enough serious power lifting equipment for their training regimens. Different people have different goals and that's perfectly fine. I have had to adjust my expectations over the years.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Threads about gym preferences deteriorate faster than political threads.

I think what they were trying to say was just that PF didn't contain enough serious power lifting equipment for their training regimens. Different people have different goals and that's perfectly fine. I have had to adjust my expectations over the years.
No I completely understood except they mentioned using lots of machines. Typically weight lifters use free weights exclusively or almost exclusively with minimal reliance on machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary