Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmaBSN View Post
TIs everyone generally nice in Durham (as opposed to the not nice NJ I'm now in)?
FWIW, there are A LOT of people in the Triangle from New Jersey. I guess that they have to come to NC to find their niceness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
FWIW, there are A LOT of people in the Triangle from New Jersey...
and Pennsylvania ... I see the tags all of the time.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM

22 posts, read 26,313 times
To be honest, the people I know who left NJ did it to find nice. They were nice people who couldn't take the negativity anymore.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 PM

19 posts, read 32,218 times
My boyfriend and I are leaving the triangle because it's too family oriented. I've found that there isn't much to do for adults who don't want children. And so many of the activities here are extremely child-centric.

And it's been very hard to make friends here. Because so many people have children, it's hard to meet 20 and 30 somethings who have time for friendships. I moved here from San Diego where it was effortless to find friends. We can't wait to leave!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleesAlterEgo View Post
My boyfriend and I are leaving the triangle because it's too family oriented. I've found that there isn't much to do for adults who don't want children. And so many of the activities here are extremely child-centric.

And it's been very hard to make friends here. Because so many people have children, it's hard to meet 20 and 30 somethings who have time for friendships. I moved here from San Diego where it was effortless to find friends. We can't wait to leave!
You have an interesting point of view, one I suspect that is based more on your own personality than the area's. Since moving to the Triangle I have met many childless couples who love the area.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmaBSN View Post
To be honest, the people I know who left NJ did it to find nice. They were nice people who couldn't take the negativity anymore.
Yes, yes, and yes! As a former NJ resident, I approve this message. I remember when we first moved here, I had to shed my NJ negativity. The people were so nice, I initially found it off putting. I didn't quite know how to process the friendliness. I built this wall around me and didn't know how to begin to tear it down.

In NJ, everybody seems to be rush, rush, rush, me, me, me, get out of my way if you move too slowly.

Now when we go back to visit my in-laws, I feel like a fish out of water. I can't wait to get back on the road to come back HOME! When I see that Welcome to Durham sign on 85, I feel the warm fuzzies.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Eh, I knew and still do know a lot of really nice people in NJ, growing up there. I always bristle at the mention of people not being nice because it's misunderstood here. It's not that at their core, people from NJ are jerks.

There is a culture of hypervigilance, though, plus the massive rushing (that I feel is partially traffic based) :-D

So OP - there are a lot of childfree people in Durham (I'm one of them) and I think it's a fine area for the childfree. I'm more concerned that you find Bridgewater to be "not nice" and you're seeking nice and that may be a major reason for your move? I think I know what you are looking for - more of a general friendliness among strangers and customer service? You will find that here, absolutely. Even the DMV

Old 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
How cool. Never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for bringing that info to the forum, Francois.
I have mentioned it many times before--anytime a someone asks about childfree experiences

No Kidding has chapters in many cities, actually, and a National convention I believe.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
Child Free & in N. Durham. We have no problems with finding / connecting to other CF folks.

There did used to be a CF meetup also - I haven't been on there in a while but another option.

We met a few other CF couples & then fell into the larger group which is a diverse group (CF by choice, by chance, empty nesters, etc). So my guess is once you meet another couple or two the rest will just sort of happen by introductions.

For the area, just pay attention when looking at houses. You can get a feel quickly if a subdivision has lots of kids, is dog-friendly, mostly older couples, etc. Our neighborhood is a combination so is fairly quiet & no issues with kids running though our yard. And really, what you get moving in will change & you can't control who buys the house next door/down the street.

As for things to do, get out & explore. We find plenty (too much really) that is adult oriented (tonight at the Museum of Life & Science is the adult only "Science of Eats"). Our problem is too much to do & not enough time to do it all . If you get online with the city, museums, Durham Magazine, etc. you'll start to get a feel for everything going on in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary